The tactical options for Kaneless Spurs | Vital Football

The tactical options for Kaneless Spurs

Spursex

Alert Team

Four tactical options for a Harry Kane-less Tottenham to employ against Fulham

Save

kane-injury_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqxnlSljj15z1o8iKqMGA7tyH0-jRUT4rHK8EgtaGoQwQ.jpg
How Mauricio Pochettino can keep up Spurs' title push without talisman Harry Kane

17 January 2019 • 10:25am

After Tottenham's title challenge fell apart just days after it had begun, there is concern among their fans that their season is about to crumble with the news they feared most: Harry Kane has damaged his ankle ligaments. Again.
Kane has previous when it comes to returning early from injuries, but that won't provide a great deal of comfort to the supporters facing up to the prospect of games in four different competitions without their talisman.
Most fans have jumped to the conclusion that the team needs investment from Daniel Levy this month, but it is not his style to rush into a deal and, as it turns out, there might be some solutions closer to home.
Spurs have managed before without Kane, notably beating Manchester City at the start of Pep Guardiola's reign, winning at Chelsea last season and beating Arsenal last month in the Carabao Cup.
The problem this time around is that Heung-min Son is away at the Asian Cup, so Spurs will have to make do without two of their best attackers.
Here are four options for Mauricio Pochettino to go with in the coming weeks.
Switch to three at the back
Pochettino has used three-centre-back formations often during his time at Spurs and has players to make a few different systems work well. This season Spurs have lined up in a 3-4-3 (3-4-2-1) and a 3-1-4-2 (3-3-2-3) in the Premier League, with the additional centre-back allowing advanced wing-backs, which means the wide forwards can play inside the pitch. This setup might be perfect for making use of Fernando Llorente’s skillset.

The shape works best if the defenders can play a bit since fielding a centre-back rather than midfielder or forward would traditionally result in a loss of creativity to gain stability, making the side in possession a little less dangerous. However, Toby Alderweireld, Davinson Sanchez and Jan Vertonghen are all ball-playing centre-backs able to find a teammate with a pass from deep or, if the space opens up, carry the ball into midfield meaning Spurs don’t lose numerical superiority in any part of the pitch.

The two midfielders in a 3-4-3 tend to sit slightly deeper to provide protection and keep the ball moving - as in Antonio Conte’s version of it at Chelsea - while a 3-1-4-2 allows for advanced playmakers in behind the strikers. Christian Eriksen and Dele Alli could get forward to join in attacking moves behind Fernando Llorente and Lucas Moura if the second option were taken, while the pairing in a 3-4-3 is slightly more complicated. Eriksen next to a destroyer would certainly work, but Alli, Harry Winks might not provide the steel to ensure the midfield is not battle ground easily lost.
Spurs tend to focus play through the middle of the pitch in their usual narrow 4-1-2-1-2 but in a three-centre-back system, the wing-backs would be heavily relied on to provide width, something which suits the striker available. Llorente is great at finding space to attack crosses and can either shoot with headers or look to flick on balls sent his way. More crosses might equal more chances to score.

The 3-4-3 would mean two of Moura, Alli, Eriksen and Erik Lamela start either side of Llorente, defending wide against opposition full-backs but attacking through the middle of the pitch as inside forwards. Llorente’s role in this system would be more than goal poaching - Spurs want to get the ball forward quickly from goalkeeper to attackers and his aerial ability means Hugo Lloris has a target to aim for. With runners either side, Llorente can win the first header and his teammates the second ball.

Use a 'false nine'
A fairly likely solution to the Kane problem would be to do what Chelsea have been doing in the absence of an in-form centre-forward, and what Spurs did in the win at Stamford Bridge in April last year: employ a 'false nine' up front.
The idea here is to play without a traditional striker - in this case meaning Llorente remains a Plan B from the bench.

Lamela played as the nominal striker in that game as Spurs ended their 28-year hoodoo at Chelsea and Alli ran riot by making late runs beyond the last line of defence. The false nine dropping into midfield causes central defenders a headache, as they have to decide on each occasion whether to go with that player (usually someone who is comfortable on the ball and will look to receive the ball to feet) and risk leaving a gap at the back, or leave him alone, thereby allowing the opposition to overload players in central midfield.

It is a tricky tactic to perfect, but Spurs have done it before to great success and Pochettino will be pleased to have this as an option.
Stick with the 4-4-2 diamond
Spurs' style of play has evolved this season, with Kane's role changing markedly. A slightly simplistic explanation of this change is that Kane has moved deeper, from more of a number nine to a 10. His play-making is a hugely underrated part of his game, and the switch in role has allowed him to create from deeper and given the pacier members of the team more space to run in behind opposition defences.

