The Trezeguet Thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Trezeguet Thread

Big step up to the PL. Last season Trez was learning in a team that was learning. This season there's a confidence about him. It started with those goals which kept us up. I sense we're becoming dangerous up front, and he's part of it.

I think the honeymoon is over with Trezeguet. Whilst he deserves praise for his efforts this season he has still not convinced me in terms of his quality on the ball, he doesn't do enough in the final third to create chances. Last night, with his effort and workrate dropping vs previous weeks, you just had a poor player not capable of doing anything.

Too much of a limiting factor IMO. Watkins is already suffering with a lack of service and Trezeguet is playing his part in that.

Can help think that we have wasted a chance to get Bertrand up to speed by playing Trez just because we were winning and he runs his tits off every game.
He is and always will be a headless chicken. I'm not bandwagon jumping as I've been saying it for ages.

As I said to junior 1 last night during the game. Trez hasn't got a trick to get past a defender. As a winger you need a trick or two. Especially when like Trez you are not blessed with pace.

Trez is like Connor for me in that he comes up with a contribution every now and then which keeps him in the side . But when those contributions don't occur you scratch your head and think what are they offering.

I think Trez is a good tactical option for 7-8 games of the season, your Liverpool and Man City type games. I’m not sold on Traore until I see a bit more, I think the pace of the game looks too much for him at the moment but he’ll get there. I’ve got a feeling it’s going to take Traore a fair few games to really make an impact.

Trez is a trier, and god loves a trier. I think he deserves praise for being a big part of our survival, but we can’t play him out of sympathy. I do think he tries to run through players too much and gives away some needless fouls. Too often he’ll have a fullback running towards his own goal and his tenacity to get the balls results in a foul, he can definitely get smarter here.

Against teams where we have more of the ball and where we need to find ways to unlock the door, he’s definitely not the man to start as we have one outlet in jack.

I do however like the fact he’s different to Traore, that’s good for us because it gives us different options.

As I said to junior 1 last night during the game. Trez hasn't got a trick to get past a defender. As a winger you need a trick or two. Especially when like Trez you are not blessed with pace.

Trez is like Connor for me in that he comes up with a contribution every now and then which keeps him in the side . But when those contributions don't occur you scratch your head and think what are they offering.
He hasn't really got a final ball either, that's more worrying that his lack of tricks.

I've revelled in the Trez Bremner analogy BUT we have been using a winger as a DM. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and make each player do his own job. You lot defend, you lot midfield, you providers (wingers) and Ollie get ready.

Trez is a 4-4-2 right winger shoehorned into a 4-3-3 setup. It’s a square peg in a round hole, which works against top teams to stifle them if they’ve got good fullbacks like Liverpool do. But most of the time, it leaves us unbalanced.

Poor Trez, one bad result and all the praise this season dissipates :lol:

Everyone was below par last night. They weren’t allowed to be good by a very good Leeds performance. And this is the issue, sometimes we will be outplayed. Two games ago we made the Champions look shite.....it happens. Does their performance mean Klopp and all their players are useless? Of course not, we just made them look ordinary on the night.

Poor Trez, one bad result and all the praise this season dissipates :lol:

Everyone was below par last night. They weren’t allowed to be good by a very good Leeds performance. And this is the issue, sometimes we will be outplayed. Two games ago we made the Champions look shite.....it happens. Does their performance mean Klopp and all their players are useless? Of course not, we just made them look ordinary on the night.

No. While I agree that from some there has been a knee jerk how dare we lose everyone is shite now. Some of us are more consistent whether right or ultimately wrong.

This is what I have posted in this thread so far about Trez....

March 20
He is pretty shite isn't he

July 20
The best worst goal scoring winger I have ever seen.
This season is turning surreal.

October 5
He is a bit of a mystery to me.
That finish v Leicester in the cup was sublime .
The cross for Watkins 3rd was technically brilliant.
Popped up v Arsenal.
Both showed he has something about him
But at times flatters to deceive so much its bloody frustrating.
Maybe that performance last night is what happens when you know that there is someone breathing over your shoulder (Traore) . If so, bring it on. Its what we need

Last edited:
Before the whole team capitulated after the first goal he was a weak link in attack for me. His problem is that we have someone who may be better waiting in the wings. Trez does give 100% but at the start of a game I would like to see a bit more skill rather than just effort. Come in Bert for Southampton, only change.

I was just thinking I'd swap Trez for Marc Albrighton in a flash and Marc can't get a look in at Leicester these days.
Nows there's a player who works his nuts off every game but has the first time deliver of Beckham. Imagine Watkins knowing as soon as the winger gets the ball it's coming in

I think Traore will get his chance against Southampton, but Trezeguet has shown in the past 10 games that he's a useful member of a premier league squad. I'm excited to see Traore play more than a few minutes with Watkins, Barkley, McGinn and Grealish though. I've liked what I've seen so far.

I was just thinking I'd swap Trez for Marc Albrighton in a flash and Marc can't get a look in at Leicester these days.
Nows there's a player who works his nuts off every game but has the first time deliver of Beckham. Imagine Watkins knowing as soon as the winger gets the ball it's coming in
This is it. There's no real pattern or logic to how Trezeguet approaches the game. Must be irritating for someone like Waktins. A player like Albrighton will look to hit certain areas with the ball, this makes it easier for a striker to make runs and attack spaces.

This is it. There's no real pattern or logic to how Trezeguet approaches the game. Must be irritating for someone like Waktins. A player like Albrighton will look to hit certain areas with the ball, this makes it easier for a striker to make runs and attack spaces.

There was no real pattern or logic how the whole team approached the Leeds game. The plan was wrong and a team like Leeds can make you look stupid. Trez has been mostly fine this season; when we have a working plan he's OK. And when we don't he can still produce the odd killer shot; without that we'd be playing the likes of Norwich.

I think Traore will get his chance against Southampton, but Trezeguet has shown in the past 10 games that he's a useful member of a premier league squad. I'm excited to see Traore play more than a few minutes with Watkins, Barkley, McGinn and Grealish though. I've liked what I've seen so far.

I agree, he has shown we shouldn't easily dispense with him and in some games, he is going to be invaluable. Coming off the bench is probably a better role for him anyway especially if we're winning and need to see a game out.