The Swansea thread | Vital Football

The Swansea thread

MadAmster

Vital Squad Member
Win this and, barring a double figure win for Boro at Rotherham this Saturday and a 5 goal defeat for us against WBA or similar, we are in the playoffs. That would make the season a real success IMO.

Then it's the lottery of the Playoffs. We would get the DYS. Not an easy task on paper. They have beaten us twice, quite convincingly, this season already and have 13 points more than us thus far. As everybody knows, come the PO's that will count for nothing.

Add to that the drop in DYS form since Spygate (2 points a game up to Spygate and 1.4 thereafter) and it's a whole new ball game.

The weekend's little bit of playacting by Bamford might see him charged by the FA and banned for quite a few games and missing the Playoffs altogether.

So many intangibles. Anyway, back on topic....... win this and....... 0-1 and a second away win on the trot to follow our first of the calendar year at Bristol.

BTW - We really have to beat the Swans..... I had a €5 12 bet combination bet last weekend. Get them all right and it would pay out €300.

Guess who let me down?

I am sticking with a draw at Swansea and then beating the Baggies on Sunday. Which will be enough.

Of course, it's Millwall vs. a bruised Bristol City tonight. Defeat for them and it's them out of the equation. A draw would almost certainly mean them missing out on GD too.

Brizzle keep a toe in the water with a wobbly 2-1 win but need both Boro and ourselves to slip up!! Sorry, no chance!! They have been poor at home post xmas winning only one in seven so its hard luck to them!!
We need to win at Swansea to avoid last day nerves and we will nick a 1-0 win!! A draw v West Brom takes us to the play-offs in good heart!!

Sod it!! Now it's wee wee time!!
Typical DCFC, nowt like making the faithful suffer death by a thousand cuts!!

With my coaches hat on I put this loss of 2 points down to FL and his staff.

Basically we creamed them 1st half and their manager sad Derby were the better team first half. They deserved to go in 1-0 up; probably could have been two because they were the better team.
"It wasn't from a lack of trying on our part, sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say the opposition are better. He made personeel changes at HT and also went 3 at the back. Their wing backs pushed on making it very hard for Bogle and Malone to join our attacks. We were outnumbered in midfield and struggling to cope.

It wasn't until the 81st minute when he brought Marriott on that he went 1-4-4-2 in an attempt to match them in MF and go for the winner. It wasn't to be.

I also question the wisdom of keeping Keogh on when he did his groin. We are bad enough at defendeing corners anyhow. Having one of your 3 main defenders of corners less mobile isn't a wise choice IMO. Whose header was saved by Roos only for Routledge to net the rebound? McBurnie. Probably the very man the injured Keogh was supposed to mark. The margins at this level are minimal and IMO not replacing Keogh was the millimetre that saw us drop 2 points.

We now need an unlikely win on Sunday. I foresee a 1-1 draw.

Roos had a good game
Bogle idem ditto
Keogh too as did his replacement Evans
Tomori had another good un despite, visibly, struggling at times with his dead leg from Bristol
Malone played well enough
BJ was decent
Hudds calm and collected on the ball. Seemd a little off the pace off the ball.
Mount had a good game but seems, in the last couple of games, to be arguing a lot with the ball as opposed to caressing it as he did earlier in the season.
Lawrence had that one shot that grazed the bar late on. Most of the time invisible, ineffectual and still fouling with 90% of his attempted tackles. Neither use nor ornament out wide IMO. That foul was never worth a yellow card though, several previous ones had been.
Waghorn put in another good shift
Wison had a couple of good moves but still spent way too much time flat in his 'arris for my liking

Subs
For the 2nd game running, Evans didn't look out of place at the heart of the defence
Bennett carried on where Waghorn left off. Yellow card was deserved
Marriott wasn't really on long enough to make an impact but did get into 'em

Referee. I thought he had a good first half. 2nd half he seemed to take a dislike to Waggy. Not awarding him free kicks we should have had and even giving Swansea a free kick on 3 or 4 occasions when Carter-Vickers had fouled Waggy. This behaviour was transferred to Bennett when he replaced Waggy.

I can't see us beating West Brom so this loss of 2 points is a shame!! But in truth we blew our chances earlier in the season when our performances did not warrant a top six finish!!

Mount is a key player and his loss was massive but all clubs have to cope with such problems!! At such times someone has to step up and fill the breach!! Unfortunately, midfield has been our black hole, plenty go in there never to be seen again!!
We have players who can do a job but they can't be relied upon game on game, Lawrence - no comment, Wilson - no comment, etc etc etc.
But hey, we have done better than we could have reasonably expected, the problem if we miss out is regrouping for next season! That is a worry!

Latest Rams News