The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 321 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ins: Emiliano Buendia (Norwich), Ashley Young (Inter Milan), Josh Feeney (Fleetwood Town), Finn Azaz (West Brom), Tim Iroegbunam (West Brom), Leon Bailey (Bayer Leverkusen), Danny Ings (Southampton), Axel Tuanzebe (Man Utd, loan), Caleb Chukwuemeka (Northampton)

Outs: Ahmed El Mohamady (released), Neil Taylor (released), Tom Heaton (Man Utd), Lewis Brunt (released), Brad Burton (released), Jack Clarke (released), Charlie Farr (released), Ben Guy (released), Callum Rowe (released), Harrison Sohna (released), Michael Tait (released), Jake Walker (released), Bjorn Engels (Royal Antwerp) Indiana Vassilev (Inter Miami, loan), Lovre Kalinic (Hajduk Split, loan), Seb Revan (Grimsby Town, loan) Kaine Kesler Hayden (Swindon Town, loan), Jack Grealish (Man City), Louie Barry (Ipswich, loan), Brad Young (Carlisle United, loan), Tyreik Wright (Salford, loan), Arjan Raikhy (Stockport County, loan), Wesley (Club Brugge, loan), Conor Hourihane (Sheff Utd, loan), Dominic Revan (Northampton Town, loan), Frederic Guilbert (Strasbourg, loan), Mungo Bridge (FC Annecy, loan)

I disagree there. The following players if they are consistent in their form would be of interest to Eruopean sides - Martinez, Konsa, Targett, Mings, Watkins.

Don't forget we had potentially the meanest defence in the league last year. If we had better attacking players we'd have conceded less.

I could easily see Manure having a panic and getting Mings in. Konsa won't be ignored forever either. Would you rather have Konsa or White?
I don't think European sides really sign English players, especially from PL sides as they can't afford the wages.
I was talking about clubs bigger than Villa

I don't disagree but given so many on here predicted 5th-8th I think there could be a lot of disappointment. I'd absolutely take 10th right now.

I think if we'd kept Jack and built around him the top 8 would have been the target, but there's no getting away from the fact his departure set us back a little.

For me now, if we can improve on last seasons placing by being more of a team and less reliant on one player, and also knowing we're fully FFP neutral and able to spend big next summer, while giving the kids lots of minutes then that's a big step forward.

Panic buys, really? We've strengthened in three places we absolutely needed to - up front, out wide and creation through the middle - plus in Young we've excellent cover for both full back positions and decent cover for a couple other positions at a push.

What about them says panic?

No. Lost in translation. I didn't mean they are panic buys per se. I meant that if we left their purchases until late in the window timing wise they could be perceived as panic last minute fcuk we need anyone in type purchases.

Last edited:
I don't think European sides really sign English players, especially from PL sides as they can't afford the wages.
I was talking about clubs bigger than Villa
I was talking more about teams in Europe (chump league, Europa) not European teams. Think any of those that I mentioned would be susceptible to being snapped up by the Manures, Leicesters of this world.

Have we strengthened the squad and rounded it out far better - 100% yes.

Are we now at least 6 months behind where we were - 100% yes.

Did the signings excite - yes.

Has this padded the squad out in the way DS constantly stuck to saying - 50% no for me.

5-8th now - not a Scooby on crack and heat.

8-14th depending on when and how long it takes the newbies to find a proper groove and consistency.

Massively, massively disappointed and underwhelmed but yay we made a bit of profit. Won't count for shit if we drop in the table compared to the merit money that could've been on offer this year.

Sanson is better when played further forward, as is McGinn and believe it or not Luiz.
With 2 fullbacks who like getting up the pitch, a real DM would have proved a wise purchase.
We are at first sight somewhat kind of overloaded in the forward/midfield attacking kind of positions.

I was annoyed yesterday that we didn't sign a CDM.

But thinking about it, Doug, Sanson and Mcginn (10), for me would be a very good midfield. If, of course, Smith plays that formation.

If Sanson and Doug play together as the two deeper midfielders, then we've got some serious passing and creative talent.

Plus, who needs a CDM, when Buendia, Watkins, Ings, Bailey, Traore, Chuk, Ramsey, AEG and JPB are pinning you back all game.....
Did you go to the Osvaldo Ardiles school of management. He tried the "7 attackers" at Spurs without much success :lol:

Think Sanson is the key to all of this. If he’s a waste of space then we’re in trouble, if he gets fit and starts to prove why he was such a priority target last year then all of a sudden the midfield picture looks completely different. At the moment he’s a complete unknown quantity to us whether he has the quality for the PL, and indeed whether he will ever be fit enough. So far his lack of availability has been a major disappointment to be honest so it’s up to him to prove his worth here and to make up for lost time.

Caught up on the thread and boy, what a bunch of pessimists. For us to make an informed judgement of our final position, we need to see the first team play together. I'd say we won't have a clear picture until 10 games in.

