The Universe and Religion n/g | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Universe and Religion n/g

When my son was about seven i was teaching him about the planets using the light bulb. Him being bored could not remember what i had said before.

getting annoyed i asked him how the planets went around the sun. He thought for a while thinking how will i get out of this then his little face lit up and he said 'god made it so'.

now i am more annoyed so asked - ok, then how did he do it.
He looked at me as as if totally astonished and shaking his head he said - dad, he's all powerful.

little scamp outwitted me from day one lol.

It is impossible to know what the Way is by thinking because to arrive at what the Way is in that manner necessarily involves arriving at what the Way is not, yet the Way is everything. Stop worrying. Stop chasing. Stop trying to win. Lose yourselves. Empty yourselves -but find somewhere to do it first.

For more context, see the next post.

So was the Question (Jerry: Correct me if I'm wrong).
What happened before the Big Bang ?
Was there "nothing", "emptiness" , whatever ?
There are no "facts" to answer this Question only best guesses.

Aside from whether I understood the Question properly, it occcurred to me that "their "facts" from both sides" isn't how most scientists approach such topics.

Scientists have "conjectures", "hypotheses" and "theories".
Each stage has a different amount of evidence.

And even with a "theory" supported by current evidence, there remains the possibility of new evidence.

But the lack of evidence for pre-Big Bang is not in itself evidence for the existence of god.

Why revive this ?
Three reasons:
1) The start of the universe is in itself "interesting".

2) Current knowledge and thought processes around the Big Bang is such that it is a good counter to the notion of "the science" as some immutable "fact".
More importantly, that most scientists are careful about what they say is a "fact".

3) To acquire knowledge or enlightenment requires dialogue - where the subject matter is challenged, not the "virtue" of the participants.

So if we can get through this topic, we can get through anything :oops:.
Having hopefully read the book of Genesis or at least the beginning.i would suggest you read this.
It is the big bang in fairly simple but technical language that a non scientist can begin to understand. It does dive into before the beginning so to speak while I am still reading and trying to get to grips with the science perhaps you would want to read this .There are many scientists who are also Christians.There study's might not be the established view on the subject but largely the question you ask hasn't been full explained by scientists as this document explains.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw2fTmi3FSl9GsPdOHXkKaE2
I do have a friend who is a Christian scientist and I have raised the question with him.However he is not that well so forgive and delay there he may have something for me that he has already presented but I don't think so. I have been out of touch for a while so please allow time to get the information you requested.

Last edited:
Having hopefully read the book of Genesis or at least the beginning.i would suggest you read this.
I is the big bang in fairly simple but technical language that a non scientist can begin to understand. It does dive into before the beginning so to speak while I am still reading and trying to get to grips with the science perhaps you would want to read this .There are many scientists who are also Christians.There study's might not be the established view on the subject but largely the question you ask hasn't been full explained by scientists as this document explains.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw2fTmi3FSl9GsPdOHXkKaE2
I do have a friend who is a Christian scientist and I have raised the question with him.However he is not that well so forgive and delay there he may have something for me that he has already presented but I don't think so. I have been out of touch for a while so please allow time to get the information you requested.

It's perfectly possible to be a scientist and believer. They involve however, different orders of argument or, more accurately, experience.

I think most arguments for belief are built upon the idea of a first cause/first mover, and I think Tarian may be suggesting that first causes are only important to time-bound/time-generating creatures like ourselves. Existence may have been self-generating, or it may have always been and will always be. If we can't handle that, that's our problem not existence's. If I've got it right, I think that's a good argument. I don't think his supercomputers argument that we now actually have machines that can work out probabilities of other earth-like planets in a way that we, ourselves cannot, is persuasive to the science-skeptical believer or, at least, it takes us no further. If space is infinite, then it is axiomatic, more than probablistic, that there are an infinite number of other earths with an infinite number of other Shakespeare's writing an infinite number of Macbeths with an infinite number of same and different endings (and, of course, that strikes me as a bigger stretch than imagining a God-ordained universe in which we're a one off). Of course, Tarian may reply that space is not infinite, but I don't think that changes things for me.