It may be Pochettino's preference to keep on playing with a 4-4-2 diamond for reasons of consistency. Although Llorente cannot replicate Kane's performances like for like, he is adept at holding off defenders and bringing midfielders into play, while Moura has the speed to occupy Son's role, on the shoulder of the last defender and looking for any opportunity to spring the offside trap.
Playing this way would cause the least disruption to the starting lineup and crucially, would allow key men in Eriksen and Alli to continue in the positions they have been playing. However, with Moussa Sissoko also set for a spell on the sidelines, it isn't clear that Spurs have the midfielders to play this formation.

Return to 4-2-3-1
Pochettino could opt for the tried-and-tested 4-2-3-1. This setup depends on fast transitions to open up opponents and allows for the ball to move quickly from back to front. The wide forwards can play as wingers, allowing the full-backs to underlap, or as inside-forwards encouraged to attack central space when the full-backs overlap instead. Spurs will have the vast majority of possession against Fulham on Sunday, which means Trippier and Rose will spend a lot of their time doing exactly this.
In this shape either Llorente or Moura can play as the nine and look to push the opposition centre-backs towards their own box to create space for the 10. Alli would be excellent in this role playing off either striker, able to run from deep to attack crosses if Moura is there as more of a front-post-attacking, off-the-shoulder runner, or sprinting in behind Llorente to chase flick-ons and linked passes.

Since Spurs are certain to dominate the ball against Claudio Ranieri’s side, having a player like Llorente in the box makes sense. He’s hardly been a prolific goalscorer since joining Spurs but as shown during his time at Swansea, he is fantastic at attacking crosses and being in the right place at the right time inside the box.

If Llorente can shake off some of the rust accumulated from seasons spent on the bench, he could have an enjoyable afternoon causing problems for Fulham’s ropey defence.

Why Tottenham do not need to panic buy a striker to replace Harry Kane

Save

TELEMMGLPICT000185570782_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqRrJEQoVsdrBtWPU7gE9EfeAI2iOppWEYL1HIuyrlOzI.jpeg
Harry Kane could be out of action until March Credit: PA

16 January 2019 • 1:48pm

It was just last month that Tottenham Hotspur completed a hat-trick of firsts under Mauricio Pochettino. Having inflicted Pep Guardiola’s first defeat as a Premier League manager two seasons ago, Spurs won for the first time in 28 years at Stamford Bridge last term.
The Carabao Cup quarter-final victory over Arsenal last month was Pochettino’s first success at the Emirates and, as chance would have it, all three of those milestones were achieved without Harry Kane in the starting line-up.
It is why Pochettino will not be pushed into panic buying after receiving the news that Kane suffered ankle ligament damage against Manchester United and could be out until the start of March.
That is not to say Spurs will not buy a forward as Pochettino has around £50million to spend if he wants it and the club were already looking at potential replacements for Fernando Llorente.
Liverpool’s Divock Origi is the right age and profile and only has 18 months remaining on his contract, while Pochettino has always been a fan of Jay Rodriguez who is having a good season at West Bromwich Albion and David Pleat, whose opinion is valued by chairman Daniel Levy, has watched Hull City’s Jarrod Bowen.

But Tottenham insiders are adamant that Kane’s injury will not change Pochettino’s planning and that the only potential direct consequence is that Llorente, who had been lined up for a return to Athletic Bilbao, will not be allowed to leave this month.

Injuries are part of the game but no-one will be working harder to get back fit. Thanks for the messages. pic.twitter.com/cUeq4zFrlk
— Harry Kane (@HKane) January 15, 2019

The difficulty Pochettino faces in trying to sign forwards was perhaps best articulated when he revealed Tottenham’s interest in Alvaro Morata before the former Real Madrid man joined Chelsea in July 2017.

Pochettino said: “Morata talked about me in the media he said, ‘Mauricio called me’. That was from the beginning — two years ago or more. When we spoke he said to me, ‘Why do you want me if you have Harry Kane?’

“You know? If I go to try to sign a striker, they will all say, ‘Uh, gaffer. You want me for what? To be on the bench? Because it’s Harry Kane, I can’t compete with Harry Kane’.”

That exchange may say as much about Morata’s attitude as Tottenham’s dilemma, but it is a fact that any forward the club look at must accept that Kane will always be the main man.

Spurs were given no chance when Guardiola’s City arrived at White Hart Lane in October 2016 on the back of 10 wins and a draw in their first 11 games under the Spaniard. But, without Kane, Pochettino’s team won 2-0 with Dele Alli getting one of the goals.

Pochettino decided to experiment in April last year, when Kane raced back from his last injury to take a place on the substitutes’ bench against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Erik Lamela was employed as a false nine and by the time Kane stepped off the bench in the 74th minute, the game was already won with Alli scoring twice in a 3-1 victory.

