The Unsigned 5 | Vital Football

The Unsigned 5

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
5 players whose contracts are due to expire have yet to sign on the dotted line to extend their stay with us.
Out of those 5 - Mellor, Vassell, Robertson & Spearing are 4 first team starters, Menga is a bit part squad player.

Mellor - A versatile player who after clearing the awards board in his first season here lost his starting RB place through injury and then the impressive form of Turton who secured and then cemented that spot.
Mellor was used, IMO to lesser effect in midfield, but he is a versaitle player who chipped in as CH on aoccassions and weighed in with a healthy goals return. He is a player I'd like to see us re-sign and keep.
Is he replacable or has he already been replaced?Since Turton has ousted him as RB yes and I think Nottingham has been bought in as his replacement.
Will he sign? - No

Vassell - Despite an injury prone 2 seasons his (game total is 69) he has been our top scorer in both of those seasons and averages a goal in under every 3 games.
He holds GB in high esteem and that's the key for me.
Is he replacable or has he already been replaced? At this time - no. he gives us something no other player in our squad does and he is a player oppo fans hate, but would love to have in their team.
Will he sign? - Out of the 5 - I think he poses the biggest chance of a yes

Robertson - A player who has come on in leaps and bounds in his time with us. Has plenty of admirers and is at an age where he is still to peak. Has formed a good relationship with Tilt and if he leaves that is a worry as Tilt is still inexperienced at league level and there is no doubt playing alongside CR has helped.
Is he replacable or has he already been replaced? He is replacable- prone to a gaff a game and at this time a replacement hasn't been signed. We have a distinct lack of CH's which makes Aimsons' release even stranger.
Will he sign? It's a no for me at the minute - clearly talking to other clubs I thinnk he will be off to Sunderland.

Spearing -Busy player who plays the simple stuff well in midfield. Worked well alongside Ryan and was a virtual ever present after his late start to the season. Played thatb holding role well,
Is he replacable or has he already been replaced? Yes and yes for me in Thompson I see him as a direct replacement.Whether or not Thompson will do this role well we will have to see.
Will he sign? I think he was grateful for the chance to kick / restart his career with us but I feel it will be a no

Menga - Player with more attempted stepovers than Ronaldo. Flatters to decieve in my eyes and is a squad player. Brought on when we are looking for that spark - that Cods game he proved to be just that but it's a single memory from his 8 participations in a season which saw him arrive in November.
Is he replacable or has he already been replaced? Yes and yes - Pritchard and Doodoo will both fill that role.
Will he sign? No

Good summation there Sexy.

Despite Turton having a top season I think we'd really miss Mellor's goals. Wouldn't it be an option to play Turton at LB and move Mellor into RB?

Looks like we have big big problems at CH. I can also see a cash in for Tilt so it leaves us very very short

I agree Hastie - Mellor has a fantastic goals return.
14 from 86 games primarily as a RB would be a huge loss.
He was 15/1 to score at any time towards the end of the season.

I am growing increasingly worried about Tilt going.
I would have kept Aimson. I have no doubt his wages were a factor in him being released.
Nottingham could be a replacement as CH but he is untested at this leavel.
Nottingham could be the FGS bet for this season.

I think Sexy hits the spot with why we released Aimson who I felt was a better long term prospect than Robertson. Mellor is the one I'd most like to keep.

I think Sexy hits the spot with why we released Aimson who I felt was a better long term prospect than Robertson. Mellor is the one I'd most like to keep.
If it is any help I have signed and paid for a season ticket nothing going on at the moment.

Gary Bowyer says that in an ideal world he’d have an answer from Blackpool’s five out-of-contract players by the end of the week.
The Pool manager has wasted no time in strengthening his squad ahead of the 2018-19 season, bringing in six new players. But while Kelvin Mellor, Dolly Menga, Clark Robertson, Jay Spearing and Kyle Vassell continue to weigh up their options, Bowyer admits it is difficult to press ahead with other potential new additions. Bowyer, who revealed the club is close to sealing a deal for an experienced goalkeeper, says he would like to discover the plans of those five players sooner rather than later; otherwise he could risk missing out on potential targets. He told The Gazette: “We’re not finished yet. We’ve got to get a few more in. “There are a couple of things bubbling along – a potential new number one goalkeeper with a lot of experience who we’re trying to get. “But obviously everything comes down to the finances with every deal, so we’re working very hard. “The impact of the new chief scout Pete Glover has been brilliant and hopefully we can get a few more done this week. “I don’t think it is a case of getting a certain number of players – it’s about the quality. “That’s exactly what we’re trying to do this season – get more quality in rather than the numbers. “We’re just waiting on Clark Robertson, Kyle Vassell and Kelvin Mellor before we actually go any further in those areas. We’ll see where that brings us. “It’s difficult because I’d love all three to stay. “The performances they’ve produced over the two years with me have been brilliant. “It would be brilliant for me to get them to sign for another year or two but I understand the level of their performances attracts attention. “In an ideal world, by the end of this week I’d certainly like to know where they’re going or what they’re doing because I don’t want to be missing out on targets I’ve put in place to replace them. “We’re also waiting on Jay Spearing. Hopefully we get an answer in the next couple of days but he got married at the weekend, so we wish him all the best with that. “We’d love it if he could put pen to paper.” Blackpool also confirmed they were in discussions with Menga, whose contract also comes to an end this summer. Striker Jamille Matt has agreed a two-year deal with League Two Newport County following his release by Blackpool. The 28-year-old had spent the whole of his second season as a Pool player on loan at Grimsby Town. He had spent three and a half years with Fleetwood Town before moving down the coast to Bloomfield Road.

Read more at: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...ract-players-to-make-up-their-minds-1-9215360

In this situation Id like to see a club have the balls to give them a deadline, then start signing elsewhere. we ( the club ) are more important than any group of players however crucial to our season.

Spearing signed on a 2 year deal. Good news.

Mellor has already been replaced (Turton), Robertson the real loss as it seems like he's gone.