The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 59 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

Going to the press talking about being a commodity was ridiculous (Not sure why the links have gone in both threads so we are saying the same thing in both to be fair)

It is called being an employee. Don't like it, there are choices. And of course they weren't consulted, the PFA would have been. He comes over as a right charlie to me in that interview.

Got a problem with communication, go to your employer not running to the papers with the poor us crap. My niece is 17, she was asked to go back to her job (she's filling in before uni) and she did so without a whimper. She works indoors and with the general public. She won't have the protection this lot get.

Yes, he has the right to say it, I have the right though, to think what a bunch of wimps modern men seem to be.

We are commodities. Oh for fuck sake. We all are. Our employers use us (for our labour) and we use them (for the pay). It is called being a grown up.

Well said J.

They've all had months off at full pay. I can't see many other employees getting that, and now they're being asked to return to work he's moaning that he wasn't consulted?

Welcome to the real world.... the top brass do the consulting and make the decisions.... the employees do what they are told to. It's call life.

Amber works at Co-op. She wasn't consulted in Co-ops COVID-19 strategy, neither would she expect to be, she just goes in and continues to do her job when asked.

She hasn't once run to the Daily Mail to moan that the CEO of CO-OP didn't give her a call to see if the store should extend it's opening hours.

So you go to the papers as opposed to your employer if you don't feel communication has been good for you?

And talking about being a commodity. It is called being an employee. Don't like it, you have choices.

I think his comments are very fair and well balanced reading through the full article. As I said I respect Mings because he certainly comes across as very grounded to me and hasn’t lived in the premier league bubble his entire life.

This is an excerpt from the full article in the daily mail

Project Restart is financially driven. I think everybody accepts that. But that's fine with me because I look at this monster that is Premier League football and the revenue it creates and I didn't moan about being a part of it when everything was great so I'm not going to moan now when the atmosphere around the game is more hesitant”

Obviously the main thing that gets picked up is the “financially driven” bit that could be considered controversial

Well no one would conclude he is up for it, raring to go to get us out of the relegation zone from that statement.

Exactly. The absolute opposite of the strong leadership mentioned by mcparland in this thread.

I'd hate to go into battle with him I have to say.

So, a lot on here have been saying that restarting at the moment is fraught with danger, quite rightly so, in my opinion. Tyrone gets roasted on here for saying words to that effect.

That isn't being a wimp. It's being honest about how things are. Maybe honesty in the dressing room is a better way of dealing with the pressures under Covid than coming out with the "we're dying to get back" bravado of a thug like Ollie Norwood.

Man gives honest opinion on subject to do with his profession. Gets scolded for not having the "correct" opinion by people outside his profession.

Also see the old "international cap/speculation of call up has gone to his head" bollocks has been raised as it has with so many others. It was bollocks the first time I heard it about Vassell in 2001 and its still bollocks.

I think his comments are very fair and well balanced reading through the full article. As I said I respect Mings because he certainly comes across as very grounded to me and hasn’t lived in the premier league bubble his entire life.

This is an excerpt from the full article in the daily mail

Project Restart is financially driven. I think everybody accepts that. But that's fine with me because I look at this monster that is Premier League football and the revenue it creates and I didn't moan about being a part of it when everything was great so I'm not going to moan now when the atmosphere around the game is more hesitant”

Obviously the main thing that gets picked up is the “financially driven” bit that could be considered controversial

What else do people think motivate industry?

It is like saying driving is my motivation for buying a car.

Only my humble, but I find the whole thing ludicrous.

Must admit though, I am in a bad mood today, the business I work for is just financially driven and I feel like a bloody commodity, all they want me to do is work, work, work in order to be paid. I mean, how is this even fair?

:coolio:

He is also not totally right, I am quite sure there are people who love football within the industry, people who want to see the league finished because that is what 'we' do, and for those who rightfully win the league to be crowned, and those who stink out the league, to be relegated.

It screams disrespect to me, I do get that in there he says he isn't moaning because he wasn't when the times were good, but he is moaning and it just looks silly.

