The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 84 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

I don’t know if Mings being seen as a star player by other fans and pundits is a blessing because it keeps Konsa under the radar or if it’s a curse because I think it can potentially breed arrogance.

I’ve said it a few times before, Mings has all the attributes to be a top defender, even though he’s 27 and that step on really needs to happen now. His career can either plateau from now, perhaps a few England call ups and half decent seasons with us, or he can push on and make the left side of centre back for England his being a lefty and be a key player credited in taking us forward.

My frustration with Mings is that all his downsides are things he can work on, because if he improves his concentration and decision making, added to his physical presence and his footballing ability, you have potentially a top class defender.

If I look at match threads, Mings is called out every game (by me as much as anyone). I’d like to see him perhaps less visible on social media distractions, and he has business ventures outside of football which are highly commendable but you pay someone else to manage it, be selfish and really knuckle down over the next 6 months to become a consistently good and error free player game after game after game.

We’ve seen 18 months of Mings in the top flight and the reality is he’s probably exactly the same player he was when we were promoted.

Last edited:
It's somewhat fair to say that he is inexperienced at this level and is still developing but then how many defenders actually become radically better after the age of 27/28?

Perhaps it’s a chance for him to use his head a bit more as his body reaches its peak, so he has to play smarter? It might be a good thing for him in a roundabout way to have reached physical peak where keeping a ridiculous six pack in shape is his priority for Instagram rather than more time studying his play.

He’s not making loads of mistakes but it is consistently one per game, and luckily it doesn’t seem to affect his confidence (hence why he keeps making them).

It's somewhat fair to say that he is inexperienced at this level and is still developing but then how many defenders actually become radically better after the age of 27/28?
Agree with the first part, but I've actually always been of the belief that centre-backs do typically peak a little later (a bit like goalkeepers). I think Evans at Leicester is a good example - he was an error waiting to happen in his early-mid twenties, but now he's matured and found that consistency. Leicester fans always seem to be very happy with him. If Mings can learn to focus better and become a bit braver then he still has time on his side....

Love football but was a bloody awful footballer so ended up playing rugby.

There was one guy I always picked not because he was the best in his position but because he talked non stop, pulled people into position and encouraged others non stop. Worth twice the better player because of what he contributed to the team.

Love football but was a bloody awful footballer so ended up playing rugby.

There was one guy I always picked not because he was the best in his position but because he talked non stop, pulled people into position and encouraged others non stop. Worth twice the better player because of what he contributed to the team.

Did he get himself sent off and risk giving tries away every game?:throw:

We need to sign a quality centre half in the summer to play with Konsa, Mings is not the answer I'm afraid.

Thought Mings had a pretty decent game last night and after watching their first goal umpteen times I still think Konsa is more at fault than Mings tbh. Can’t help but feel that if the tables were turned and it was Konsa at the near post with Tyrone behind there would be more focus on Mings being at fault for not following Martial! Reading through the match thread Mings is told by one poster to ‘fuck off out of our club’.....really don’t understand how anyone could be so dismissive and critical of a guy whose career has actually gone to another level since joining the club. Sure we can identify faults in his game but seriously...comments like that are just ridiculous.

Mings at left back? Are you mad?

If Targett was injured I'd much rather Hause in the middle and Mings out wide, then he can do what he wants, What's the madness about it ? Hause likes to do his job defending with no messing about, Mings likes to get forward and try and score.

If Targett was injured I'd much rather Hause in the middle and Mings out wide, then he can do what he wants, What's the madness about it ? Hause likes to do his job defending with no messing about, Mings likes to get forward and try and score.
I don't think he's anywhere near good enough on the ball to play as a fullback personally.

yup

well, 100% a fullback, I can never remember the left and right...!

He was a left back at Ipswich. It wasn't till he joined Bournemouth that that he started playing centre half. Obviously then he had loads of injuries so by the time he'd signed for us he'd possibly played less than 25 games as a centre half.