The Vital Villa Music Thread | Page 415 | Vital Football

The Vital Villa Music Thread

Part of my passion for music and pop culture in general has always been trying to find new artists who bring something of quality, that's different and representative of the times to my attention. Enjoying this young ladies left of centre work and attitude ATM.

Gillan is touring later this year doing his solo stuff (and some Deep Purple). He was my first gig, 1982 at the Odeon New Street. Not sure now though, last time I saw him with Purple was the early 90's and his voice was going (understandable) so might leave it and keep the memories instead!

Gillan is touring later this year doing his solo stuff (and some Deep Purple). He was my first gig, 1982 at the Odeon New Street. Not sure now though, last time I saw him with Purple was the early 90's and his voice was going (understandable) so might leave it and keep the memories instead!

For me, the run of Purple MK11 albums between 1970 -74, from In Rock to Who Do You Think You Are were great, however they trod a thin line between brilliant and pompous, prog over indulgence: although parts of the Burn album were decent, it seemed to me that after 1975, the egos and their urge to display their virtuosity overwhelmed them creatively.

I admit to knowing nothing of Gillan's solo output so can't comment. Some things are definitely of their time though. For me, Gillan's time was those Purple albums of the early 70's.

Liked all of Purple up to and including The Battle Rages on.

Solo stuff, probably of it's time so to speak, but they were good times and happy memories for me !

Liked all of Purple up to and including The Battle Rages on.

Solo stuff, probably of it's time so to speak, but they were good times and happy memories for me !

That's what counts most. My daughters keep telling me, when I'm dismissive of something they enjoy or pass judgement, all Art is a subjective matter of personal taste. I am not allowed to say that's good or that's rubbish.
Hmmm! :hmmm:

Last edited:
Been a huge Dead Can Dance fan for many years, never get tired of them, especially this one. It's been used in a few movies I think. The change around the 4 minute mark is epic.

Been a huge Dead Can Dance fan for many years, never get tired of them, especially this one. It's been used in a few movies I think. The change around the 4 minute mark is epic.

The mid 80's were a difficult time for me in terms of music. I had been fully involved in the punk and post punk era between 1977 -83. DJing at alternative clubs and gigs, and constantly attending club nights and gigs accross the Midlands and in London. Come 1984, in my mid 20's, the Goth scene seemed contrived and I found little to excite me. On reflection, I think I was suffering a musical come down and needed a break. As a result, bands such as Dead Can Dance rather passed me by at the time.

A rare glimpse into seeing Frank Sinatra recording a wonderful song and all in one take - What a professional performer and man, what a voice.

The mid 80's were a difficult time for me in terms of music. I had been fully involved in the punk and post punk era between 1977 -83. DJing at alternative clubs and gigs, and constantly attending club nights and gigs accross the Midlands and in London. Come 1984, in my mid 20's, the Goth scene seemed contrived and I found little to excite me. On reflection, I think I was suffering a musical come down and needed a break. As a result, bands such as Dead Can Dance rather passed me by at the time.

Did you ever go back and listen since? It was really only the first album that could be described as post-punk/goth, and a bit of the second album. On "Within The Realm of a Dying Sun" they became a completely different animal.

Did you ever go back and listen since? It was really only the first album that could be described as post-punk/goth, and a bit of the second album. On "Within The Realm of a Dying Sun" they became a completely different animal.

Must admit that I know nothing of their work, that track you posted was not quite what I expected. Not sure its my thing but I might dig a little. Cheers.

Must admit that I know nothing of their work, that track you posted was not quite what I expected. Not sure its my thing but I might dig a little. Cheers.

lol, yeah they quickly became more world/ambient/darkwave than goth or post-punk.

I find them fascinating, might not be for everyone, but yeah check out some more stuff, you never know.

This is another of my favourites, and a bit different. I do tend to prefer the Brendan Perry songs, even though Lisa Gerrard has an amazing voice.

A rare glimpse into seeing Frank Sinatra recording a wonderful song and all in one take - What a professional performer and man, what a voice.

Love a bit of Sinatra when I'm in the right mood. His 1950's renaissance of the Capitol years rendered some magical arrangements of many classic songs. Downloaded an anthology recently, my interest having been reawakened by a documentary series on his life and crimes.

Without a doubt, the ultimate male crooner, with Ella Fitzgerald taking the female honours.

Love a bit of Sinatra when I'm in the right mood. His 1950's renaissance of the Capitol years rendered some magical arrangements of many classic songs. Downloaded an anthology recently, my interest having been reawakened by a documentary series on his life and crimes.

Without a doubt, the ultimate male crooner, with Ella Fitzgerald taking the female honours.

In that case, I just know you will like this wonderful song and in my opinion, easily the best version ever.