The War on Drugs - Good /Bad? | Page 3 | Vital Football

The War on Drugs - Good /Bad?

well remembered re this thread BB

I think at some stage there is going to be the need for some very grown up conversations about the drug situation. The current sweeping it under the carpet approach just doesn't work. Drugs exist, they will continue to exist.

That went be happening anytime soon with those rabble in parliament.

They are too just humiliating and screwing up The U.K to be bothered with such matters

well remembered re this thread BB

I think at some stage there is going to be the need for some very grown up conversations about the drug situation. The current sweeping it under the carpet approach just doesn't work. Drugs exist, they will continue to exist.

There's too much common sense in this post, so I'm going to block you and put you on a list.

Not just Parliament though KK. It is the public discourse and also lack of education as well. Drugs are bad. It just doesn't work, especially when the Gov make a fortune out of two proven killers but outlaw others.

I often wonder how far drug legalisation or decriminalisation should go. Marijuana seems like a no brainer. Mushrooms, LSD, ecstasy all seem like prime candidates too.

When it gets to the more destructive drugs like cocaine and heroin it's hard to argue that they should be readily available for all who want them but we've all seen the result of criminalising them.

I'd also like to see more work done on the demand side.

Is LSD a prime candidate do you think?

With cocaine, I've only just recently read an article in Men's Health, the criminal gangs behind that drug is amazing really. UK is the largest user in Europe. So as you say, work needs to be done on the demand side, for sure, but also, if we were all grown ups in this world, isn't there an argument that leans towards the fact people are going to use drugs, so a safe supply ('safe' if you prefer) is better than drug cartels and gangs selling any old shite and killing people that get in their way.

It's not an easy debate at all is it?

Is LSD a prime candidate do you think?

With cocaine, I've only just recently read an article in Men's Health, the criminal gangs behind that drug is amazing really. UK is the largest user in Europe. So as you say, work needs to be done on the demand side, for sure, but also, if we were all grown ups in this world, isn't there an argument that leans towards the fact people are going to use drugs, so a safe supply ('safe' if you prefer) is better than drug cartels and gangs selling any old shite and killing people that get in their way.

It's not an easy debate at all is it?

No, it isn't. Wherever you draw the line will be wrong but we know that the current policies are only making the situation worse.

There is definitely an arguement for legalising everything and removing the gangsters from the equation.

The opioid crisis in the US is fascinating. The Sackler family are getting most of the blame for making the drugs but nobody seems to want to look at the circumstances that would make millions of people feel that taking opium was better than the reality of their lives.

There is definitely an arguement for legalising everything and removing the gangsters from the equation.

That's a quite a problem though isn't it, the gangsters. I don't know if you remember all the head shops getting burned out in Dublin by the gangs, they obviously weren't happy about their business being affected.

That's a quite a problem though isn't it, the gangsters. I don't know if you remember all the head shops getting burned out in Dublin by the gangs, they obviously weren't happy about their business being affected.

That was after I'd moved here. It does show that people would rather get their drugs from shops than dodgy dealers.

for Canada since cannabis was legalised those using 'illegal' sources has dropped a bit from 51% to 38% which perhaps doesn't quite offset first time users doubling to 650K.
Suspect dodgy dealers will always be involved as they are for fags and booze now.

El Chapo's wife has been arrested in Texas. Apparently, she had been in Washington and was on her way back to Mexico. I wonder what she was doing in Washington.

I've had this idea in my head that US law inforcement picks sides in the War on Drugs. I'm not sure where I got it from but it would be very easy for them to tip the scales for one group or another. Turn a blind eye to shipments from one gang while stopping everything from another gang. Arresting key members of this gang but not that gang etc.

Did I get this idea from films or does it have any basis in real life?

Im not into conspiracy theories as a rule.
But you do have to ask yourself how much input governments around the world have on drugs.
There is that much money in it, you would assume every government has a finger in a pie somewhere.
Some countries obviously more so but it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if the UK and USA governement somehow take their share. Not sure how but i would be shocked if they didnt.
If you tested the houses of parliaments toilets for cocaine i would be amazed at a negative result.

El Chapo's wife has been arrested in Texas. Apparently, she had been in Washington and was on her way back to Mexico. I wonder what she was doing in Washington.

I've had this idea in my head that US law inforcement picks sides in the War on Drugs. I'm not sure where I got it from but it would be very easy for them to tip the scales for one group or another. Turn a blind eye to shipments from one gang while stopping everything from another gang. Arresting key members of this gang but not that gang etc.

Did I get this idea from films or does it have any basis in real life?
The Queen Of The South :thumbup:

If you tested the houses of parliaments toilets for cocaine i would be amazed at a negative result.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely it would probably be more prevalent on the seat at a guess.

Here's a new take that I got from a former police officer; busting drug gangs increases drug violence. It's a bit counter intuitive but you've seen the real effects with increases in knife and gun crime in the UK. It's not just in the UK but all around the world.

When a drug gang gets busted, it creates a vacuum in the drug market in that gang's area. Other gangs that have the capability rush to fill the vacuum. That creates it's own violence as the gangs fight it out over the "turf" but those turf wars are usually brief. The gang that wins is the most violent and well organised gang. Over time as the police bust more and more smaller gangs, this promotes the most violent and well organised gangs into ever greater positions of power, allowing them to spread their reach and their violence to an ever larger area.

In the end, that guy quit the police force and now advocates for the legalisation of all drugs.

I don't know if I'd like to see legalisation of 'all' drugs but I'd certainly like to see 'most of them' legalised.

Maybe a good starting point is to legalise drugs where the harm to the user (based on the evidence) is lower than alcohol. This means we wouldn't legalise heroin, crack cocaine, meth and other opioids stronger than heroin (e.g. fentanyl) but would legalise weed, LSD, mushrooms, ecstasy and other psychedelics (which are all pretty fun btw).

Cocaine also wouldn't be a good drug to legalise IMO... I do think there will be a time in the not too distant future where weed is completely legal. That drug seems to be getting legalised in a lot of places right now.

Last edited: