The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 58 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

Mings is a top class defender in an inferior team. He would fit in at any level. Hes better than Stones or Otamendi, better than Matip and Gomez. Any club would take him.
No that’s a exaggeration. He’s a decent defender but lacks concentration and makes mistakes. I could see a host of mid table clubs looking at him if he was available for far less than what we bought him for (i.e. if we were relegated and were in a forced sale) but he isn’t going to go to one of the top clubs

Mings is a top class defender in an inferior team. He would fit in at any level. Hes better than Stones or Otamendi, better than Matip and Gomez. Any club would take him.

I think you're right. We seem to demand perfection from our defenders whereas in reality very, very few defenders are near perfect. Stick Tyrone in the England team and he's at least as good as the other options in that area, maybe better. His "mistakes" only come when he's having to do fire brigade action when our defense has been carved open, and he looks for something a bit more positive than a boot into the stands.

The proof is how badly we've done without him. I hope we keep him for many a year. If we can stay up and can go forwards with an improved squad, Tyrone will be a big part of that squad.

I like what he said today:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52866678
Top bloke. Massive influence. Future hero.

Mings makes mistakes, that's true, but at times he's firefighting because he's covering for a weak left back and a centre back partner who leaves enough space for a juggernaut to exploit. Add into that mix, a midfield with more holes than a colander and it's no wonder he gets found out occasionally. Having inconsistent goal keepers can't do much for the confidence of the defence as a whole.
If we go down he'll be gone. Then it's a rebuild of the back line because none of the rest fill me with much enthusiasm.

Mings was top class in the Championship. He's been far less than top class in the Premier League I think. Some of the sloppy mistakes you can get away with in the division below, but not in the top league.

He's got good recovery speed that in the championship meant he was basically Van Dijk. There were plenty of times last season where I wondered if he'd be able to get away with some of the things he was trying against championship defences.

I will say however, on behalf of all our defenders not just Mings, that the more you give someone to do the more likely they'll make a mistake at some point and we give our defence an awful lot to do.

We do JW, a fair comment, but they have also compounded that at times with awful distribution or slow decision making. You can't do that in the PL as they have found out.

And in fairness, not that I'm comparing Mings to Van Dijk, but I'd argue the step up from the Champ to the Prem is significantly different from the step up from the Scottish Prem to the Prem, and Van Dijk took a while to settle in at Southampton and win people over.

He learned, adapted, developed and improved significantly in his second season and he'd played centre half all his life. Mings has that time on his side but, he needs to do the same.

I don't dispute those stats at all, my eyes, however, tell me that he seems to think he's the goalkeeper hence all the blocks. I'd be much happier if he marked his man out of the game and therefore didn't have any shots to block. I think we've had more shots at us than any other team hence he will have blocked a fair few of them .

Stats that don't measure the correct metrics and are taken in isolation mean nothing.
Well put. You can't dribble past a player that's standing on his own goal line....

Mings is still learning.

He's only been a centre back for 2 years.

He's only been a Premier League Centre Back for 7 months.

I think so far he's been 'OK' at this level, but is far too relaxed at times and has made some mistakes by not being fully focused. However as I say he is still learning and this level, is still young and I believe will still get better. I'd imagine if we go down there will be a lot of big clubs who see his potential and would be in for him but it would be a gamble on him improving.

As for his comments yesterday, and I say this as a Mings fan..... what a prat! Just shut up Tyrone! I still love you, but keep your ridiculous comments and views to yourself.

They showed the Carabo cup final v Man City on Sky last night. Nearly every block , interception and cutting out crosses was made by Tyrone.

He can play. Let there be no doubt of that.
:stupid:

Also, he is quite entitled to voice his opinion on the return of football. Just as we are entitled to agree or disagree with him.

Yes he's entitled to talk bollocks. It's called free speech.

But if he doesn't want to come across as a complete prat maybe he'd be wise not to bother?

I'm not defending what he said. I just think he's entitled to say it.

Funny how we have the right to pontificate on here about the rights and wrongs of opening up the season, but then kick off at someone else who is actually involved, telling him to STFU.

Don't get that approach myself.

Of course it is about the money, for one thing, the industry needs to earn the money to pay these players high wages.

Did the players help in consultation and agree to take lower salaries? Nope.

The whole of football is about money, for the owners, CEO's/Directors, the broadcasters and press AND the footballers.

No point them trying to come over as the victims here, they are the biggest expense.

Been amazed how many players, judging by the fact I am sure (sic) they have all been following the guidelines like everyone else, how many have tested positive for COVID (only going on the links sirdennis and others have put in here). How on earth did they manage to catch this whilst staying home, protecting the NHS and saving lives?

The simple fact is, if these players don't want to be in a money driven industry, they can leave it, and go and do some altruistic work elsewhere.
I respect Tyrone Mings as one of the only players around who’s actually had a ‘real’ job so for me he’s one that can actually speak up whilst having some perspective of the real world. I don’t think Mings’s comments were that critical he said the restart is about the money (which it obviously is) and that he accepts it although communication with players has been poor. What I would say though is if your being paid you’d expect that your employers will instruct you on what to do... or you don’t get paid. To be fair in his quotes he said it’s not a problem.

If Mings is a "top class" defender then you haven't watched many defenders. McGrath, Jaap Stam, Franco Baresi, Maldini, Passarella, Koeman etc were top class, Mings is an average mid table premier league standard defender.

I respect Tyrone Mings as one of the only players around who’s actually had a ‘real’ job so for me he’s one that can actually speak up whilst having some perspective of the real world. I don’t think Mings’s comments were that critical he said the restart is about the money (which it obviously is) and that he accepts it although communication with players has been poor. What I would say though is if your being paid you’d expect that your employers will instruct you on what to do... or you don’t get paid. To be fair in his quotes he said it’s not a problem.

So you go to the papers as opposed to your employer if you don't feel communication has been good for you?

And talking about being a commodity. It is called being an employee. Don't like it, you have choices.