Different if he had talked about the genuine concerns health wise, as many of us have talked about to family, friends, in threads. But to be talking about being a commodity is one of the most immature interviews I've seen from a player in years.

Again, we are all commodities, we all in society 'use' each other to make the whole thing work. Footballers are not 'special' they are just part of the wheel.

So, a lot on here have been saying that restarting at the moment is fraught with danger, quite rightly so, in my opinion. Tyrone gets roasted on here for saying words to that effect.

That isn't being a wimp. It's being honest about how things are. Maybe honesty in the dressing room is a better way of dealing with the pressures under Covid than coming out with the "we're dying to get back" bravado of a thug like Ollie Norwood.

No he isn't. He is lamenting being a commodity (we all are as I have just said in the other thread... ) and saying they weren't consulted. Well, what does he think the PFA is there for? He's an employee, why go to the press? Why not go to your employer or your union rep?

Whilst Blades players talk about the game, we now have the glove dude talking about worries and this one lamenting the fact they are 'used'. It is as said, called being a grown up and working. NO ONE is forcing them. NO ONE.

And as we often do, obviously we can agree to disagree, I would rather a leader come out with bravado in public, to show they are up for the fight, and the doubts behind closed doors to make sure they are all safe and happy to be playing.

No he isn't. He is lamenting being a commodity (we all are as I have just said in the other thread... ) and saying they weren't consulted. Well, what does he think the PFA is there for? He's an employee, why go to the press? Why not go to your employer or your union rep?

Whilst Blades players talk about the game, we now have the glove dude talking about worries and this one lamenting the fact they are 'used'. It is as said, called being a grown up and working. NO ONE is forcing them. NO ONE.

And as we often do, obviously we can agree to disagree, I would rather a leader come out with bravado in public, to show they are up for the fight, and the doubts behind closed doors to make sure they are all safe and happy to be playing.

So he ought to be a good boy and not rock the boat? A lot of the players are worried, dead worried, particularly if they're black or asian. I'd rather they came out and said it. I respect Deeney for that, I respect Aguerro for that. I respect Mings for that.

If players in a dressing room are worried about playing, which would be better for them? Keeping it quiet, effectively saying shut up and get on with it? Or someone getting up and saying what their (legitimate) worries are? If I was one of those players I'd be much more comfortable with those concerns being out in the open, than having to pretend there weren't any concerns. And I'd be less than happy about a player who came out and said there were no worries, when there were.

Last edited:
It is what it is. On the one hand I respect him for speaking out, on the other it strikes me that survival is not top of mind for him.

I'll wait and see what they do on the pitch, a weak showing and defeat to Sheffield would tell me that we have a collection of weak willed bottlejobs who do not deserve to play at this level.

So he ought to be a good boy and not rock the boat? A lot of the players are worried, dead worried, particularly if they're black or asian. I'd rather they came out and said it. I respect Deeney for that, I respect Aguerro for that. I respect Mings for that.

If players in a dressing room are worried about playing, which would be better for them? Keeping it quiet, effectively saying shut up and get on with it? Or someone getting up and saying what their (legitimate) worries are? If I was one of those players I'd be much more comfortable with those concerns being out in the open, than having to pretend there weren't any concerns. And I'd be less than happy about a player who came out and said there were no worries, when there were.

No, not for the first time my points are ignored and the argument is slanted to what you want to argue NOT what I said. Others did this in the covid/pl thread.

He says football is about money. I say no shit sherlock, all business is about money. Anyone who doesn't realise that needs to grow up.

He says it isn't about the integrity of the league. Balls. There are plenty within the sport who want the season finished properly. He disagrees, you might. Fine. I am entitled to give my view on what he has said,because he ran to the papers with his views. Listen, I did it enough, made my views very public, I put my head above the parapet, sometimes you get lauded, sometimes you get slated. You can't open the box and not expect a reaction.

