Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 21 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

Yes I was agreeing with you. For me it was the single biggest mistake. Such an obvious signing that would have made a HUGE difference.

I brought up Cahill a few months ago and was told it was a no go. I can't remember the reason, but he was never going to join us.

Maybe someone else remembers?

The UK chief medical officer is now talking about the possibility of canceling all football matches in the UK if Coronavirus show any significant spread.
Could this be the thing that keeps us up if the season ends up being cancelled.

Too much money in the game for that to happen. It will be challenged by any club that has something to play for, they'll just extend the season or try pick it up again I reckon.

Too much money in the game for that to happen. It will be challenged by any club that has something to play for, they'll just extend the season or try pick it up again I reckon.
This Thursdays Inter Milan Europa League game to be played behind closed doors due to Coronavirus concerns.

Pretty sure the way the team is set up is down to Smith, all the way. And the training is run by O' Kelly in line with Smith's expectations. Totally a guess on my part, but I think JT is mainly coaching individual players.

JT has way more PL experience than Smith, O'Kelly and Cutler combined. I think he knows how the defence should be operating. But we're not seeing it. Smith wants the team playing his way. JT wouldn't have the CBs playing so far up the pitch they're easily bypassed.
Either terry isn't being listened to. Or he's saying nothing of importance anyway. Either way it just isn't working out.

I think we can get points from a few more games. All our home games are winnable if we play like we have in most of the home games this season.

Everyone is a bit miserable at the moment but I think most neutrals would agree we are good enough to stay up and deserve to based on our performances on the whole this season.
Not sure if most neutrals think we are good enough to stay up. Also most neutrals won't fancy our chances against manu wolves Sheff u arsenal and chelsea either.

It’s been a steady decline in results and resorting to 3 centre halves has taken us to the shocking low of letting in more goals than any other team in the league. Error stricken throughout its hard to pick a player apart from Jack that should be anywhere but the championship, which is where they are heading. That’s the reality. Yes, Trez, Jota and Ghazi but add to that the back 5, Luiz and in particular for me Average Nakamba.
The only hope is if Dean can think of something radical that comes off but otherwise we’re doomed.
Has a player ever had a more inappropriate name than 'marvellous' average Nakamba?

Why are we always so open?

Why are we always conceding chances?

Why do we never capitalise when the opposition go down to 10 men?

Why can we never hang on to leads?

Why have we only earnt 1 point against the top 10 sides this season, yet other teams in our situation find a way to be competitive against the better sides one way or another.

The answer is Dean Smith. Its not this player or that, its not the players we didn't sign that's making us so easy to score against and beat - its Dean Smith and the fact that he's well and truly out of his depth.

Worse he's stubbornly refusing to use the experience we've had so far to identify the bleeding obvious that you can't set up to play like Liverpool and Man Citeh without the players to match.

Unless he changes or is changed we will not win the games needed to survive and we'll keep on putting these pathetic performances on and miss the opportunity within our grasp to stay up.

Far, far too open Dean, please grow up and fucking sort it.

The answer is Dean Smith. Its not this player or that, its not the players we didn't sign that's making us so easy to score against and beat - its Dean Smith and the fact that he's well and truly out of his depth.

Worse he's stubbornly refusing to use the experience we've had so far to identify the bleeding obvious that you can't set up to play like Liverpool and Man Citeh without the players to match.

Unless he changes or is changed we will not win the games needed to survive and we'll keep on putting these pathetic performances on and miss the opportunity within our grasp to stay up.

Far, far too open Dean, please grow up and fucking sort it.

To my mind it is the players though. Smith’s bought players to play his way and they’ve been unable to do it at this level. They are not players that can suddenly turn into a defensive machine - our failure to tighten the defence with five at the back shows that.
He’d be better to surprise everyone and go all out attack with two strikers, four at the back and use what ever strengths the players actually have.

To my mind it is the players though. Smith’s bought players to play his way and they’ve been unable to do it at this level. They are not players that can suddenly turn into a defensive machine - our failure to tighten the defence with five at the back shows that.
He’d be better to surprise everyone and go all out attack with two strikers, four at the back and use what ever strengths the players actually have.

Ah you say 5 at the back and yes when most teams play a back 3 it usually is a 5 but ours tends to be a 3 with the two wing-backs pushed so far up and so wide they are neither use nor ornament

Or, and most likely, the players just aren’t good enough or intelligent enough to reproduce his ideas.

Or maybe he's not intelligent enough to be a coach?

Great player he may have been but coaching (essentially teaching) requires intelligence and lets be honest before he came to us we all thought he was a thick as fcuk neanderthal. Just look at his parents.

Maybe this is why he lacks the confidence to be a manager and didn't do the same as Lampard and Gerrard. Maybe he knows he's out of his depth and not very good at it.

Ah you say 5 at the back and yes when most teams play a back 3 it usually is a 5 but ours tends to be a 3 with the two wing-backs pushed so far up and so wide they are neither use nor ornament
Ha! That suggests you agree the 5 isn’t working (whoever they are on the field!) and we are sitting ducks now and have let more goals in than any other team. It’s a waste of a player further up the field. I have a feeling he might change it for Wembley and at least try to spring a surprise.