The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 69 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

Personally I’m a fan of those balls he pings up the pitch, gets tedious watching balls going from side to side and back again all the time.

Yes now we have someone who can get on the end of them it's a useful ploy , mixes it up a bit , I'm a great believer in playing in the opposition half , not your own

My Dad sent me this text on Tuesday completely out of the Blue. (for context, he hardly ever texts and hardly ever swears) -

"I know you won't agree but drop Mings. How many times is he going to put hands behind back and turn side on just as someone is going to shoot. Move and close the bastard down !!"

Fast forward 48 hours and Mings does exactly that as Greenwood scores United's 2nd.

If my Dad can see this, why are Smith and Terry not seeing it and giving him hell for it?

Properly disappointing to me as i thought he was going to be our Van Dijk...... Dick Van Dijk maybe.

My Dad sent me this text on Tuesday completely out of the Blue. (for context, he hardly ever texts and hardly ever swears) -

"I know you won't agree but drop Mings. How many times is he going to put hands behind back and turn side on just as someone is going to shoot. Move and close the bastard down !!"

Fast forward 48 hours and Mings does exactly that as Greenwood scores United's 2nd.

If my Dad can see this, why are Smith and Terry not seeing it and giving him hell for it?

Properly disappointing to me as i thought he was going to be our Van Dijk...... Dick Van Dijk maybe.
It's not rocket science is it Deano.... Give me access to the videos of the last 20 games and I'll put together 40-50 clips of examples when Mings has been too deep, playing everyone onside and/or blocking his own goalkeeper, and going into that "look I'm trying to block it" sideways pose. Two goals in the last two games directly attributable to this trait! When Fernandez missed that open goal today it was Mings playing everyone onside as Shaw got in behind to cross it..... And don't even get me started on the ridiculous situation he created vs Leicester at home when Vardy scored the easiest goal of his career....
Maybe that's why Steer can't get a look-in since the resumption.... he will call out Mings and cause a fight...

It's not rocket science is it Deano.... Give me access to the videos of the last 20 games and I'll put together 40-50 clips of examples when Mings has been too deep, playing everyone onside and/or blocking his own goalkeeper, and going into that "look I'm trying to block it" sideways pose. Two goals in the last two games directly attributable to this trait! When Fernandez missed that open goal today it was Mings playing everyone onside as Shaw got in behind to cross it..... And don't even get me started on the ridiculous situation he created vs Leicester at home when Vardy scored the easiest goal of his career....
Maybe that's why Steer can't get a look-in since the resumption.... he will call out Mings and cause a fight...

Being too deep is one of his biggest flaws, although it’s not obvious to a lot of people. He keeps players on side as you say, he did it last night when Rashford I think missed a sitter.

It creates too much space in the middle, and when you’re playing against a team with the likes of Fernandez, Pogba and Rashford who all like that open space between defence and midfield, that’s going to punish you.

He seems to like that 1980’s sweeper role but you have to play in a line and as a unit, so that a good chunk of goals scored against you are deemed offside.

If Mings gets into the England squad being in a team which is bottom of every defensive statistic going, it’ll be a farce.

There are better and more deserving players at Burnley and Southampton for England, than Mings. He doesn’t warrant the attention and talk he gets unfortunately. It’s not solely his fault as you defend from the front, and the players to his side and in front of him aren’t exactly a wall of resilience.

Makes me laugh how bad he is a fair bit of the time, having been brilliant in the Champ, and yet he spends half his time shouting at others and telling them what to do. He's been caught out at this level, as the Bournemouth fans said.

Him and the other two players who might actually cut it at this level, Grealish and McGinn, have all been terrible since the restart. It's hard to watch the end of the season when your best players decide to take a turn for the worst.

Makes me laugh how bad he is a fair bit of the time, having been brilliant in the Champ, and yet he spends half his time shouting at others and telling them what to do. He's been caught out at this level, as the Bournemouth fans said.

Different gravy is the prem to the Championship. The thing that’s in Mings’ favour, is that physically he is an athlete, he’s got an 8 pack similar to mine 😄🤥. So with some decent coaching and better players around him, he could be very good. But as someone pointed out to me the other week, he is 27/28 so is hardly a spring chicken.

Different gravy is the prem to the Championship. The thing that’s in Mings’ favour, is that physically he is an athlete, he’s got an 8 pack similar to mine 😄🤥. So with some decent coaching and better players around him, he could be very good. But as someone pointed out to me the other week, he is 27/28 so is hardly a spring chicken.

Perfect age for centre backs, Hause is still a baby but currently outperforming Mings , what's happened to Engels is anyone's guess vanished again

Perfect age for centre backs, Hause is still a baby but currently outperforming Mings , what's happened to Engels is anyone's guess vanished again

Engels was out with an Achilles injury. Not sure he's fully fit yet. Might be out of favour with Smith as well, possibly too traditional a type of CB, possibly the same reason Chester was shipped out.

Being too deep is one of his biggest flaws, although it’s not obvious to a lot of people. He keeps players on side as you say, he did it last night when Rashford I think missed a sitter.

It creates too much space in the middle, and when you’re playing against a team with the likes of Fernandez, Pogba and Rashford who all like that open space between defence and midfield, that’s going to punish you.

He seems to like that 1980’s sweeper role but you have to play in a line and as a unit, so that a good chunk of goals scored against you are deemed offside.

If Mings gets into the England squad being in a team which is bottom of every defensive statistic going, it’ll be a farce.

There are better and more deserving players at Burnley and Southampton for England, than Mings. He doesn’t warrant the attention and talk he gets unfortunately. It’s not solely his fault as you defend from the front, and the players to his side and in front of him aren’t exactly a wall of resilience.
Mee and Stephens are far better wholehearted centre halves. Mings is another of our big time Charlies who have been found wanting.

As far as I can see from Ming’s footballing history he is a left back, certainly up to the time he signed for Bournemouth for around £8m in 2015. This explains a lot about his performances to me but not why we paid £25m for a left back to learn how to play centre half.