He says they are all a commodity. I say join the club, we all are. They arent special, they are just very successful (well done, love it, no jealousy there) in what they do. All employees are commodities, are we meant to laud these players as something over and above? It just read as 'grow up' to me. Sorry you don't like that, just my view.

How any of what I am saying have become what you have tried to bastardise the argument to is beyond me. No need to put words in my mouth, I have enough words to be slated for without others being assigned to me. :grinning:

Running to the Daily Mail isn't the way I'd deal with it. I'd do it via my employer and then if that isn't suitable, the union. IF he doesn't like the employer, fine, transfer/change (we all have to) and if the union is feckless, ROCK THE FUCKING BOAT.. GO FOR IT. Set one up with the other players, feck em off and really shake the system.

And if this is about health and safety, which isn't AT ALL what I was reading or what I was reacting to or what I was debating (thanks very much though) then be clear and concise. But as I have said (and you have ignored to suit how you want to debate my points) no one is being forced to play, no one. If they are, let us know.

Do I think they are safe to go back to work?

As safe as others being forced back (plenty have NO choice at all) and far safer than those who work indoors or close to the feckless masses, like supermarket folk.

I think the whole thing has been mismanaged, my view was, all along, by now we should be coming out of lockdown and it would be safe to return to playing WITHOUT (as I argued from the get go) fans. Now? No idea, it is a shambles. I don't see all the UFC fighters getting it or dropping to be fair.

I really don't get how you read into what I was saying and reacted to it in that way McParland, disappointed in that, it wasn't the debate whatsoever and I expect better than that.

Last edited:
Obviously he wouldn't even make the news if he was doing a normal job on 500quid a week, the money is irrelevant though, football and sport are no more essential than some shops, Nice to have but not essential therefore no need to open. Safety is paramount surely.
How much to risk your life 30k a year or 30k a week. A Nurse is essential a footballer is never going to be that, We might all love football but we won't die without it

Obviously he wouldn't even make the news if he was doing a normal job on 500quid a week, the money is irrelevant though, football and sport are no more essential than some shops, Nice to have but not essential therefore no need to open. Safety is paramount surely.

But non essential shops are opening BEFORE the football season starts.

So what's he moaning about?

But non essential shops are opening BEFORE the football season starts.

So what's he moaning about?

I didn't think he was moaning just stating how he feels but because he's on 30k a week he's a treated as an object and told to man up because someone on 8 quid an hour has to go to work. He's one of the few I'd listen to as he's had a real job in the real world he's not some spoilt footballer

It's about safety surely first and foremost and he's quite rightly saying it's not where the PL is concerned. If it was about integrity the lower leagues would be playing.

I get the fact that PL footballers are part of the greed but they make far more money for the fat cats just like any employee does,

I don't think they are being treated any differently really. We are all having to go back to work. Many haven't stopped working.

People talk about social distancing but loads aren't really able, it is just government window dressing. Just go look at a building site.

Nearly carried on but remembered this is the Mings not covid thread so won't ramble on.

Just didn't look right to me, running to the daily mail with moans, try being a bus driver right now! He was more than entitled to, but then, you get your views out there, people will discuss them.
. No footballer, as I understand it, is being forced to play.

I didn't think he was moaning just stating how he feels but because he's on 30k a week he's a treated as an object and told to man up because someone on 8 quid an hour has to go to work.,

He's saying they are commodities and then saying they weren't consulted.. how is that not moaning?

He has a point about public safety coming ahead of football. I agree with him, and have said the same myself. If he'd left it at that, fine.

But why does he seem to think footballers should be treated differently to any other employees? i.e. consulted about returning to work.

None of the rest of us are. We go back when our bosses tell us to.

And all this crap about being treated like commodities? Why? What's the difference between how footballers are being treated to the rest of us? Apart from the fact they have continued to pick up their full wages for the past 3 months when not working.... whether thats £8 an hour or 30k a week, is irrelevent, they are in a priveleged position to still be picking up their full pay and not lift a finger.

So stop whining and get on with it.