The Wesley Moræs Thread | Page 45 | Vital Football

The Wesley Moræs Thread

It's happening already if you read the last 2 pages of this thread.

As said, feel sorry for him on a personal level, but he's an awful footballer and can't help but think this will keep us up.

Surely that is only if we get a suitable replacement? Kodjia looks a spent force, too many injuries (unless he all of a sudden clicks with a run in the team, *he says optimistically*)

If you mean it will force them to buy and we might get someone who can regularly score, then yes, maybe !

Completely disagree with the above. The only criticism aimed at him that I consider to be unfair is about his lack of goals scored and the reason for that is that we honestly rarely create chances for him. However, I still feel we have wasted 22 million on him due to the following which cannot be disputed:

Negatives:
He is usually second to balls played in the air or along the ground.
Atrocious first touch and sometimes misses aerial balls completely.
Poor finishing skills and ball control.
Not being able to keep himself onside on many occasions previously.
Putting his hands up in the air in frustration often when he loses the ball or a decision is not in his favor given by the ref.
Does not make himself available to receive a pass by getting into good areas.
Poor at holding the ball up to bring others into play.
Zero dribbling skills.

Positives:
Does a lot of running around to close players down which is fantastic.

He has a lot to improve and this injury to him has happened at a really bad time. I wish him a speedy recovery. I however feel that his time here as our main striker has come to an end and we have to look for a new striker to replace him sharpish.
Not quite sure what you're disagreeing with to be honest. The point I made is that some of the criticism was ludicrous. The infantile nicknames like "Wastely" and "Weskey" for example? Some have referred to him as a "useless twat" among other things. These are Villa fans talking about a Villa player ffs.
Some of your "negative" points are quite valid, but for the "throwing the arms up in the air" bit I'd suggest you look at Jack or John McGinn a little more closely next time they play. All players do it when they feel they've been wronged. As far as being offside... you sure about that? The only time I can remember him being given offside was the VAR decision at Burnley. And as for his inability to hold the ball up, see how many times he gets the ball with his back to goal and is surrounded by 2/3 defenders and has literally zero options to pass to because our midfield is 30+ yards away.
If criticism is deserved, in the most part we can blame the club staff for playing him in an unfamiliar position and most importantly for not having/purchasing adequate options in his position (Kodjia and Davis).
I'm all for a reasoned logical argument and we're all entitled to our opinions.
The lad deserves criticism at times as does any player who under-performs (as I said in my post) but I'll stick to what I said in my post, some of it is ludicrous.

Sounds like Mee is getting the same treatment Tyrone did for stamping on peoples heads.
Injuries happen who are we blaming for Heatons the goalpost?
So you think Mee is blameless? And I haven't seen anything in the media highlighting the reckless challenge. In fact they've barely covered the injuries to Heaton or Wesley, yet the Calum Chambers one is plastered on every front page.

So you think Mee is blameless? And I haven't seen anything in the media highlighting the reckless challenge. In fact they've barely covered the injuries to Heaton or Wesley, yet the Calum Chambers one is plastered on every front page.

No, but the ref never even gave a foul or the Buzzards on VAR never thought it was either.
There was what 3000 villa fans right in front of it, no reaction, only Douglas Luiz bothered to see if he was ok until the stretcher came out. The ref wasn't exactly surrounded by angry Villa players either.
In slow motion and still photographs, it looks bad and the outcome has been bad but I don't think Mee went to Do Him any more than Tyrone meant to stamp on that blokes head last season

Sounds like Mee is getting the same treatment Tyrone did for stamping on peoples heads.
Injuries happen who are we blaming for Heatons the goalpost?

I blame his never give up attitude, poor bastard, hope he comes back as strong or stronger, hoping this injury doesn't have any long term effects, gulp.

