The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 65 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

On the same page as you. Tell Cash to play right back and right back only, and tell SJM to own that right hand side of midfield.

McGinn is poor playing so deep, we know he’s a sloppy passer of the ball and his defensive radar isn’t always working for me.

He’s an all action player, he needs to be higher up being the next level of pressing after the forwards. He’s wasted sitting on the toes of the right back then looking up with the ball closer to our goal than the oppos, he’s also a bit suspect there too.

We all know what his strengths are , bombing forward into the box and scoring or having attempts on goal if we have players better than him doing that then fair enough but he is playing far too deep he isn't a playmaker and it isn't doing him or us any good at all.

McGinn on current form looks worth what we paid for him.

Just before SG arrived he was having his best spell of performance in this league, after a slow start and the injury. I love his character and mentality to how he plays the game as that all action player, but if he didn’t have that he’d be a good championship player which is what his current form is showing as he’s been penned back by the tactics

Just look at the difference when he plays for Scotland.

I personally think we the two number 10’s stifles his game. We’re building a team for two players who are practically identical as to how they play the game and where they play, except one is not far off world class and the other marmite (I personally think he’s decent).

SJM and Ramsey are there to make up the shape.

I personally think we the two number 10’s stifles his game. We’re building a team for two players who are practically identical as to how they play the game and where they play, except one is not far off world class and the other marmite (I personally think he’s decent).

SJM and Ramsey are there to make up the shape.

You can't say we'd be better off without a world-class player but it certainly looks like too many cooks. I also think for where we are in the league an all-action Emi might be more useful to us than Coutinho. However on the balance, you have to take Coutinho because he's world-class and Emi has to be content with the bench. We're crying out for pace we have absolutely none so for me Bailey should come next week. Ings gets another nod to start from me because he did the basics. Made space, controlled it, laid it off - Ollie that is all you need to do son!

The balance just isnt there right now to play both and I think we've a similar issue with Ramsey and McGinn. Only one can go forward because of how weak midfield is and I think that means sacrificing McGinn or trying him at DM.

Bumped.

Back to close to his standards last 2 games, strong, direct and involved. Also loved him blanking that urchin Dan James in the tunnel pre KO .

Nearly gave the ball away by taking needless touches on the edge of our box but got lucky by being fouled. 10yd passes behind players or made them pause their stride and lose forward momentum.

For the love of all that is fair bench him and start Sanson.

Awful for the vast majority if this game. There was one moment of brilliance first half where he danced through a ridiculous crowd of spurs players into the box but otherwise nothing. He looks like he's trying to curb his normal instincts to me.

5 weeks since anyone posted about SJM, has he become just part of the furniture? He no long influences games enough to even get a mention .
Should he still be playing 90 mins week after week?
I know some think he's better high up the pitch but that is never going to happen, now we are trying to shoehorn Coutinho Buendia Ings and Watkins into the same side.
I think he's played well enough lately but against Palace, he was ok and hence me thought what the point in him doing 90 every single game. He's take for granted and vis versa

5 weeks since anyone posted about SJM, has he become just part of the furniture? He no long influences games enough to even get a mention .
Should he still be playing 90 mins week after week?
I know some think he's better high up the pitch but that is never going to happen, now we are trying to shoehorn Coutinho Buendia Ings and Watkins into the same side.
I think he's played well enough lately but against Palace, he was ok and hence me thought what the point in him doing 90 every single game. He's take for granted and vis versa
I know some like to criticise him but I think he usually puts in a 6 or a 7 out of 10 performance, he’s very rarely the worst player or the one to blame for any results. The fact no one is commenting on his thread I think would back that view - he just ticks along with the job. If we want to push for a top 6 finish he’d perhaps have to make way for someone else, I think that’s always been the case, but we’re a long way off that at the moment, and if we sign a top quality defensive midfielder that might make the whole midfield look better, including McGinn.

I know some like to criticise him but I think he usually puts in a 6 or a 7 out of 10 performance, he’s very rarely the worst player or the one to blame for any results. The fact no one is commenting on his thread I think would back that view - he just ticks along with the job. If we want to push for a top 6 finish he’d perhaps have to make way for someone else, I think that’s always been the case, but we’re a long way off that at the moment, and if we sign a top quality defensive midfielder that might make the whole midfield look better, including McGinn.

This is what I'm saying he's become part of the furniture so of things, I will not dispute he is a 7-10 every week but we've stopped taking about him,
Nearly every other player gets flack or paradise but we never take about SJM unless he has a shocker

For me he's just the least of our problems.

He's definitely not git the heights of previous seasons but in general he's a 6 or 7 out of 10 most games. You could almost call him vanilla this season. Rarely has a shocker but rarely has a blinder either.

But when I look at the team / squad there's always 4 or 5 players who's backs I'd be on before McGinn's which probably explains why this thread is so quiet.

Hopefully with the right signings in the summer Mcginn will be one of our worst in 12 months time.... That would show the club is progressing.

It’s interesting to me how Luiz, Nakamba and Mings get slaughtered for their distribution but McGinn is probably the worst of the lot when it comes to a delivering a poorly executed pass which directly sets up the oppositions counter.

For me, out of all of our main midfield options (i.e Nakamba, Ramsay and Luiz) I rank McGinn as the worst player of the lot.