The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 120 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

Richard Dunne was a disgrace at Villa. Played well for about 6/7 months then only turned up when he could be arsed. I know you cannot stand Mings but he's done more for this club than that fat waster ever did.
Mate I never said he did , I just said he's a level above Mings. I point out why I don't think he's good enough and its nothing to do with him not being a loyal servant or a nice man or good to his dog. It's purely the ability, He is not good enough

Mate I never said he did , I just said he's a level above Mings. I point out why I don't think he's good enough and its nothing to do with him not being a loyal servant or a nice man or good to his dog. It's purely the ability, He is not good enough

He's not a level above though. Doesn't he have the own goal record for the Premier league? He was shit for us and extremely average for a bad Manchester City team.

Also Mings being good enough to be someone who takes us from where we are now to the top 8 or so isn't the point I was making anyway. We definitely need better CBs. The point I was attempting to make is that some talk about a guy who has actually done some good for this club, a lot more than most other players in the last decade or so, like shit.

Last edited:
It’s the mistakes that kill him and I don’t think we coach those lapses in concentration out of him. He seems to have a natural tendency to sit slightly deeper than everyone else which points to a lack of trust with his teammates and perhaps even himself. It’s difficult to quantify what effect that’s having in terms of his positioning and whether he is in the optimal position to defend.

One of the simple things to assess whether he can improve or not will be if he continues to do this even with an experience and assured leader beside him. When I watch VVD and Matip they are lockstep.

Needs to keep it simple, and cannot
He perhaps needs a different partner at the back and maybe a more competent DCM. If that happens he might shine, we just don’t know. He’s a Villa player and currently our first choice CB. He therefore has my support and I hope he becomes a cross of John Terry & Rio Ferdinand (the good bits) for us.

Replacing Mings is not the priority as we’d have to spend a lot of money and buy two first choice CBs. My belief is that we don’t control the midfield, that’s where we should focus and spend the major wedge. If SJM and DL are back up (or sold in the case of Douglas), we’ll have had a good window.

Replacing Mings is not the priority as we’d have to spend a lot of money and buy two first choice CBs. My belief is that we don’t control the midfield, that’s where we should focus and spend the major wedge. If SJM and DL are back up (or sold in the case of Douglas), we’ll have had a good window.

It's both for me, I agree with your point about midfield it's probably the most important thing to get right. However, we simply have to cut out these soft goals too. Most teams in the top 8 have one thing in common and that's that they concede far less often than the rest.

I'd happily not sign a new striker if it meant we bought true quality elsewhere. Two CBs and a DM or one CB, a DM and a CM. I think there's enough to progress with some combination of Emi2, Coutinho, Watkins, Archer, and Ings if the team can control the ball more and keep it out of the net. A strong defense and midfield probably lets you fit in Emi2 and Coutinho.

Credit it where its due he did well. that's his game last-ditch defending, playing goalkeeper

Nothing like a backhander haha

Best we have at the moment, seems to okay better with Chambers beside him. Chambers appears to be more vocal than Konsa, quiet possibly one reason for it. Mings last chance will be this season. I can’t see us buying two CBs so he’s probably nailed on for the first 3 months of the year.

Could have been an embarrassing evening if not for that fantastic piece of defending. Credit where credit's due.

It was almost like watching the Watford game again. Not quite doing enough. Testing the keeper but rarely putting in a position to make truly phenomenal saves. And then they go up the other end with 3 passes and sucker punch us.