Anyway, it's done, - I wish him well too. But, please now give Davis a decent run. He is not untried, and deserves to be trusted. Otherwise I fear he will be gone in the Summer, and two years down the line fans will be asking why did we ever let him go - just like the once up and coming Robinson, Johnston, Stevens, Albrighton, Westwood and Lowton etc before him. Not saying they were all great, or good enough for Villa now, but they all left for nothing or next to nothing, yet operated successfully for other clubs at a high level. There are always mistakes and 'what ifs' in football, but the likes of O Hare and Davis have done enough for me to deserve a proper chance. Youth itself should never be a barrier to success - and isn't elsewhere in the PL, even at the very highest level.

We cannot rely on Davis mate, he is constantly injured.

Always has been, i quite rate him but something is not right.

We can't just "go with Davis", he's untested at this level and always injured so that would be a ludicrous decision if we made it IMO.

Young players at any club in anything like our situation are going to find it difficult to get a look in after Xmas - there's just not enough time to experiment with them.

Unlike sticking with our goalkeepers, I agree we need another striker, for sure. All I said is Davis deserves his chance - but we cannot rely on any one striker, whoever they are.

I'm sure he does and I'll be keen to see more of him as I've hardly seen him play at all but second fiddle to someone of a proven ability has to be the play now IMO. Unfortunately, being injured all the time when you're on the cusp of a breakthrough means you miss chances to make that breakthrough.

Anyway, it's done, - I wish him well too. But, please now give Davis a decent run. He is not untried, and deserves to be trusted. Otherwise I fear he will be gone in the Summer, and two years down the line fans will be asking why did we ever let him go - just like the once up and coming Robinson, Johnston, Stevens, Albrighton, Westwood and Lowton etc before him. Not saying they were all great, or good enough for Villa now, but they all left for nothing or next to nothing, yet operated successfully for other clubs at a high level. There are always mistakes and 'what ifs' in football, but the likes of O Hare and Davis have done enough for me to deserve a proper chance. Youth itself should never be a barrier to success - and isn't elsewhere in the PL, even at the very highest level.

Did he not get a decent run in the Championship and is he not, sadly, forever picking up injuries? Even in the youth team if memory serves me right (which to be fair, at the moment, is a big if)

We cannot rely on Davis mate, he is constantly injured.

Always has been, i quite rate him but something is not right.
Sorry about Wesley and heaton. We can hardly afford injuries, whatever their respective merits. We need replacements for both in January. What we have in reserve is not good or reliable enough.

Not quite sure what you're disagreeing with to be honest. The point I made is that some of the criticism was ludicrous. The infantile nicknames like "Wastely" and "Weskey" for example? Some have referred to him as a "useless twat" among other things. These are Villa fans talking about a Villa player ffs.
Some of your "negative" points are quite valid, but for the "throwing the arms up in the air" bit I'd suggest you look at Jack or John McGinn a little more closely next time they play. All players do it when they feel they've been wronged. As far as being offside... you sure about that? The only time I can remember him being given offside was the VAR decision at Burnley. And as for his inability to hold the ball up, see how many times he gets the ball with his back to goal and is surrounded by 2/3 defenders and has literally zero options to pass to because our midfield is 30+ yards away.
If criticism is deserved, in the most part we can blame the club staff for playing him in an unfamiliar position and most importantly for not having/purchasing adequate options in his position (Kodjia and Davis).
I'm all for a reasoned logical argument and we're all entitled to our opinions.
The lad deserves criticism at times as does any player who under-performs (as I said in my post) but I'll stick to what I said in my post, some of it is ludicrous.

Disagreed with all of the reasons you listed in his defence. He is being rightly criticized in my view and until he starts showing that he at least possesses basic footballing skills I am not going to change what I feel about him. Even against Burnely he missed two chances, one of which he can be forgiven for missing. The goal he scored was hit straight at the keeper but fortunately for him, it went in. As for putting their arms up in the air in frustration, I know McG and Jack G do it as well, but at least they are worth something to the team unlike Wasteley who is useless.

I can accept him not scoring for us as we all know that he gets almost zero service, but when he does get those rare chances, what is his conversion to goals like? However, what cannot be forgiven is a 22 mill pound striker lacking the skills I listed.