I, time-bound insignificant entity that I am, am impressed by first cause arguments, although how you get from these to a fully developed view of an intervening and caring God is a bit of a puzzle to say the least. In the sceptics' terms, Aquinas' proofs of the existence of God, for example, can be said to demonstrate nothing more than the Big Bang of the scientists, raising the possibility that sceptics and believers are talking about the same thing and just don't know it or are too willful to concede it. If so, score one to Lau Tzi and the Daoists.

As I said before, I'm struck by where meaning and morality come from. I'm also struck by the realness, intensity and specificity of each of us as human personalities. I find evolutionary accounts -that both should be seen as functional to the species, and that those of us with stronger moral sensibilities reproduce more successfully than others, to be implausible, or at least, not enough. They may explain how, but not why.

As to the specifics of belief, I think in terms of whatever works for you and me and does not harm others. Like most on here, I have very little time for dogma, evangelism or missionaries (and not just about the specifics of faith), but that's a whole different argument, and it is just as wrong to use criticisms of organized religion as hits on belief, as it is to use belief as an argument for any specific religion.

My mother told me a story a couple of year before she died. Dad was gone, I was over here, and she was at the start of a decline into dementia. She'd been to confession and after she'd gone through her sins she said to the priest, Father, I'm not sure about this -any of it- any more. He said to her, that's ok. Don't worry about it. I think well of that man. I'd go so far as to say, God bless him.

It's perfectly possible to be a scientist and believer. They involve however, different orders of argument or, more accurately, experience.

I think most arguments for belief are built upon the idea of a first cause/first mover, and I think Tarian may be suggesting that first causes are only important to time-bound/time-generating creatures like ourselves. Existence may have been self-generating, or it may have always been and will always be. If we can't handle that, that's our problem not existence's. If I've got it right, I think that's a good argument.
What a wonderful bit of writing - seriously.(y):geek:
Not sure I agree with some of the "leanings" - but hey.

I absolutely get that scientists (and others) would like to understand "how" the Universe started.
BUT I see no reason to require a reason "why".
i.e. I do not hold with the religious need (apparently) for there to be some "purpose" for the Universe.
Why cannot the Universe just "be" ?

"only important to time-bound creatures" hadn't occurred to me.
But maybe it requires a particular mind to imagine not experiencing "time".

I don't think his supercomputers argument that we now actually have machines that can work out probabilities of other earth-like planets in a way that we, ourselves cannot, is persuasive to the science-skeptical believer or, at least, it takes us no further
The "supercomputers" theme is an observation.
As you imply, some machines observe more of the Universe - others work out the probabilities.
If "life" is a Billion to 1 outlier - but there are 100 Billion planets - then there may be 100 earth-like planets.

Surely such analysis provides impetus to actually look for life-supporting planets - rather than look inwards ?

Then I think you jumped to "multiverses".
If space is infinite, then it is axiomatic, more than probablistic, that there are an infinite number of other earths with an infinite number of other Shakespeare's writing an infinite number of Macbeths with an infinite number of same and different endings (and, of course, that strikes me as a bigger stretch than imagining a God-ordained universe in which we're a one off)
It seems highly unlikely that any of other "earths" in our Universe would have a Shakespeare.

But some theorise that, with space and time being infinite, there are multiple Universes running in parallel.
We just have no means of connecting with them.
(Not sure I find multiverses plausible.....)

Of course, Tarian may reply that space is not infinite, but I don't think that changes things for me.
Define "infinite".
This is not being rude. Even my Physics grad son struggles to find the words.

Where is the "edge" of the Universe ?
Where the last particles are ? (Empty space has approx 10 atoms per cubic metre.)
But even if one could detect the last atoms....
Would we be physically prevented from going further ?

