The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 66 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

To me McGinn is having to play a more disciplined role than what he’d like, which stifles his asset which is the high energy, action packed game. Having to be more disciplined, keep shape and allow other players to play such as filling in at right back occasionally though exposes him a little as he’s a sloppy passer of the ball at times but worse for me, defensively he is actually a bit lazy and switches off.

The challenge for us is that we have Coutinho, Emi2 and Ramsey amongst others who want to be the more attacking midfielders. If we have SJM bombing out of position we are even more exposed through the middle of the park than we are already. It’s justified his game has had to change as he isn’t the creative spark or goalscorer we can afford to rely on in a more forward position.

I do like SJM, but he was outshone by Gallagher at the weekend in my opinion. He had a good spell towards the back end of last season and I thought had a couple of good games when Smith was around earlier on this season, but his consistency as a top player for us doesn’t show enough to warrant building a team to suit his preferences.

I wasn’t sure if this thread popped up because of a Tottenham link I’ve read about on the socials today. The Tottenham fans rate him, and Watkins. I guess fans need to be careful in terms of what I did above with Gallagher, but judging players on the one game they watch them when they play well is not a good sample size.

I wouldn’t be looking to get rid for the sake of it, if good money comes in for him however you’d have to look at it objectively.

Last edited:
It’s interesting to me how Luiz, Nakamba and Mings get slaughtered for their distribution but McGinn is probably the worst of the lot when it comes to a delivering a poorly executed pass which directly sets up the oppositions counter.

For me, out of all of our main midfield options (i.e Nakamba, Ramsay and Luiz) I rank McGinn as the worst player of the lot.

I know what you mean. I think Deano is right too. But we've all seen McGinn when he is super and I've never seen that from Doug.

To me McGinn is having to play a more disciplined role than what he’d like, which stifles his asset which is the high energy, action packed game. Having to be more disciplined, keep shape and allow other players to play such as filling in at right back occasionally though exposes him a little as he’s a sloppy passer of the ball at times but worse for me, defensively he is actually a bit lazy and switches off.

The challenge for us is that we have Coutinho, Emi2 and Ramsey amongst others who want to be the more attacking midfielders. If we have SJM bombing out of position we are even more exposed through the middle of the park than we are already. It’s justified his game has had to change as he isn’t the creative spark or goalscorer we can afford to rely on in a more forward position.

I do like SJM, but he was outshone by Gallagher at the weekend in my opinion. He had a good spell towards the back end of last season and I thought had a couple of good games when Smith was around earlier on this season, but his consistency as a top player for us doesn’t show enough to warrant building a team to suit his preferences.

I wasn’t sure if this thread popped up because of a Tottenham link I’ve read about on the socials today. The Tottenham rate him, and Watkins. I guess fans need to be careful in terms of what I did above with Gallagher, but judging players on the one game they watch them when they play well is not a good sample size.

I wouldn’t be looking to get rid for the sake of it, if good money comes in for him however you’d have to look at it objectively.

IMO, every player has their price. I don't think Spurs are shelling out over £100m to get McGinn and Watkins but if they are, we should take it.

McGinn's workrate seems to mask the fact his short passing has broken down our attacks or given the ball away to easily all season. I think this has been a quiet thread because we all know what we're going to get from McGinn these days but with a couple of exceptions this season he's not been very super. Average to middling in an average to middling team.

For the record, I think he's been great fun for us and he surprised me how well he stepped up to the PL but I think our ambition should be outstripping what he can do for us.

McGinn's workrate seems to mask the fact his short passing has broken down our attacks or given the ball away to easily all season. I think this has been a quiet thread because we all know what we're going to get from McGinn these days but with a couple of exceptions this season he's not been very super. Average to middling in an average to middling team.

For the record, I think he's been great fun for us and he surprised me how well he stepped up to the PL but I think our ambition should be outstripping what he can do for us.
He has really only been 'super' at the Championship level to be honest.

McGinn definitely tries to be more expansive with his passing and tries more risky passes rather than simple ones. Law of averages means he'll therefore get more wrong.

I wouldn't really want him becoming a crab though. His vision is brilliant and when he pulls it off he sets us in the front foot really well.

The maddening thing for me is he more often than not gets those Hollywood passes absolutely spot on, it's short passes he makes a mess of. If its not 5 yards behind the man its straight to the opposition. I really can't think of too many times he hits a long ball and it doesn't go to one of our players. Doing simple things fucking kills him, I don't know what it is, he tends to run into crowds rather than run into space. Which again somehow works out 75% of the time and opens up the game but the other 25% its suicidal.

He's a pure enigma. He's sort of like the midfield version of Mings in that I think we probably fall apart without his leadership. I believe rather surprisingly he has the most tackles and has the best % of tackles won by anybody in midfield. Its all consistency with him, when he is on song we usually control the game but when he isn't we really struggle. Its so hard to tell what is tactical and what is just John being John.

Yep Stats show him as the worst of our midfielders at passing and my eyes tell me the same. cocks up so many attacks with a sloppy easy pass that he doesn't get right. Makes up for it with work rate and rolling the odd mug that still hasn't sussed him.
I like SJM we al do but there comes a time where he can't be undroppable and now is that time if we are to move forwards.
As for playing him further forward why him and why not JJ who is head and shoulders a better forward player and still scores goals from deeper. We aren't short of attackers, are we? Might be short of quality attackers granted but SJM is not a quality forward is he

Indeed, he plays further up for Scotland, but would you put him in up top ahead of our other options?
Of course not people don't engage common sense when football is concerned, he's playing where he is because Coutinho and Buendia are better than him in that role.