The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

It was 39 years ago that a certain Des Bremner joined AVFC from Hibernian. If John McGinn can replicate the sheer hard work, dedication, commitment and professionalism that Des showed in the five years he spent at the club I think we're all in for a treat. Different kind of player I know but by the sounds of it, the same kind of heart. Good luck John!

MOTM certainly. Involved in everything positive and at less than 3m looks a complete bargain. Really energetic, brilliant set piece delivery and never stopped running. Great start to his career in claret and blue.

He's a player that is very easy to like. I was thinking the other night about the days of N'Zogbia and co and even though under Bruce we will never play free flowing football at least he has put together a group of players that you can get behind.

Impresssed , looks athletic, strong and clearly can assist and shoot . Great signing, looks tough as old boots too, I'd put money on that he won't wear gloves in the winter

I love the way he makes decisions early. No pissing about, just commits and serves up the goods. Great crosses.

Thank god you said that, thought I was going mad with my long held view of this. We have a squad full of slow ball-moving players. If they don’t need a touch or two to get it’s under, some need another to then get it out of their feet and some just like to hold it for longer.

I was debating with some posters the other day about Whelan, I get what he offers - which I believe is very limited - I want a midfielder who can play driving our midfield forward to get the ball to our quality front line - not an out-and-out defensive midfielder who sits on our back 4 who can put the odd tackle in.

Lots of Villa fans and myself watched what we could of the game on the Hibs Supporters Club Facebook page who was streaming it so they could see how JM got on.

Now they really are "a great bunch of lads":cheers:

Seems to be a bit of mutual loving going on with Hibs and Villa fans on social media, fans of both sides planning on visiting the respective grounds for games.

Maybe Super John McGinn is actually the second coming of Jesus Christ :unsure:

For what we have paid he is a bargain. If we can find 3 loan signings with his energy and honesty we will be OK.
Good luck to hibs this season.

Lots of Villa fans and myself watched what we could of the game on the Hibs Supporters Club Facebook page who was streaming it so they could see how JM got on.

Now they really are "a great bunch of lads":cheers:

How did they manage to get a stream? My understanding was it wasn't being streamed anywhere.

How did they manage to get a stream? My understanding was it wasn't being streamed anywhere.

Facebook groups show streams most of the time, even if just somebody streaming the game from their laptop via phone. Still watchable. But the one on the Hibs fans page was proper, I think he was in San Marino or somewhere and might have bought the game today or however it works.

Yep. Had a good debut. Started well but then went quiet in the second part of first half. As did the whole team to be fair.
Noticeable how much energy he had in the latter stages of the game. Clearly a full pre season and already up and running with Hibs has been handy for us.

What I'm enjoying/finding encouraging is how highly pundits and players are talking about him. Pat Nevin on 5live earlier made a specific point of saying that he thought Mcginn was a gem and to quote 'EFL signing of the summer'.

Glad the debut seemed to go well. Only seen the goals so can’t really comment on the rest of his play. Judging by the majority of media and fan comments all seems to be going to plan. He’s certainly going to add the drive and power in midfield that’s been missing recently. In all fairness to Hourihane it was a cracking ball in for the winner. Possibly sees his place under threat more than anyone else and realises he needs to up his game? Onwards and upwards though. Ipswich away could be tricky but 7 points from the next 9 are more than possible. Dream start.... the performances will come in time. It’s little comfort being 20 points of the pace in January but knowing you played some good stuff and just got unlucky in August! I’d much rather not be able to string half a dozen passes together right now and be 10 points clear... I’ve got a good feeling about this season ?

MOTM for me by a nats hair over JG and for that shows his class .
Jack showed his love for his club buy playing his 120% as always to rubish the bull the papers were throwing out .
But J McGinn came out for his first game in claret and blue and played like a life long fan . I can only hope the lad improves as the season goes on.

Impressive debut all round. Particularly encouraged by his energy and awareness. Too often in games we can seem ponderous and more inclined to pass sideways, backwards. This lad gives us energy....wears me out just watching him. The kind of player we've not had for a long time. Delivery was excellent throughout as well. Really promising start.