As I said before, I'm struck by where meaning and morality come from. I'm also struck by the realness, intensity and specificity of each of us as human personalities. I find evolutionary accounts - that both should be seen as functional to the species, and that those of us with stronger moral sensibilities reproduce more successfully than others, to be implausible, or at least, not enough. They may explain how, but not why.

I've already questioned why life requires "meaning" . Why not "just is" ?

As for "morality" and "moral sensibilities, surely "evolution" or its equivalent is entirely plausible.

Human history-telling may focus on "war" and "theft".
But history misses out billions of interactions based on co-operation and mutual benefit - and thus advancement.
Surely peaceful "realms" have been able to devote time and resources to improvement rather than destruction ?
(acknowledging that weapons development also has positive spin-offs.)

As to the specifics of belief, I think in terms of whatever works for you and me and does not harm others.
Like most on here, I have very little time for dogma, evangelism or missionaries (and not just about the specifics of faith), but that's a whole different argument, and it is just as wrong to use criticisms of organized religion as hits on belief, as it is to use belief as an argument for any specific religion.

My mother told me a story a couple of year before she died. Dad was gone, I was over here, and she was at the start of a decline into dementia. She'd been to confession and after she'd gone through her sins she said to the priest, Father, I'm not sure about this -any of it- any more. He said to her, that's ok. Don't worry about it. I think well of that man. I'd go so far as to say, God bless him.
Surely "belief" can be distinguished from "religion" ?

"Do no harm to others" is usually a libertarian position - and "belief" being passive should cause no harm.
So people are free to believe whatever they like.
(but might some be "wrong"....?)

But when "belief" prompts "actions".... ???
Sadly, too many religions have sought to convert people - by force.
Then they tell people how to behave, what to dress, to eat, to say, to believe.

It it because religions discourage reason and individual thought that some (many ?) people have a problem with organised religion.

Last edited:
. If space is infinite, then it is axiomatic, more than probablistic, that there are an infinite number of other earths with an infinite number of other Shakespeare's writing an infinite number of Macbeths with an infinite number of same and different endings (and, of course, that strikes me as a bigger stretch than imagining a God-ordained universe in which we're a one off)..

Yet, the BBC show bucket loads of repeats ? :sorry:

who or what created the individuals/participants then?
errm
The people before them.
Before that, the pre-humans
Before that, primitive creatures
Before that, single celled creatures

Single-celled creatures arose (probably) from one of those chance interactions amonst milllions of interactions between matter, light, heat - whatever.

In the past, people would have found such "chance" unlikely.
But as maths, statistics and probabilities came to be better understood - and as people began to contemplate the sheer enormity of numbers involved - especially time - the apparently improbable became plausible - then surprisingly likely.

Suppose that the chances of a living cell "appearing" are put at 14,000,000,000 to 1.

That is 100 times less likely than winning the EuroMillions lottery.
Very, very unlikely - yet there have been more then 100 winners, so we know that the highly unlikely is possible.

If our Planet has been around for around for 4.5 billion years - how many trillion seconds is that - for one - maybe several - of those lucky "interactions" mentioned above ?

errm
The people before them.
Before that, the pre-humans
Before that, primitive creatures
Before that, single celled creatures

Single-celled creatures arose (probably) from one of those chance interactions amonst milllions of interactions between matter, light, heat - whatever.

In the past, people would have found such "chance" unlikely.
But as maths, statistics and probabilities came to be better understood - and as people began to contemplate the sheer enormity of numbers involved - especially time - the apparently improbable became plausible - then surprisingly likely.

Suppose that the chances of a living cell "appearing" are put at 14,000,000,000 to 1.

That is 100 times less likely than winning the EuroMillions lottery.
Very, very unlikely - yet there have been more then 100 winners, so we know that the highly unlikely is possible.

If our Planet has been around for around for 4.5 billion years - how many trillion seconds is that - for one - maybe several - of those lucky "interactions" mentioned above ?

Err: who or what created matter, light and heat?
Is there an even greater force and if so who or what created it?