The Wesley Moræs Thread | Page 27 | Vital Football

The Wesley Moræs Thread

I went to the Liverpool game with a friend who is a Liverpool fan and former rugby international and coach. He had never seen Wesley play before. During the second half when Wesley was again on the floor indignant at not getting a decision my friend said he was convinced that Wesley needs the help of a psychologist/sports psychologist. Grealish has referred to him being grumpy in interview and I thought from his very first interview there was an issue so my friends comments chimed with what I thought. There may be a good footballer there but he’s not right mentally and needs help. I’m sure we would see an improved player if he looked like he was enjoying himself on the pitch.

I’d second that. His temperament doesn’t look ideal for a professional and at this age he should be looking to learn as much as he can.

Victims rarely become winners.

Agreed Crimson. With that said, his header miss last game, was a perfect pass.

I'd - if Kodjia is fit enough and can stay fit - would give Wes a break, bring him on with 20 - 30 mins to go, play him in the Cup v Liverpool and see if he can find his feet that way. This isn't working and his confidence will be sinking.

Can't be easy looking this poor, having made such a big move.

Hopefully after the January transfer window he is dropped to the bench, I think it will do him good. He's only in there at the moment because we don't have a lot of choice. Davis out injured atm and Kodjia seems to have lost his way, but that said, they still look the better option to me.

Given the fact that Kodj is not and doesnt look like doing it, and Kienan is out for the forseeable future we appear to be stuck with Wes, like it or not.
So we either carry on banging long balls up to him that he seems incapable of holding up, or we get someone closer to him to give him support.
Whatever, we dont have a lot of options because I think Smithy would have tried them by now.

What he needs most is coaching rather than writing off. If he still isn’t doing enough after coaching then we have an expensive problem.

I actually think us signing a more proven striker as a few of us have posted such as Mitro would either be a blessing in disguise for him or a relief. In no way would it be a bad thing for anyone to have some serious competition.

He seems hopeless in the air for a big guy but decent with the ball at his feet, though I agree not holding it up well. I’d like to see him come deeper and look for the ball a bit when it’s obvious midfield is overrun. His struggle to get going isn’t helped by a defence passing the ball around for a few nervous moments before passing back to Heaton to hoof it upfield. It’s up to Dean to get the best out of all of them but the only one who seems to be able to do that is Jack.

On the subject of all the square passing, slow build up and hoofing the ball up the pitch, I thought we left that behind when Bruce left. It doesn't strike me as Dean's preferred method of play. I hope, when Jack gets back, we can revert to a more aggressive pattern.

I remember seeing something years ago which reminded me of him, moved exactly the same, it was pulling Steptoes cart.

So big Wes doesnt like the weather in England! What a surprise, I've never met a Brazilian or any other South American who does. But after living in sub-tropical Belgium for 3 years, surely he is used to a bit of rain. He also spent a year in Slovakia where it is bastard freezing during the winter months. Move about a bit more and you wouldnt get as cold on a match day

So big Wes doesnt like the weather in England! What a surprise, I've never met a Brazilian or any other South American who does. But after living in sub-tropical Belgium for 3 years, surely he is used to a bit of rain. He also spent a year in Slovakia where it is bastard freezing during the winter months. Move about a bit more and you wouldnt get as cold on a match day

Even English people don't like the weather in England.

I’ve just read a quote attributed to Wesley on social media so may need fact checking but here it is: “In England, they compare me with Drogba and Diego Costa, and I agree with them. My physique matches them but I’m fast on the pitch despite being tall. This is my characteristics”.

Now I think Big Wes has had a lot of premature stick, albeit completely fair to a point. I’ve defended him in this thread or at least put forward arguments to give him more time. Whether this is a translation thing, the only comparison he has to either of those is his size because no part of his game is even close to what those guys can do. Wes doesn’t have lots of pace, he’s not slow but I don’t think he’s particularly quick and takes a while to get going. I seem to remember Drogba being pretty quick and having good acceleration.

If he does have a massive ego (because he’s closer to a Niall Quinn than Drogba) then he needs bringing right back down to earth.

I’ve just read a quote attributed to Wesley on social media so may need fact checking but here it is: “In England, they compare me with Drogba and Diego Costa, and I agree with them. My physique matches them but I’m fast on the pitch despite being tall. This is my characteristics”.

Now I think Big Wes has had a lot of premature stick, albeit completely fair to a point. I’ve defended him in this thread or at least put forward arguments to give him more time. Whether this is a translation thing, the only comparison he has to either of those is his size because no part of his game is even close to what those guys can do. Wes doesn’t have lots of pace, he’s not slow but I don’t think he’s particularly quick and takes a while to get going. I seem to remember Drogba being pretty quick and having good acceleration.

If he does have a massive ego (because he’s closer to a Niall Quinn than Drogba) then he needs bringing right back down to earth.
I have also defended Wes on these pages and he may yet come good but if he really believes that bollocks above then in his own mind he probably cant understand the stick that hes getting.

Bloody hell JT must have told him he wants him to play like Drogba, one big problem there Drogba would get on the end of any long ball and hold it until help arrived or he'd score from it
Wesley couldn't trap a wet bag of cement