The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 97 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

Tyrone had an excellent game yesterday, however it has to be said Croatia presented no threat to speak of.
That not an anti Tyrone comment, but the whole team performance yesterday has to be put in the perspective of a very average opposition.
Given how poor Croatia were we created very little, but the old saying of beating what is put in front of you holds good, and on to the next. game.

It's a pretty remarkable career progression I think.

Two and a half years ago he was languishing in Bournemouth reserves and yesterday he played a starring role in Englands Euro opener.

He must love Deano.

Someone posted here (might have been Villa 4 Ever), the amount of games he’s played as a pro isn’t that high for a 28 year old.

He’s at peak physical age and condition, he doesn’t need to improve in this regard as he can’t get any fitter surely, and technically he’s a very good footballing centre back.

A few things to work on with his game still, which can take him another level. As long as he concentrates and focusses on developing, he could step on further in my opinion.

Someone posted here (might have been Villa 4 Ever), the amount of games he’s played as a pro isn’t that high for a 28 year old.

He’s at peak physical age and condition, he doesn’t need to improve in this regard as he can’t get any fitter surely, and technically he’s a very good footballing centre back.

A few things to work on with his game still, which can take him another level. As long as he concentrates and focusses on developing, he could step on further in my opinion.

Yes. A good tournament will give him a massive confidence boost as well.

All you have to do is compare his games vs. Konsa and even Cash. They're very comparable but there's a 3 or 4-year gap between them. I think I looked at it before, Konsa might be the most experienced player in the back 5 purely on a games played basis.

That missing time should give Mings more longevity though, I doubt he is anywhere near his peak. Which is interesting because Maguire is probably hitting his peak now and you don't see much difference between them.

I think my point about .. oh, the pointing, is only when he's making enough mistakes himself, to concentrate on his game, not on everyone elses. I would love to see him at home with his family. I can imagine him organising his wife for getting a cuppa etc. LOL

Flip side to this point (:wahey:) is that he is showing or trying to show leadership even when he is having a bad game. At least he isn’t hiding and going into a shell which I suspect others would criticise him for if he did that . Personally think that is a good thing. He is more of a captain than SJ in this respect . If he wasn’t doing it I don’t really see who else we have.

Centre back union here from my , albeit significantly lower level, playing days. I remember one game where i was playing really well, made one muck up and we lost 1 nil. The striker missed a few we could have been out of sight . Guess what everyone remembered.

Flip side to this point (:wahey:) is that he is showing or trying to show leadership even when he is having a bad game. At least he isn’t hiding and going into a shell which I suspect others would criticise him for if he did that . Personally think that is a good thing. He is more of a captain than SJ in this respect . If he wasn’t doing it I don’t really see who else we have.

Centre back union here from my , albeit significantly lower level, playing days. I remember one game where i was playing really well, made one muck up and we lost 1 nil. The striker missed a few we could have been out of sight . Guess what everyone remembered.

Did you chew gum when you played ?

Mings had a great game yesterday. And I don't think he was anywhere near as bad as was made out in the warm up games either. Junior 1 saying despite yesterday Mings still getting lots of social media hate. Weird.

Don't get it . He seems to be one of these players that gets the criticism whatever he does and often it's for the most bizarre things whether chewing gum or pointing and shouting which is clearly in his game/character . Last season for us he was the go to boo boy I thought when there were equal candidates worthy.
Always have said that I think he is a fine defender and like any other player is prone to lapses . Don't see his lapses as anymore or less than anyone else yet he gets under the microscope much more in my humble.
There are those that make their mind up about a player and just won't budge from the viewpoint. Mings did have a very dodgy period for a few months prior to the club covid lockdown, but since coming back he's been very good. I was one who criticized him during the poor spell, but also praise where it's due, as he has been much improved for the past six months. Konsa being so good probably hasn't helped, ironically.....
I do think some of his public comments towards the fans have made him an easy target though. The ElGhazi "told you so" post was childish and he set himself up with that one. Not an excuse and didn't bother me particularly, but you can see why social media idiots would find reasons to go after him any chance they get...

During my pilot training I was told to always make sure the landing is smooth. You can have a perfect take-off, perfect flight, route your way through storms, perfect fuel-planning, six hours of non-turbulent altitude changes, and arrive 15 minutes early, but if the landing was hard you'll get abused by the flight attendants all the way to the hotel.... :arrghh::blah::blah:

During my pilot training I was told to always make sure the landing is smooth. You can have a perfect take-off, perfect flight, route your way through storms, perfect fuel-planning, six hours of non-turbulent altitude changes, and arrive 15 minutes early, but if the landing was hard you'll get abused by the flight attendants all the way to the hotel.... :arrghh::blah::blah:

Yeah and the abuse continued after you arrived at the hotel. These flight attendants....ayyyyyyyy!!!!

First impressions and last impressions are lasting impressions (from my days in Customer Care training ;))

evening Swiss Tony