The Wembley Playoff Final Thread; Huddersfield Town Vs Nottingham Forest, sponsored by every loyal supporter of the 21st Century | Page 41 | Vital Football

The Wembley Playoff Final Thread; Huddersfield Town Vs Nottingham Forest, sponsored by every loyal supporter of the 21st Century

Woah, hold on there a minute! football actually existed before Sky officially invented it in 1992, you know.

We had people saying the same things about United in the 90's when they won the treble, and they were wrong

The current side would not get close to the best side in English history; they would not be fit to grace the same pitch.

The team we had at the time were fairly handy, and used to beat the best team in history now and then.

I would love to have seen Haarland come up against the likes of Burns and Lloyd, although I fear it would have been a complete mismatch.
Providing its the same refs and rules from 1977/78 Haaland would have had a nightmare

And there's no VAR

Bearing in mind Kenny was one of the nastiest players you could possibly face as a striker

Yet Kenny only got one yellow card that League winning season

You were allowed 3 or 4 bad tackles before you got a booking so with Kenny and Larry combining together that would make 6 terrible challenges on Haaland the first 6 times he got the ball. And they would take it in turns picking him up and warning him what's coming next

And you had to pretty much head butt people right in front of the ref or linesman to get sent off back then.

And Kenny always made sure the ref or linesman weren't looking when he head butted people or stamped on their feet!

Last edited:
Providing its the same refs and rules from 1977/78 Haaland would have had a nightmare

And there's no VAR

Bearing in mind Kenny was one of the nastiest players you could possibly face as a striker

Yet Kenny only got one yellow card that League winning season

You were allowed 3 or 4 bad tackles before you got a booking so with Kenny and Larry combining together that would make 6 terrible challenges on the first 6 times he got the ball. And they would take it in turns picking him up and warning him what's coming next

And you had to pretty much head butt people right in front of the ref or linesman to get sent off back then.

And Kenny always made sure the ref or linesman weren't looking when he head butted people or stamped on their feet!
Yes, but Burns was a brilliant defender.

He never had to hit a player twice; they would rarely come near him after the first tackle.

Still can't believe we actually went and bloody did it. To see where we are now is bonkers and I think Pope said it best last season, that if we had gone down at the first time of asking it probably would have soured the memory. Staying up cemented it for all time.

Still trying to explain to people why it was such a big deal is tiring to say the least. Had we been in the Prem say only a few seasons prior, that level of noise and absolute unbridled outpouring of joy would not have been even remotely close to the same level. 23 years of pain washed away in an instant. Now we have a team full of internationals and are dominating every deadline day it seems.

Last edited:
Because I was there, beating Yeovil 3-2 to return to the second tier was more emotional.

Julian Bennett with a tackle that would probably be a red card in the premier league, followed by a cracker into the far corner, set the ball rolling. 3-1 up but Yeovil scored and it was unbelievably tense. When the whistle went I heard this roar erupt from my throat, years of hurt banished.

Pity it took 14 more years to get back to the first tier...but better late than never.