The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 57 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

Not sure if I put this in this thread or the match thread, but you can’t take a defender from the worst performing defensive club in the league, in every stat going.

Just imagine him starting a knockout game against a half decent nation, it’ll ruin his career playing on the world stage a land making a couple of fuck ups. Worst thing for me was he seemed to really concentrate for England when he got the cap, he wasn't great before that game for us this season but he’s even worse now. Concentration just seems way off, is he concentrating more on off the field stuff than his footy?

Playing for England he's got a team of quality players around him and some defenders who have half a clue of what they're doing. You can't say that about our team.

What I will say in defence of our defence is that its a lot easier to make mistakes if you're constantly being pelted throughout the game. Our midfield offers zero protection. A couple of passes is all it takes to bypass them. Our defence is far from perfect but you defend as a team and we've been sorely lacking. After a while it has to get disheartening to see a clearance or block you've made come straight back at you.

It’s been a mixed season in many ways for Aston Villa centre half Tyrone Mings. Mixed performances and results from the whole squad have left us pretty much where the sensible thought we’d be after so many new faces in the summer, and even existing players adjusting to a higher level – but despite some more noticeable hiccups in recent times, his early season form did see the 27-year-old gain well deserved England recognition.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...ct-to-stars-visionary-leader-acknowledgement/

I bloody loved Andi Weimann. How we turned him from a promising striker into a championship winger I'll never know. Well actually I do know how. Paul fecking Lambert. Hate that man.

He's a wannabe gangsta mixed with the likes of Barry Bannan and a few more who like the booze and stuff. Used to hang around with the wrong crowd sadly

Great double page spread in the Mail on Sunday today.
Interesting fact for those who doubt his value.
"No Premier League defender has made more blocks or been dribbled past fewer times this season than Tyrone Mings."
If we go down there'll be a queue for him.

Great double page spread in the Mail on Sunday today.
Interesting fact for those who doubt his value.
"No Premier League defender has made more blocks or been dribbled past fewer times this season than Tyrone Mings."
If we go down there'll be a queue for him.

I don't dispute those stats at all, my eyes, however, tell me that he seems to think he's the goalkeeper hence all the blocks. I'd be much happier if he marked his man out of the game and therefore didn't have any shots to block. I think we've had more shots at us than any other team hence he will have blocked a fair few of them .

Stats that don't measure the correct metrics and are taken in isolation mean nothing.

I can't see a queue for him. I've not been massively impressed with him overall. He's not a bad player but there's two issues I see, one is that a lot of his work is last ditch, he relies on recovery pace to make up for positional issues and this I think is why he makes so many blocks.

Second is that he's a liability on the ball, he over plays it, tries the harder pass when the simple one is one, has this bizarre habit of doing some sort of Cruyff turn in his own box in order to shift the ball onto his weaker right foot and put himself under more pressure than he needs to be. He has undeniably cost us goals with cavalier play at the back.

Ultimately he's a mid table quality centre half at best so given we paid a lot of money for him should we go down I cannot see many teams looking to pay the sort of price we'd want for him.

I can't see a queue for him. I've not been massively impressed with him overall. He's not a bad player but there's two issues I see, one is that a lot of his work is last ditch, he relies on recovery pace to make up for positional issues and this I think is why he makes so many blocks.

Second is that he's a liability on the ball, he over plays it, tries the harder pass when the simple one is one, has this bizarre habit of doing some sort of Cruyff turn in his own box in order to shift the ball onto his weaker right foot and put himself under more pressure than he needs to be. He has undeniably cost us goals with cavalier play at the back.

Ultimately he's a mid table quality centre half at best so given we paid a lot of money for him should we go down I cannot see many teams looking to pay the sort of price we'd want for him.
Not even sure what the transfer market will be this season. Surely teams will cut their cloth. Don't see mega transfers this season.

Mings is a top class defender in an inferior team. He would fit in at any level. Hes better than Stones or Otamendi, better than Matip and Gomez. Any club would take him.