The Super League Discussion | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Super League Discussion

Greavsie I said exactly the same to Mrs PY last night whilst watching GN having his truly epic rant on tv, looks like I will be a Pompey fan if this all goes ahead.

Play up Pompeii Pompeii play up!!

Might be Norwich for me cos my daughter and 4 grandkids live up there so I can visit - takes less time than going into to london to see the YIDS and take my grandkids to a club that still has family values.....LETS BE HAVIN' YOU

The betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur

4/18/2021

Tottenham Hotspur was the first British club to win a European trophy. We blazed a trail that caught the imagination of fans everywhere. Yesterday, the current Board of THFC betrayed the Club, its history and the magic that makes this game so special when they put their name to a statement announcing the formation of a breakaway European Super League.

This statement, signed by self-appointed “leading clubs”, was put out late on a Sunday night. It was made not only after no consultation with supporters, but in the face of clearly stated opposition to key parts of the announcement.

We have always tried to maintain a pragmatic position of engagement with the Board of THFC, even under the most trying of circumstances. But enough is enough. The current Board is prepared to risk the Club’s reputation and its future in the opportunistic pursuit of greed. One of England’s most famous clubs could find itself expelled from English league competition. Its players could be banned from international competition. And yet the current owners – mere custodians of a 139-year-old institution – are prepared to risk it all for avarice and self-aggrandisement.

We demand the Board immediately disassociates itself from the breakaway league. Only then can meaningful discussions about change take place. If the Board does not do this, we will have no choice but to call on new owners prepared to safeguard the past, present and future of our great Club to step forward and work with us.

THST Board
19 April 2021

Spurs and Arsenal in a perennial relegation battle. Except they can't get relegated.

Why? We shouldn't confuse the strength of the Prem with playing against 20 teams across Europe. Let's see how 14 of them would do in the Prem.

If anything, it will pull us up to the level we should be playing at.

Talk about a ridiculous overreaction.

This league, for us, will replace all non-PL games only. As I said on page two of this thread it is a financial requirement for us because of the impact Covid, we need the money.

I'd rather spend mid-week watching us compete at a high level.

UEFA is indignant? Who gives a shit? They have their head so far up their own arses they can still breathe through their mouth.

FIFA banning players means they will lose player licensing control and fees. Ain't gonna last long.

FIFA banning players will see them lose control of the transfer market.

Competition is a good thing, evolution is a good thing.

I am SOOOOOO glad we are not on the outside looking in.

Talk about a ridiculous overreaction.

This league, for us, will replace all non-PL games only. As I said on page two of this thread it is a financial requirement for us because of the impact Covid, we need the money.

I'd rather spend mid-week watching us compete at a high level.

UEFA is indignant? Who gives a shit? They have their head so far up their own arses they can still breathe through their mouth.

FIFA banning players means they will lose player licensing control and fees. Ain't gonna last long.

FIFA banning players will see them lose control of the transfer market.

Competition is a good thing, evolution is a good thing.

I am SOOOOOO glad we are not on the outside looking in.

Good points all well made.

But the thought of no relegation/no winning your way into it, makes it stick in my throat, even if I do understand the financial imperatives.

Last edited:
Good points all well made.

By the thought of no relegation/no winning your way into it, make sit stick in my throat, even if I do understand the financial imperatives.

I agree with that but it means salary spending can be capped now. So it's one or the other. Promotion/relegation is one of the truly great things about the sports that use it. But look at the NFL, NBA and MLB. Their franchise values are stable and their merchandising is second to none.

The final will have Super Bowl quaiities. For better or worse.

We really are on the right side of this.

The bottom line based on the surface is that we will not play in the CL, League Cup, or Carabao Cup. That will open it up for a lot of other English teams.

And don't kid yourself, these games will sell out and probably have a different tier of ticket holders.

Here are three big questions.

Will we have an investor coming in?

Is Levy the man to lead this?

If he is, will he be removed from football operations?

Here are three big questions.

Will we have an investor coming in?

Is Levy the man to lead this?

If he is, will he be removed from football operations?

If you recall. I stated we'd been looking for investment, apparently, one significant group was found, to the tune of £800 mill, for 50% of the stock, I am told it was both for buying the shares in enic and direct investment into the club, the valuation is in direct line with its new financial projections.

I'm told that we will not relinquish control and that the new investors wanted a balanced board and an equal voice by means of equal voting rights and would not allow a new issue of shares that left a 'golden share in ENIC's hands'. That appears to have killed the deal stone dead.

Unless that changes, or a new structure thought up, investing in Spurs isn't the sort of proposition it should be.

Ha ha BBC news showed the breakaway 6 and then showed five clips of the clubs winning trophy celebrations apart from one of them........

Poch could be celebrating a CL win by the end of the week if the threat of expulsions by UEFA comes true! LOL!

Also, I'm bloody furious with Levy, all this heartache and arguing over Jose's piss poor performances and missing top 4 was for nothing! No wonder Levy looked so chilled about it all..:slap::thumbup:

Use of players as assets and leverage unacceptable, says FIFPRO
FIFPRO, the worldwide representative organisation for 65,000 professional footballers, has released a statement saying it will "vigorously oppose" any attempts to block players from representing their national teams.
"This decision leaves players and their unions with many concerns and questions about its impact not only on the fabric and cultural identity of football but also more practically on their careers. Football is built on its unique social and cultural heritage, which not only gives it an unparalleled relationship to its fans but also has created the engine to spread the professional game like no other sport," the group said. "For this to be sustained, a healthy and solidarity-based cooperation between domestic and international competitions is critical. A new competition undermining this might cause irreparable damage."
"It is important to note that European football’s arrival at this point of potential disruption is a reflection of a governance in which some have enjoyed disproportionate powers and most others including those at the heart of the game – the players but also fans – are largely overlooked."
"Threats of a breakaway competition and subsequent concessions to reform European football competitions have shaped decision-making for years. This dynamic has replaced transparent and inclusive discussions on the opportunities of competition reforms for all players, fans, clubs, leagues and federations," the group added.
"Players continue to be used as assets and leverage in these negotiations. This is unacceptable for FIFPRO, our 64 national player associations and the 60,000 players we represent. We will vigorously oppose measures by either side that would impede the rights of players, such as exclusion from their national teams."
"In the best interests of players, and the whole industry, we are committed to working with all stakeholders towards decisions that support all levels of the game and repair its existing flaws."

Due to the volume of games this endeavour will look more like the NBA than the NFL. It will be a long season of endless pointless games between some of the biggest "franchises" that are more or less meaningless until the last few of the season. Even as a big basketball fan I barely pay attention to it until the later rounds of the play offs.

The entire reason why the CL is appealing is because you don't get to play these teams that frequently.

The super league of course is the natural progression of where football has been going for several decades now. But it might be a step too far for me. Of course I will wait to see what the details are but this might be the last push I need to go and support my local Irish league team instead.

Play up Pompeii Pompeii play up!!

Might be Norwich for me cos my daughter and 4 grandkids live up there so I can visit - takes less time than going into to london to see the YIDS and take my grandkids to a club that still has family values.....LETS BE HAVIN' YOU
Go Canaries for you mate, my dear departed Dad n Grandad were Norwich fans.