Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 23 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

Reckon lack of organisation and workrate are the biggest problem tbh (altho quality isn't too far behind).
How many Prem quality players do Sheff Utd have in comparison to us ?
On question of organisation I have to agree unless players just don't get or can't implement the plans or are simply not good enough to carry out instructions.

I fail to understand when we have had a problem in defence all season, that with the coaching staff available we still have not seen any improvement in defensive organisation with the team. It is a massive black mark against DS, Terry and the coaches, and as we near March it is unlikely to get better.

Or maybe he's not intelligent enough to be a coach?

Great player he may have been but coaching (essentially teaching) requires intelligence and lets be honest before he came to us we all thought he was a thick as fcuk neanderthal. Just look at his parents.

Maybe this is why he lacks the confidence to be a manager and didn't do the same as Lampard and Gerrard. Maybe he knows he's out of his depth and not very good at it.

Hasn't it dawned on you that Gerard and Lampard are older, and spent several years building up to what they are doing now? JT is only in his second year since retiring from playing. He's probably still doing his coaching badges.

The fact that he was a highly acclaimed captain would indicate that he has something upstairs.

Reckon lack of organisation and workrate are the biggest problem tbh (altho quality isn't too far behind).
How many Prem quality players do Sheff Utd have in comparison to us ?
They were promoted with a proven squad of winners, we had a squad of 9(?)

I can see your point and as you say you are entitled to your opinions.
But referring to someone as a neanderthal and also referring to his parents is perhaps unnecessary.

Trouble is before he came here, most fans would have called him a thug, look at his background, I remember him pictured parking in a disabled spot (a few have been) which never reflected well.. etc

Since he has come, many/most have gone quiet about all that because he is 'one of ours'.

I get what you are saying, but can't argue with Dean, bloke isn't the nicest really.

Yeah I'm not a massive terry fan. He is a bit of a over the top alfa. He has made plenty of over the top alpha mistakes too. Granted he has not made one for a while so maybe he has matured a bit. But I swear I can lip read him singing Chelsea songs on the way to the dug out.

And I do have a paranoid thought that Terry would be tapping grealish up for chelsea behind the scenes too. Whispering sweet nothings into his ear. That might be me looking into it too much. But I dont trust JT.

Constraints? We were the 2nd biggest spending club in the Country. I'm sure there are loads of other managers in the Premier League who would give their right arm to work under those constraints.
And having to replace literally half the squad and more than half of the first team upon being promoted? Yeah, I'm sure that's any coach's dream-come-true.

What system do you play to stop Engels trying to control the ball with his heels when Son is running at him then?

Until McGinn is back we dont have the personnel to play 4-3-3. We only have one striker so we cant play 2 up front. What do you want from Dean?
I don't know why you keep using the Spurs game as an example when we've been a shambles at the back for most of the season, with or without Engels.

I don't know why you keep using the Spurs game as an example when we've been a shambles at the back for most of the season, with or without Engels.
Because it's a recent memory example of a time where we have been tactically superior against a superior quality side and have dropped points due to an individual error. Theres plenty more examples of games we have played incredibly well with lots of attacking intent and goals but cant keep premier league strikers out because of a lack of quality at the back.

Trouble is before he came here, most fans would have called him a thug, look at his background, I remember him pictured parking in a disabled spot (a few have been) which never reflected well.. etc

My only question is it once a thug always a thug? I've no dog in the fight but when was the last time he had bad press?

Honestly I'd rather he wasn't involved in the club or setup because I do think he is a prick but from a footballing perspective it is good he's involved. I also think there are areas where he isn't useful, he definitely has a conflict of interest and I am sure he's spoke to Frank about Grealish. Would I trust JT to not speak to Fat Frank about Grealish going to Chelsea? No. Would I trust JT in a 1v1 conversation about what he should do with his career? No.

Same really CDX, I've not dog in the fight (what an expression!) was just answering a post above really.

John terry is now in his 3rd season with us and we have got to Wembley in each of them, he's a winner and has played in teams with some very good players, engels, elmohamdy, guilbert, hause, Taylor are bang average along with hourianne, drinkwater, jota and trezugaet. We can only work with what we have and John terry and dean Smith are probably doing the best they can. I said 4th from bottom at the start of the season and stick by that if we achieve it we have done remarkably well, Watford, West ham and Bournemouth have recent experience of this league and I would argue have better squads.

I can see your point and as you say you are entitled to your opinions.
But referring to someone as a neanderthal and also referring to his parents is perhaps unnecessary.

His Dad got caught selling coke and his mom got caught shop lifting.

I don't think it's a massive stretch to suggest he's not the most intelligent bloke in the world given his family background?

There's certainly something not right. Best defender the Premier League has ever seen and yet he can't get a tune out of any of our defenders.... so you either blame all 6/7 of them or you blame the coaching.

Not just JT though as remember Smith was a defender too.

His Dad got caught selling coke and his mom got caught shop lifting.

I don't think it's a massive stretch to suggest he's not the most intelligent bloke in the world given his family background?

There's certainly something not right. Best defender the Premier League has ever seen and yet he can't get a tune out of any of our defenders.... so you either blame all 6/7 of them or you blame the coaching.

Not just JT though as remember Smith was a defender too.

Best defender the Premier League has ever seen...I think you've forgotten about Paul McGrath!!!!!!!!!!!!