The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 35 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

End of March was the predicted time .

You never know , his super human powers might enable him to come back sooner

If he is back any time in march we're talking 8-5 games at the business end of the season. I sort of imagine him coming off the bench to help us over turn a two goal deficit sort of like at Birmingham away awhile ago.

I think he has had a mixed season to be honest but will nevertheless be a massive gain for us to have him back.

I think he has had a mixed season to be honest but will nevertheless be a massive gain for us to have him back.

I don't know what you mean by a mixed season. You mean some games he was brilliant and some games he was amazing?

Seriously though, he was playing through injury during that spell before he did his ankle when he wasn't totally dominating every position on the pitch.

I don't know what you mean by a mixed season. You mean some games he was brilliant and some games he was amazing?

Seriously though, he was playing through injury during that spell before he did his ankle when he wasn't totally dominating every position on the pitch.

He had some very good games and some fairly poor ones this season. For me his form dropped quite a bit after the Burnley home game. It's not clear to me how much the 'injury' drove the poor performances after this game or rather just finding the league a bit of a struggle at times, which is only natural for a player new to this level. I personally think it's a combination of both.

Ultimately he's an important player for us and has been seriously missed but I'm not going to act like he has been amazing for us all season because he hasn't. That's not finger pointing it's just being fair, it's hard to step up to this level and be extremely consistent, only Grealish has managed this but in so doing has exceeded all reasonable expectations fans had at the start of the season.

He had some very good games and some fairly poor ones this season. For me his form dropped quite a bit after the Burnley home game. It's not clear to me how much the 'injury' drove the poor performances after this game or rather just finding the league a bit of a struggle at times, which is only natural for a player new to this level. I personally think it's a combination of both.

Ultimately he's an important player for us and has been seriously missed but I'm not going to act like he has been amazing for us all season because he hasn't. That's not finger pointing it's just being fair, it's hard to step up to this level and be extremely consistent, only Grealish has managed this but in so doing has exceeded all reasonable expectations fans had at the start of the season.
So so important to get him back and have a second genuine threat on the pitch apart from Jack. Just imagining the damage Jack will do when the opposition can't just triple mark him.

So so important to get him back and have a second genuine threat on the pitch apart from Jack. Just imagining the damage Jack will do when the opposition can't just triple mark him.

IMO you're slightly off the mark.

We clearly don't have an issue socring goals and creating a problem but defensively we've got major issues.

McGinn was the watercarrier of the side. He is our Kante, I genuinely think having him and Grealish in the same team is like having an extra man but in different ways. Grealish gives you an extra attacker, McGinn gives you extra defender in midfield.

There is a strong correlation between goals conceded while he played and goals conceded when he hasnt. For gods sakes we've had to play an extra defender while he has been out and we still don't look capable of defending. The battle in midfield is lost in every game he hasnt played.

IMO you're slightly off the mark.

We clearly don't have an issue socring goals and creating a problem but defensively we've got major issues.

McGinn was the watercarrier of the side. He is our Kante, I genuinely think having him and Grealish in the same team is like having an extra man but in different ways. Grealish gives you an extra attacker, McGinn gives you extra defender in midfield.

There is a strong correlation between goals conceded while he played and goals conceded when he hasnt. For gods sakes we've had to play an extra defender while he has been out and we still don't look capable of defending. The battle in midfield is lost in every game he hasnt played.

Spot on. He has been sorely missed.

I hope the estimate of him being back in March wasn't the best case scenario.

I would keep Jack in that outside left forward position and SJM his mirror image on the right. He’s very dangerous just playing a bit wider on the right cutting in as he’s proven with Scotland and for us a few times I recall. I like it when he gets into the channel between left back and centre back, plus he can hold the ball up to get Freddy’s pace around him.

Also, if he cuts in and swings balls into Sammatta from that angle there’s always a chance it can end up in the far corner Ashley Young style.

El Ghazi and Freddy doesn’t quite work, El Ghazi is a luxury player whilst Freddy is a necessity due to Elmo being the only other option, so I think it could work well.

I don’t particularly want SJM putting his legs on the line, Marv and Luiz can do more of that, but equally he’s a midfield body if we need to get men behind the ball.

Apparently he's back running on grass today or tomorrow, and is hoping for a speedy recovery.

We have been absolutely robbed of him this season, he can't come back quick enough. Just hope he can get up to speed sooner rather than later, he might be difference in the end.

Chances are we will not see him back to his super powers this season. If he is not running yet then at least a month before he is ready to play and then getting back up to speed will be a few games. Mid april earliest before he is back up to speed and that is hope more than expectation.

Chances are we will not see him back to his super powers this season. If he is not running yet then at least a month before he is ready to play and then getting back up to speed will be a few games. Mid april earliest before he is back up to speed and that is hope more than expectation.

All the talk is the middle of March. Apparently he has been doing plenty in the pool and seeing how naturally fit he is anyway I think that is doable.

He willbe like a caged tiger on his return and the only worry I have is that he will have to rein himself in a bit.

Just hacked John McGinn's phone and noticed he has this saved in his Google Maps.

34 hours for a mere mortal, so if he jogs it will probably take him around 15 hours.

Gives him till around 2am Sunday morning to prove his fitness.

McGinn Route Planner.jpg