The Telecaster is nearly finished.......... | Vital Football

The Telecaster is nearly finished..........

Assuming this is a guitar kit? Would be interested to see where you got it from?

Looking good mate
Thanks. I saw a plain ash body in a music shop in Devon for £30 and took it from there. About 30 coats of lacquer on the body. Got a Chinese maple neck again about £30 and about 30 coats of gun stock oil. Had the pick ups wired by a guy in Derbyshire and the other bits and pieces are genuine Fender parts you can buy or get online. Apart from painting and final soldering, I shielded all the internal cavities and the back of the pick plate with copper foil and that's about it apart from the hard bit - fixing the neck, ie alignment and whether to use a shim.

Looks really smart Wayne :-)
Have you plugged it in yet? I know you said you had it wired by a guy, but what pick ups have you used? Just trying to imagine the sound :-)

Thanks.

Yes have plugged it in and there was some feedback. I think I'll open it up and remove the copper shielding and use paint instead - if any foil works loose it can affect the electronics. Otherwise, I'm very pleased.

The pick ups are regular Telecaster style wound by a guy in Derbyshire who trades by the name of Bloodstone Guitars - take a look at his website, which will explain better than me.

Thanks.

Yes have plugged it in and there was some feedback. I think I'll open it up and remove the copper shielding and use paint instead - if any foil works loose it can affect the electronics. Otherwise, I'm very pleased.

The pick ups are regular Telecaster style wound by a guy in Derbyshire who trades by the name of Bloodstone Guitars - take a look at his website, which will explain better than me.

Feedback is good! Maybe just too sensitive? Looking forward to hearing it soon?
Should have a sooth sound to it though, with the Telecaster. Would be great to have a place like that in Medway. Not that I'd try to build my own guitar anyway. I'm not very technical when it comes to the workings of a guitar, but I'd love to start of with the feedback!

You don't have to be that technical. I am cack-handed and had to strip off all the paint on my first effort but persisted. If you can't solder there's always someone who can. I'll do my own next time. Right now, I'm going to strip out the copper foil and shield the hidden parts with special paint as there is some shorting somewhere. I've already ordered bits to start a new model - black body this time.

Excellent stuff, Wayne.

Last year my workmates gave me a bass guitar kit for my birthday and it was great fun putting it together. The only downside was that I had to shell out more than the kit cost for a bass amp and then learn how to play the damned thing. It was worth it, though.