The War on Drugs - Good /Bad? | Vital Football

The War on Drugs - Good /Bad?

TuBBz

Are You Local?
So what's everyone's thoughts on the War on Drugs?

Am I interested in people's thoughts on The War?

Do you think that all drugs should be legalized or just some/none?

Personally, I'm in favour of legalising drugs and then educating the masses and helping addicts rather than criminalising them

Most people should be aware that the war is not working and that people who wish to use drugs will get them either way, fueling organised crime

Thoughts, please?

[youtube=bdkrZF8pQu4]

We all know the effect that Ecstasy had on the terraces in the late 80's and if you don't then I suggest a google search

If Ecstasy was made pure instead of criminals putting all sorts in them they would be a lot safer and any related deaths would plummet

As I said previously people want to take these drugs so surely the safer they are to take the better?

[youtube=zZMETFXFE24]

I think there is a case for legalising drugs and educating people. If I was to buy drugs, I would rather know that I'm buying a clean product, rather than a drug that has been contaminated with cleaning chemicals or talcum powder.

Your spot on tubbs. Not all drugs should be legal though. Legalising drugs would create tax and like GT said make using safer and put dealers out of business. I was cautioned for position of canabis (about £10 worth) is only just gone off my record after 10 years. You would think the police had more important things to do.

TuBBz - 11/11/2016 08:42

Personally, I'm in favour of legalising drugs and then educating the masses and helping addicts rather than criminalising them

Most people should be aware that the war is not working and that people who wish to use drugs will get them either way, fueling organised crime

:110:

The war on drugs was a horrifically bad idea.

If people want to take drugs, they will take them. The legality has no bearing on it.

If crack was legal, would you buy it?

Legalising drugs would benefit everyone and take billions out of the black economy. It would also stop the horrific murder rate. Apparently, 27,000 civilians were murdered in Mexico in 2011. That's just in Mexico.

I'm a pretty conservative guy in a lot of ways. I don't really drink. I don't take drugs. I've smoked a little weed in my time but it's never had much appeal to me. Still, legalising drugs would allow people access to clean drugs and would prevent all of the murders around the world. It would also generate taxes and free up the police to catch some criminals.

I wonder what percentage of crime in the UK relates to drugs in one way or another? I'd imagine it's quite a big percentage.

TuBBz - 11/11/2016 08:42

This, for the simple reason that the war on drugs (now 40 odd years old) hasn't worked and the mess is getting larger.

Same as the underground market for steroids etc.

As much as some are anti drugs, others will always want to take something. I'd rather education, I'd rather the drugs to be legit, the effects of them explained and the ability for them to be correctly dispensed.

The notion that this can just all be stopped is not realistic, trying to stop drug barons in a war has proven impossible, take away their market though might.

Could the mess be any worse? And with education and the right system, some addicts might actually be able to be helped off the drugs because they wouldn't be in fear of being arrested for admitting they are taking something.

The danger now is what a lot of these drugs are cut with, people are sold all sorts of junk.

I don't think all drugs should be legalised. Substances like heroin should not be readily available to anyone who wants it - yes it may be less harmful due to the drugs being "clean" but that does not mean they are perfectly fine and everyone should be allowed to use it whenever they want.

Some drugs like marijuana are probably no worse than what's already legal (cigarettes, alcohol, shisha etc) so certain drugs I agree should be legalised.

I was watching Judge Ringer the other day. There was a young man on there that had managed to turn his life around from being a heroine addict. He stated that he had started with cannabis and that had lead to heroine. He was very lucky. Graveyards are full of former addicts including my friends 21 year old brother. Which drugs would you legalise? How do you know if we are losing the war on drugs when we have no idea how many people have not become addicts due to it being illegal?

The war on drugs has been going on for 40 years and I've yet to see any stats saying it's been won.

Legalising doesn't mean promoting, advertising and say woohoo everyone take this shit. As TuBBz and a few others have said, it's about education and having medical support.

I did state in my post that it might (MIGHT... the current method isn't working, the sad story from Wurzel shows the results of some of these awful drugs) and prisons are full of addicts who need help not locking up where there are even more drugs.

it can't be swept under the carpet. It hasn't been stamped out with customers, war on drugs in countries producing them, etc. There have been massive efforts in Columbia for instance but still their main export is cocaine.

It is a very difficult subject for sure and when people say legalise, or at least my understanding of what most are saying, it doesn't mean a free for all, go to Sainsbury and buy some heroine with your potatoes. But for addicts to be at least getting the genuine drug, being looked after needle wise and getting help would be better than the hotch potch approach now I would think.

Fags and alcohol are major killers as well btw, although I guess that is a separate argument.

I would rather a doctor or chemist dispensing drugs that people are going to take than some tin pot gangster. I'd rather think that no one will ever want to take the addictive awful type of drugs but it just isn't realistic and the problem over the last 40 years appears to me to have just got worse and worse, partly because there are so many areas now where there are no work prospects, no industry etc and people are simply 'checking out'..

Sasquatch - 11/11/2016 11:51

I was cautioned for position of canabis (about £10 worth) is only just gone off my record after 10 years. You would think the police had more important things to do.

Its illegal, you got caught. Doesn't make you a bad person but your fault and not the police's for doing their job. And yes they have got more important things to do but because you got caught with a pissy bit cannabis they had to spend time with you rather than deal with more important crime. Write to your MP, they make the laws not the police.

A copper with a bit of sense would turn a blind eye. However taking me to the station for several hours and have a DNA swab seems a bit ott. Then I have a record for 10 years. My only crime was being daft enough to get caught.
The war of drugs is against anyone that want to explore there own consciousness.

I think legalizing weed/cannabis has to be the first step. It's already happened in some parts of the US (of all places).

As long as there is education about it. People prone to certain mental health issues should not be smoking weed, or least they should know what they're doing, and not go full blown Amsterdam chronic shit the first time they try it.

Same with acid and mushrooms. I think they should be available for anyone that wants them, but again, maybe you should need a psych evaluation first after which you have a card that allows you to buy them! Of course, people could say the same about alcohol, but what ya gonna do?

As for hard stuff like heroin, I don't know, legal or not, I wouldn't go near it. Unless they can engineer it some how so it's harmless and not life-destroying addictive, if that was case maybe I'd try it once. Or every day.

Sasquatch - 11/11/2016 23:23
The war of drugs is against anyone that want to explore there own consciousness.

Tell that to the prostitute crying out for help from the authorities but who can't escape being fed crack and heroin by her pimp to make sure she gets out on the streets and can get through more punters a night.

Nah screw the war on drugs, no point. Make it legal. No pimps, no crack and heroin prostitutes, everyone will fall into line and take drugs responsibly. There will not be an underground market undercutting the legal market for those who don't want to take their drugs at the behest of the state. Take the crap added to drugs out. Excellent idea that, make them more pure therefore stronger and more addictive.

Meanwhile the NHS crumbles under more strain as they have to fund people trotting up to get their free fix from medical establishments that i as a tax payer will be funding from an already empty well.

Make drugs legal?. Hippy bullshit.

While we are at it the war on terrorism isnt working so lets make terrorism legal.

There needs to be a change of strategy as what they are doing isn't working. They introduced methadone as a way of getting people clean. The trouble is they become addicted to that instead