The Telecaster is nearly finished.......... | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Telecaster is nearly finished..........

When a guitar looks that good people will expect a certain level of musicianship (that's why I buy cheap Takamini or Grafter acoustics).
Get practicing :guitar: (i was looking for a dominatrix emoji but couldn't find one)

Feedback is good! Maybe just too sensitive? Looking forward to hearing it soon?
Should have a sooth sound to it though, with the Telecaster. Would be great to have a place like that in Medway. Not that I'd try to build my own guitar anyway. I'm not very technical when it comes to the workings of a guitar, but I'd love to start of with the feedback!
I've re-shielded the inner cavities and the back of the control plate using graphite paint and more copper foil and guess what no feedback. I'll post a video soon of it being played.

I've re-shielded the inner cavities and the back of the control plate using graphite paint and more copper foil and guess what no feedback. I'll post a video soon of it being played.

That's good if you've got no feedback, but how you going to play Metallica songs without it?
As for your other message, I haven't the patience to build my own guitar! I enjoy playing but apart from the outside of a guitar, I don't really understand the pick ups etc for the electrics. I'd electrocute myself wiring it up lol
Look forward to the video :-)

That's good if you've got no feedback, but how you going to play Metallica songs without it?
As for your other message, I haven't the patience to build my own guitar! I enjoy playing but apart from the outside of a guitar, I don't really understand the pick ups etc for the electrics. I'd electrocute myself wiring it up lol
Look forward to the video :-)
Feedback a la Metallica is done by the musician/engineer not a faulty guitar. As regards electrocuting yourself, I'm not sure but I don't think it generates more than 3v, which is less than your train set.

Im sorry to say that unlike Wayne, I didn't bother with fifteen coats of laquer, but rubbed it up with some oil I had left over from the kitchen worktop. Stank like hell at first, but it looks all right and makes a serviceable noise and allows me, when the need arises and depending what mood I'm in, to pretend I'm McCartney, Entwistle or Jamerson.

Feedback a la Metallica is done by the musician/engineer not a faulty guitar. As regards electrocuting yourself, I'm not sure but I don't think it generates more than 3v, which is less than your train set.

I don't have a train set, but did as a kid, and did get an electric shock from it lol
Make it loud, that's the Metallica way :-)

I'm taking the first Tele to a luthier on Friday to get it set up properly, at long last.

In the meantime, I've started a new one - about half way through the paint and polishing process. The pick guard and bridge just for the photoIMG_2279.JPG

I might learn to play but I certainly enjoy making them. Next, it'll be a sunburst Telecaster with humbucker pick ups.

This is a non-footballing post alert

Feedback is good! Maybe just too sensitive? Looking forward to hearing it soon?
Should have a sooth sound to it though, with the Telecaster. Would be great to have a place like that in Medway. Not that I'd try to build my own guitar anyway. I'm not very technical when it comes to the workings of a guitar, but I'd love to start of with the feedback!

So have you started learning to play guitar, Wayne? There's always a great feeling playing guitar, so playing a guitar that you built must be really special :-)

Wayne, how many hours do you reckon it took you to assemble your second compared with the first?

And do you have much experience in this sort of thing?

Wayne, how many hours do you reckon it took you to assemble your second compared with the first?

And do you have much experience in this sort of thing?
About a month solid but spread out over 5 months. I've learnt a lot doing the second one - partly through talking to people, especially the luthier who did the set up, eg contour of the strings, sloping the grooves in the nut, setting the bridge right for intonation and half a turn on the truss rod to align the string heights along the neck.

The next one will be black and the colour is finished and polished with 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000 wet and dry. Now I've got to find somewhere warm and not humid to apply the clear coats, which when hardened after three/four weeks can be polished with Auto Glym.

The pick ups were wound by a guy in north Derbyshire and he wired the pots etc.

It'll be another 5 or 6 weeks before it's finished - then I want to do a sunburst job and add humbucker pick ups.

I'm encouraged by the fact that Leo Fender couldn't play the guitar.

Learn this one, Wayne. It's one of my favourites, especially the Hendrix version...

Last edited: