The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

I'm not meaning to rain on the parade here but I hope to god Bruce plays this kid right.

When we bought Hourihane I thought we were getting a real dynamic midfielder box to box type. The missing link. I have to confess that I didn't real know too much about him and I went by what I was told. I cannot complain about his goal rate but I remain generally unimpressed with his all round play. Too much safety first pass backwards or sideways when there is the opportunity to turn and progress with the ball at feet. I do not know if this is actually him as a player or he is told by Bruce to play like this.

Now, I know more about SJM and everything tells me he is dynamic, energetic, skillful and willing to progess the ball forward at pace.
So I wait with baited breath to see whether this style of his continues or my fears that Conor plays within himself and that is down to Bruce get confirmed.

I'm not meaning to rain on the parade here but I hope to god Bruce plays this kid right.

When we bought Hourihane I thought we were getting a real dynamic midfielder box to box type. The missing link. I have to confess that I didn't real know too much about him and I went by what I was told. I cannot complain about his goal rate but I remain generally unimpressed with his all round play. Too much safety first pass backwards or sideways when there is the opportunity to turn and progress with the ball at feet. I do not know if this is actually him as a player or he is told by Bruce to play like this.

Now, I know more about SJM and everything tells me he is dynamic, energetic, skillful and willing to progess the ball forward at pace.
So I wait with baited breath to see whether this style of his continues or my fears that Conor plays within himself and that is down to Bruce get confirmed.

Neil Lennon tried that with him once. His job was to man mark Scott Brown, win the ball and move it on..... it lasted about 5 minutes! He just wants to drive on, throw himself into challenges, make long cross field passes, get himself within shooting range. Lennon acknowledged he couldn’t curb the natural aggression and positivity (and quite frankly why would you want to). Bruce would be wasting his time trying. He’d need to drop him completely as he just can’t play any other way..

Bruce said today that mcginn is different to the midfielders he already has and I can't see him dropping whelan as I thought he was our best player Monday. I reckon hourihane will make way which is tough on him but there you go.

As I've had the pleasure of meeting Alex cropleys son and him telling a West brom fan that he didn't like them because they did his dad in I am a honoury hibs fan now.

I hope he starts tomorrow, my guess is he'll leave out Taylor and rejig his fullbacks so he can fit his favourites in plus SJM

Neil Lennon tried that with him once. His job was to man mark Scott Brown, win the ball and move it on..... it lasted about 5 minutes! He just wants to drive on, throw himself into challenges, make long cross field passes, get himself within shooting range. Lennon acknowledged he couldn’t curb the natural aggression and positivity (and quite frankly why would you want to). Bruce would be wasting his time trying. He’d need to drop him completely as he just can’t play any other way..

Man mark Scott Brown ffs a plastic traffic cone could mark that thug!

Assume Whelan will make way even though he was arguably MOTM at hull

Hourihane is the weak link, his goals get him out of jail, the rest of his game well, pants.
Too many anonymous games for me.
Whelan is the midfield hard man, that's his job, McGinn is a player a proper midfielder with a bit of everything including a left foot. Jack is simply the first name on the team sheet

Either Whelan or Jedi will need to play then .
Can't see Hourihane being dropped , think mcginn will be on bench

Have watched this guy for years on sky always loved him,willie Hamilton,Alec Cropley,des bremner and now John McGinn can’t wait to cheer him on.

Great chance for him to bring himself up with jack. Squad game now
Perhaps he can bring the best out of others

Willie Hamilton came from hibs.
Was sick all over Graham Lovett ‘s boots against Albion. I know wille’s brother was teaching me to drive st the time

Tuenzabe and mcgin will be regular 1st teamers but I would expect the same team as Monday with maybe the invisible man being swapped with Bjarnson on the left.

Well Mr Bruce, Yet again you have top players to play attacking football or do you stick with the style that cost us promotion last year?
With the squad we had we should of been pushing Wolves last year.
No excuse again this year but you are a nice Bloke.

We have to be in the top 4 after 10 games and really go for it. A lot will depend on what striker comes in as we only have one at the moment.