The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 43 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

I guess a captain should inspire others with performances and leadership skills on the pitch, I think the only player we have who appears to have that is Heaton. Heaton would be my pick for captain next season.

I agree that McGinn isn't captain material, he seems to go hiding in games too much for a player in his position. That said, it's not unknown for players to grow into that role and thrive with the added responsibility. But Heaton for me all day.

I've always felt that the central midfield position is the best place for a captain, if it's the right player (and no that's not just my Dennis Mortimer bias speaking). In fact, if you look at the last four trophies that Villa have won, it's been Mortimer, Richardson and Townsend captaining those teams. Even when we were cheated in 2010, it was another central midfielder (Petrov) captaining the team.... Having said that, whether McGinn is ready for that type of role, who knows....

He's just not up to speed at all. And because of that he is almost trying to hard. And because he is almost trying to hard it's just not clicking naturally for him.

Doesn't concern me one bit . He will be back to the SJM we know in good time. Hopefully be it will be with us.

Nowhere near himself really, even with recent improvements but I can't imagine for a second he hasn't been at DS's door demanding the starts to try and help.

Some may criticise DS for not being stronger there, but I'd say (never going to be £50m like the BS in the press) if anyone does try and tempt him at the end of the year, that bit of faith is a massive tick in the box for me - even if we go down.

He'll want to repay it.

Nowhere near himself really, even with recent improvements but I can't imagine for a second he hasn't been at DS's door demanding the starts to try and help.

Some may criticise DS for not being stronger there, but I'd say (never going to be £50m like the BS in the press) if anyone does try and tempt him at the end of the year, that bit of faith is a massive tick in the box for me - even if we go down.

He'll want to repay it.
Umh. Just waiting for Leicester to come in with some BS £15m bid at the end of the season Mike

From The Birmingham Live site

"Prior to lockdown we were due to play Chelsea on the Saturday," Smith explained. "John was fit to play and he was going to be on the bench, but then earlier in the week he started to feel his shin. We sent him for a scan and we found another stress fracture, which put him out for another six weeks.
"He didn't train during the lockdown but once we came back to small group training he was back. He's been playing catch-up and it's been very difficult. It can take a while to get back up to speed but he’s certainly getting there now."
McGinn has three games left to find his fitness - and while he is a key member of this Villa side, the team need him at his maverick best to pluck victories from Everton, Arsenal and West Ham

I'm all for playing him but we need to be ruthless with pulling him once he's run out of steam.

Athleticism is a major part of his game and he's no use when he's plodding around the pitch.
I think maybe his fitness isn't there but perhaps also wasn't quite up to scratch before the injury and therefore we need to improve our strength & conditioning coaching and facilities. I'm sure I read The Fear suggesting that the facilities at BMH weren't up to par.

Alternatively he might benefit from adapting his game in order to better preserve his energy over the 90.

I think maybe his fitness isn't there but perhaps also wasn't quite up to scratch before the injury and therefore we need to improve our strength & conditioning coaching and facilities. I'm sure I read The Fear suggesting that the facilities at BMH weren't up to par.

Alternatively he might benefit from adapting his game in order to better preserve his energy over the 90.

This is the same John McGinn people were joking about running to Wembley rather than going on the coach last May. The bloke rivals the Duracell bunny normally. He was playing while injured before he broke his ankle then it has now transpired he had a stress fracture of his shin, I don't think his stamina is in doubt

This is the same John McGinn people were joking about running to Wembley rather than going on the coach last May. The bloke rivals the Duracell bunny normally. He was playing while injured before he broke his ankle then it has now transpired he had a stress fracture of his shin, I don't think his stamina is in doubt

Yup. Reading that it's tribute to his natural fitness that he was able to play at all since the league restarted.

Yep.

Too many knee jerk reactions over this. He has been seriously injured. He needs time .