The U23’s/youth thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The U23’s/youth thread

Powell was the best player over the 90 minutes. Taylor and Esapa Osong were disappointing, but the rest of the team had decent games.
I thought Taylor played ok. I was surprised how well he holds off defenders. Osong was disappointing, but I don't think United were really letting us play the way we wanted to. We had some really good moves down the right, but it looked like we weren't fully committing when we were on the attack.
I couldn't see the pen decision from where i was sat but my instinct was it was outside the box.
Overall they played well, added some value to the club, and gained some valuable experience, all of which i think is more important than winning the cup.

United's crowd is as terrible as everyone says. I've never been to a united game before, they were pretty much silent the whole time.

Don't like the theme that's emerging - but it's bad decisions in games where we don't quite do enough.

Put the ball in the net a few times and we can laugh those decisions off.

Such as the Huddersfield cup game where we had a goal ruled out for offside from a backwards pass for example?

I thought Taylor played ok. I was surprised how well he holds off defenders. Osong was disappointing, but I don't think United were really letting us play the way we wanted to. We had some really good moves down the right, but it looked like we weren't fully committing when we were on the attack.
I couldn't see the pen decision from where i was sat but my instinct was it was outside the box.
Overall they played well, added some value to the club, and gained some valuable experience, all of which i think is more important than winning the cup.

United's crowd is as terrible as everyone says. I've never been to a united game before, they were pretty much silent the whole time.

Watching on FA Player, we were clearly the better side but didn't make many chances. The foul was outside the box. Taylor looked class but wasn't given much chance to shine. Overall, the team did us proud.

Watching on FA Player, we were clearly the better side but didn't make many chances. The foul was outside the box. Taylor looked class but wasn't given much chance to shine. Overall, the team did us proud.
I don't know about clearly the better side.
We outplayed them for about half an hour and the rest of the game was fairly even.
I thought United played really well when they had it on the floor in our half, but they didn't do that very much. They clearly have some really talented players, but we had the better intensity, and looked like we wanted it more. It looked like we had them figured out in the second half. We were just missing that quality in the opposition box, then a bad decision and that's it.
The future looks bright for Forest though.

I don't know about clearly the better side.
We outplayed them for about half an hour and the rest of the game was fairly even.
I thought United played really well when they had it on the floor in our half, but they didn't do that very much. They clearly have some really talented players, but we had the better intensity, and looked like we wanted it more. It looked like we had them figured out in the second half. We were just missing that quality in the opposition box, then a bad decision and that's it.
The future looks bright for Forest though.
When I say 'clearly the better side', I mean that we were away at Old Trafford, with 50,000+ United fans against 5.000+ Forest fans - but we seemed very comfortable and rarely came under sustained pressure (5 minutes at start of 2nd half?). We looked like we could create a winning move, but in the second half we failed to do so.

They weren't in any trouble in that game. Bit of risky moment lead to that decision, but it was a huge error from the officials which ultimately cost them the cup. They played really well, learn from it and use the poor decision to drive them on .

Powell was the best player over the 90 minutes. Taylor and Esapa Osong were disappointing, but the rest of the team had decent games.

Taylor had a decent game when he was given the ball. The issue was they pressed hard on the centre. We needed a Jimmy Gardner in the middle.

I dont understand why Powell plays RW. He's more left footed than Popey.

Johnson looked the part too.

I only watched the game onscreen, so maybe they just didn't mention Taylor much. I really don't know what I expected from Osong. He's still very young, so maybe hasn't built up his stamina. He had one burst of pace, so presumably he can be quick, but generally seemed slow and lacked movement. I only saw the second half of the Chelsea game, and he looked like he was worn out, then he burst into life for the final five minutes. He is clearly good on the ball, but didn't seem to be in the places where he could get it.

Powell seemed to have superb delivery with his left foot. Was the best player on the pitch for 80 minutes, until Garnacho showed what he could do in the final few minutes.

Anyone know which of our players are eligible again next season ?