The Summer transfers/rumours thread | Page 145 | Vital Football

The Summer transfers/rumours thread

I'm hoping next summer we'll have our pick of lots of centre backs, and not scrapping around for free transfers.

Not really worthwhile discussing targets for next summer.

I'm hoping next summer we'll have our pick of lots of centre backs, and not scrapping around for free transfers.

Not really worthwhile discussing targets for next summer.

Any manager worth the name would be deciding now which players he needs to get in, both in the January and summer windows.
A club can't go on relying on 6 or 7 loans every season, there's no stability that way. Surely it would be best to promote some of the U23's and let them gain the experience, rather than use loan players, who drain the financial pot.
Abraham for example, is reported to be earning £2,600,000 a year, thats £50,000 a week. Then theres the loan fee on top of that.
Paying out 6 or 7 loan fees and wages can't be good for FFP, or can it.

I assume we're paying nowhere near Abraham's reported wage. It would be crazy if we were. U23 loan signings should be more like £20k pw or even half that.

£20k a week is the average weekly pay in the championship McP, even though very few actually get near that amount. If the relegated clubs and the Villa were taken out of the mix, the weekly pay average would be closer to £12/13k.

So, it appears that there will not be any incoming CB/s to paper over the cracks and Bruce says we have enough cover there in Tuanzebe, Bree and Milanek (who has already proved he can't)........ no doubt he'll be there again today.

And Bruce says he's knows what he's doing......FFS!!!!

Spot on. Just read Villa have never won with Jedinak playing CB. Ridiculous situation.

So, it appears that there will not be any incoming CB/s to paper over the cracks and Bruce says we have enough cover there in Tuanzebe, Bree and Milanek (who has already proved he can't)........ no doubt he'll be there again today.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/steve-bruce-provides-aston-villa-update-on-problem-position/

And Bruce says he's knows what he's doing......FFS!!!!

Think somebody needs to remind him that "Keep right on to the end of the road" belongs to the great unwashed at the Sty.

I thought the 2 week international break would see us get someone in, if we lose today, no, if we don’t win he must go.

The game against QPR at the end of October will be the 15th of this season.
Bruce asked for 15 games before he's judged and I can't, for the life of me, see how he can turn things around, especially defensively, in the time available without signing at least one centreback.
The only thing I can think of, is that he's hoping that Abraham, Kodjia and Bolasie can make a free-scoring team and score 3 or 4+ goals a game.

With the new owners preferring to buy younger players than Bruces normal 33 and 34 year olds, I can't really see him surviving too long, maybe until the end of October as I've suggested elsewhere.
If we get a new manager in at the beginning of November, he'll have time to assess our younger players and decide which players he wants rid of and which players he wants to bring in.
When it comes to bringing players in, I for one hope he just doesn't go for a name but, has a system of play and gets players who fit into that system.

With the new owners preferring to buy younger players than Bruces normal 33 and 34 year olds, I can't really see him surviving too long, maybe until the end of October as I've suggested elsewhere.
If we get a new manager in at the beginning of November, he'll have time to assess our younger players and decide which players he wants rid of and which players he wants to bring in.
When it comes to bringing players in, I for one hope he just doesn't go for a name but, has a system of play and gets players who fit into that system.

Just said as much on the Steve Bruce thread. There's a lot to do to get the details right. But with not bringing back JT it already looks as they they're determined on a different direction.

One positive is that the transfers in have generally been good, in fact overall we have a good squad, if unbalanced.

Just said as much on the Steve Bruce thread. There's a lot to do to get the details right. But with not bringing back JT it already looks as they they're determined on a different direction.

One positive is that the transfers in have generally been good, in fact overall we have a good squad, if unbalanced.

Great minds McP.
McGinn looks a good signing.
I have high hopes of El Ghazi.
With a half decent defence in front of him, I think Nyland could become a really good signing.
I am unconvinced with Tuanzebe at the moment.
Moreira, could go either way, haven't seen enough of him yet.
Bolasie and Abraham are names and have in the past proved themselves more than capable at this level.
Bolasie has been out for a year with an injury that could have been career ending, so it is unknown whether he can become the player he was, again.
Abraham played at a higher level last season and wasn't as prolific as in his championship season. That could be because last seasons team played a different system to his championship team. The question is, will he fit into the way Bruce sets up the team to play, or will he go the way of our other strikers and dry up goalwise.

This is interesting, Caulker is 26 years old so therefore would fit the profile of the new owners in terms of age. However he has had severe difficultly with depression. We are talking catastrophic, not just career ending but also life threatening. After taking the football world by storm in his formative years playing for Spurs and in turn England (Only one cap but a scoring debut) and representing GB at the Olympics, he had a fallout with Levy. Levy stated that he would never be successful away from Spurs. As he was only a young man and at the time, by his own admission immature. Instead of getting his head down at Spurs he took at as a challenge and sought a transfer away. This ultimately became his downfall.. Although he still showed immense talent he was on the slippery slope and depression took a grip. Alcohol and gambling became his coping mechanisms and there were reports of trouble and violence on nights out. He would wake up in police cells having no recollection of his nights antics. Self loathing then followed as he struggled to break the cycle. While at QPR he found himself on the receiving end of a 4-0 drubbing against Spurs at White Hart lane with Levy in attendance and his words still ensconced in Caulkers mind. He eventually took a year out and sought help with all his vices. He's recently has a successful spell at Dundee and his recovery so far seems promising as Dundee wanted to offer him a contact, but he has decided to seek a bigger challenge.

We all witnessed how depression affected Stan Collymore during his time with the club as an example. Flashes of brilliance but he never lived up to his Forest or indeed latterly Liverpool days. Ultimately this would be a gamble with Caulker but he is immensely talented. Whether he can overcome his physiological demons remains to be seen. If he can then this could we be the solution we are looking for. Might very well look at getting him in on trial basis and taking it from there.