Kane started last month’s Carabao Cup quarter-final on the bench due to rotation and once again Alli got on the scoresheet in a memorable 2-0 success over Arsenal.
It is a statistical quirk that during the past three seasons Tottenham’s win percentage is actually higher without Kane and, as a team, they have, very slightly, averaged more goals.
Alli certainly seems to relish filling the void left by Kane. The 22-year-old has ‘only’ scored six goals this season, but it would be no surprise if he suddenly found his shooting boots over the coming weeks.
Since 2015/16, Alli has scored 37 goals in the 113 Premier League matches he has played with Kane, giving him an average of 0.33 goals per game. But that average goes up to 0.44 goals a game when Kane is missing, as Alli has netted four times in the nine League matches he has played without the striker.

Son Heung-min was also on target against Arsenal in December and he started all three of the City, Chelsea and Arsenal games that Tottenham won without Kane.

TELEMMGLPICT000179546063_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqGO3nPzUHtl7QIt9kBJy--uDb_zHeougPJk0-Rsnxim0.jpeg

Fernando Llorente will not be allowed to depart this transfer window Credit: reuters

The South Korean is now away with his national side at the Asia Cup and the timing of his absence has caused almost as much concern among Tottenham supporters as Kane’s injury itself.
Should South Korea reach the final, then Son will be away until February 2 meaning he would miss the games against Fulham, Chelsea in the Carabao Cup semi-final second leg, Crystal Palace in the FA Cup, Watford and Newcastle United.
It is while he is without both Kane and Son that Pochettino will have to be at his creative best, but he still has options. Llorente scored a hat-trick on his last start against Tranmere in the FA Cup, while Moura, who is on his way back from a knee injury, has scored eight goals this season and played through the middle.
Pochettino will also be well aware of Kane’s record of coming back from injury earlier than predicted. The last time he suffered ankle ligament damage, Spurs put his recovery at six weeks and he was back in three. Reasons to be cheerful may be pushing it, but Tottenham can still feel optimistic without their talisman.

Last edited:
Fascinating that 3 of Poch's big achievements have occurred with Harry Kane out. Although the victory at the 'Emptycrates' is stretching it a tad, as H came on & set up the 2nd goal. But the other 2 are legit. No wonder Poch isn't panicking!

We have good attacking goal scorers and it's getting them upfield instead of helping out in MF that is key. Eriksen and Alli have been dropping deeper to cover our decimated MF. Even more so now with Sissoko out.

Alli with his intelligence, movement and skill set in unison with Llorente with Eriksen behind could work.

Starting with Fulham, let’s see how all this optimism plays out in real life.

No Kane is one thing, no Kane and Son is another. I liked Moura when he first came, but the more I see it is obvious that he cannot fill the role of Son...his ball control is poor and his finishing poor.

Plus, Sissoko missing is a major MF problem...Winks and Skip as a combination is too lightweight against PL teams.

I think this combination of absentees will seriously impact our performances and results, and is not to be taken lightly as these articles imply.

Alli is definitely carrying a knock. Lucas still has a knee problem and won't be fully fit.

Lamela is made of glass.

We have no option but to start with Llorente up front.

I am actually looking forward to seeing Llorente playing in a hold up role and the 3 AMs behind him running off of him. The difference is Llorente will stay higher up the pitch, which is where I want him. Kane had a tendency to drift deep...not bad, but I do think we tended to lose our shape a bit.

No bash on Kane, but we will look different and it could be beneficial...we will see.

If we can't bang them in against Fulham, it is NOT a good indication.

I am actually looking forward to seeing Llorente playing in a hold up role and the 3 AMs behind him running off of him. The difference is Llorente will stay higher up the pitch, which is where I want him. Kane had a tendency to drift deep...not bad, but I do think we tended to lose our shape a bit.

No bash on Kane, but we will look different and it could be beneficial...we will see.

If we can't bang them in against Fulham, it is NOT a good indication.

I agree. I forget which game, but Kane was dropping too deep and trying too hard to link play in the first half. Huddle I think it was made this observation and the message got through (from Poch obvs) in the second half to stay high up the pitch. We played better and won as result.

I'm quite excited (ok, maybe not excited) but intrigued to see Llorente start a few games to see how bad things could be.

Fulham is as good a first game at trying life without Kane is it could get tbh!

Last edited:
I think the point about getting Dele and Eriksen further up the pitch is a valid one. That should mean that Winks and Skipp play flatter without the Sissoko role covering every blade of grass. It also means Winks and Skipp need to ensure the full-backs bomb on and cover into their spaces.

It's key to keep Rose in the team as much as possible and see if he can get that energy down the left side until Son is back.