The Tammy Abraham Thread | Page 33 | Vital Football

The Tammy Abraham Thread

Completely agree. I wasn’t suggesting anything else.

It does appear he suffers too many fitness problems also.

He should have been stepping up this season and making real progress but if anything went backwards as he was never fit.

A year out on loan to the championship providing we have enough alternatives could make or break his future.

I'll tell you what I think - I haven't got a clue who is gonna make the transition to PL. Would I sign Tammy? yes at the right price (and Purslow and Smith will have a value put on him already).

I'd also sign another striker and offload Kodjia and Hogan to offset the outlay.

Will it happen - very doubtful.

Just to clarify, Tammy is a good player and has lots of potential. I’d be happy if we did sign him in the hope can make him better but equally if we don’t the world won’t end and we’ll find another option.

I can’t see him scoring 15+ goals in the big time, and neither can I see him getting 10-12 assists for his teammates.

Talking of love, didn’t he not turn up for training when his head was nearly by the Dingles?

If it’s all academic anyway because he’s staying at Chelsea then good luck to him, it could be a blessing in disguise.

Edit: just caught up on the full thread and Melon’s post in the page before sums up my thoughts exactly ??

We have a young striker who can hold the ball up and bring others into play. Keinan Davis. Problem is he doesn’t score. He doesn’t seem to have that same instinct as Tammy to be in the right place.

I see Davis as more of a Heskey type, as in holds the ball up and plays people in other than a prolific goal scorer, I think he will have his uses but obviously his game time will be restricted, the question is to send him out on loan or have Smith and his staff coach the goal scoring aspect into his game.

I’d love it if we signed Tammy. He’s got a good understanding with Grealish and El Ghazi. As well as his impressive tally for us he also shows a lot of leadership qualities. Seems to be getting better with age too.

I've seen some great strikers in a Villa shirt over the last 52 years , Tammy isn't in the top 10 . It's more than just quantity of Goals , more about Quality.

Andy Gray "the first time" was my favourite of the Goalscorers , I actually shed tears when he left. Sir Brian was the most talented player striker wise . Gary was the best all round striker . Andy Lochhead was an absolute legend. Yorkie was just brilliant , Dean Saunders what a poacher, Big Christian the list is endless

How about Gerry Hitchens and Peter McParland, two greats. Peter especially could play all across the front line, which was five positions in those days.

We have a young striker who can hold the ball up and bring others into play. Keinan Davis. Problem is he doesn’t score. He doesn’t seem to have that same instinct as Tammy to be in the right place.

I can’t really see a Maupay type being our main guy next season either. We have bought 2 wingers. We are being linked with getting at least one more. What is the point in crosses into the box with a target who is the size of Julian Joachim.

Maupay is something different AMS78, not a typical forward, mobile and he'd scare the bejesus out of 15 central defensive partnerships.

Keith Leonard was He-Who-Walks-On-Water's first proper strike partner. Brilliant in that 75 season....

Yeah and he was no speed demon either, just knew what his job was and did it to the best of his ability. Oh how I hated Roy McFarland for that tackle and stamp on Keith.

How about Gerry Hitchens and Peter McParland, two greats. Peter especially could play all across the front line, which was five positions in those days.

Before my time 58 but my uncle used to assure me Gerry Hitchens was and may still be the best striker ever to grace a Villa Shirt

Keith Leonard was He-Who-Walks-On-Water's first proper strike partner. Brilliant in that 75 season....

Saw Keith against Chester in the cup that year. Shows how long ago it was, a chap called Terry Owen was in midfield for The Seals - later more famous as the father of Michael Owen.

Brilliant night - 19,000 attendance (full house). Any more and the stadium would have burst.

Come on 58 even you've not seen Pongo play !

True but my old man did and he told me all about him.
I did know George Cummings but, he used to run a shop on the High St. a 45 degree angle to the right from the Orient picture house. My Gran used to work in the Orient and when she went round for her pay, she'd take me into George's shop and buy me a Dinky car. George always gave me a mint humbug, I've always loved mint humbugs.

Last edited:

I did see both play together. Hitchens was a classic centre forward, and a great one. McParland was anything but a classic left winger; he would pop up anywhere, and had a habit of running straight at a defence and daring them to stop him. Tough as iron, and quick. Both terrific players and i think they could play in today's game.

I've seen some great strikers in a Villa shirt over the last 52 years , Tammy isn't in the top 10 . It's more than just quantity of Goals , more about Quality.

Andy Gray "the first time" was my favourite of the Goalscorers , I actually shed tears when he left. Sir Brian was the most talented player striker wise . Gary was the best all round striker . Andy Lochhead was an absolute legend. Yorkie was just brilliant , Dean Saunders what a poacher, Big Christian the list is endless
How come Withey didnt rate a mention 57.

True but my old man did and he told me all about him.
I did know George Cummings but, he used to run a shop on the High St. a 45 degree angle to the right from the Orient picture house. My Gran used to work in the Orient and when she went round for her pay, she'd take me into George's shop and buy me a Dinky car. George always gave me a mint humbug, I've always loved mint humbugs.
Would that be the Orient at six ways Aston 58. I remember seeing Cliff Richard and the Shadows in Summer Holiday way back when at that cinema.

You mean that clapped out old journey man who won us the European Cup I just forgot about him :ooops:
Yes thats the one. Brilliant hold up play until the cavalry arrived. I remember all the comments when we signed him about being over the hill. Out of your list I dont say he was the best, he wasnt, that was as you say, Andy Gray, the first time, but my personal favourite was Andy Lockhead. I can still see the goal in the League Cup semi final going in the net in front of me at the Holte End. Fantastic night.