The positives are the youngsters who have the potential to break through. They'll get some game time, they'll be around the first team and they'll be all the better for it next season and the season after. So for my tuppence worth, we've covered the gap created by the sale of one Jack Peter Grealish, predominantly with Leon Bailey (you can't play three new players in Jack's position), we have improved the overall squad and now potentially have some game changers on the bench. We have options for formations, and in Danny Ings, have a quality centre forward who can take the burden off Ollie Watkins.

I'm generally happy, don't see why we can't push for 8th this season (5th was always a struggle), but I'm looking at the longer term - a financially stable club with a thriving youth team (don't underestimate the win against Wycombe by the U21's). We have wriggle room for January, and I bet they are looking at options right now.

This isn't a supersonic rise to global supremacy, this is a sustainable, targeted approach to incremental improvement. Jacks gone, get over it, focus on what we have and be glad we've got a team to support because three years ago we nearly didn't and Jack would definitely have been sold for £3m. I'm personally chuffed to bits we're arguing over a top half finish in the premier league and not the survival of the greatest name in football's very existence. I wonder what Arsenal or Barcelona fans are discussing :hmmm:

I haven't seen Bailey yet but Buendia I'm already thinking "where is he playing", is he another one of those players you have to build your team around to be effective or play like Norwich.
He's not a striker he's certainly not a winger WTF is he. He was one of two no8's at Norwich, we play with a front 3 or one depending on how you look at it.
Could be another Ross Mac , but one that can open his own gates. By that I mean nobody could fit him into their team.
which brings me to how do you fit in Ings and Watkins together.
It seems a mish mash of players, rather than a plan

I know what you mean but I think Ings and Watkins bring different things to the table. Watkins can play off the wing. It gives us options rather than just making like for like substitutions.

Can't tell, as Merd and Thomas Holte have said, until the squad are fit and have had time to play. Then we can judge.

I'm in a minority, not sorry to see the back of the lad who left, I think he has a danger of burning out with his hype and what not, and £100m has put us in a seriously good position fair play rules wise, if we need to buy again in Jan, if this manager has enough to succeed for us this season OR if another comes in for next summer.

Now.

I think we have a mighty fine goalkeeper.

Our defence is stronger with Axl, albeit I do wish that was a purchase not a loan, I don't really see it as building having loans. But with Hause, Mings, and my favourite of them all Konsa, that is a solid central defense that short of real bad luck, has cover for injuries. Full backs, we will see, Cash needs to push on and being young can/hopefully will, Target if he plays like last season, all good. Ash brings in experience there also.

Buendia, as I keep saying, I have massive hopes for. I think he has the potential to have far better stats than the guy who left ever had. Hope that proves to be right. I think he could be magic for us. Fingers crossed.

Bailey I knew nothing of, but his cameo v Watford, made him look like he belonged in the PL and obviously same as all of you, have watched a few highlights and read a few articles. Big fingers crossed on this one.

Sanson coming back from injury, he's never had a chance to impress as yet with us, hopefully he can (and yes, that is then like a new signing!)

I think bringing in Ings is genius. And i think him and Ollie can easily play together, Ollie often goes wide for the ball anyway.

Were they coming in anyway? I think so. I have no itk on that, but our lot don't appear to want to stand still. I think that Christian Purslow's video announcement of the departure of the lad who left, was all good, nice to make it clear the lad wanted out (my club, my city, my heart, can I go now) and that they put in the clause to make the most of him/didn't expect him to go for that. The only bit I'd criticise was it sounded clumsy that we'd bought three to replace him. But all in all, I was glad for the statement and how pissed off he looked at the exit.

So that might have set us back. BUT he was being marked out of games, he was getting worse and worse for the 'professional' foul bollox, and I like the fact we look like we want to stay on our feet and play now. We were over reliant, now we aren't. Buendia has already showed he can set up goals, and score goals. Ings is a proven goalscorer. If Bailey is half as good as he looked v Watford in his short stint, then I think we have had a blinder of a transfer window.

I am sure they would perhaps have liked a central mid, but as others have said, looks like they are more realistic now, if they can't get who would improve us, then wait until they can.

Have we been set back? I hope not actually. If the manager doesn't equal or better last season, then I would guess he might well face the chop. It is a results game. If we break into the top 10 this season, then I would say this summer has been fairly successful. If Sanson can come good, or Luiz can push on then the mid is decent.

Looking forward to seeing how we do, hoping we can up our tempo and urgency... over to the management team and the players.

COME ON YOU VILLA BOYS

What stood out in the Walsall game for me was Buendia's killer pass for Ollie, which Ollie read to perfection. It's that sort of thing which we've been missing. There's a lot of good things this summer, from very positive signings to exciting kids coming through. Looking forwards to the season.

Reckon Dean has much more of the sort of team he wants. His instincts are to attack. Last season we needed snake2, and early on Barkley, to build attacks, and struggled without them. I think we may have solved the problem.

What stood out in the Walsall game for me was Buendia's killer pass for Ollie, which Ollie read to perfection. It's that sort of thing which we've been missing. There's a lot of good things this summer, from very positive signings to exciting kids coming through. Looking forwards to the season.

Reckon Dean has much more of the sort of team he wants. His instincts are to attack. Last season we needed snake2, and early on Barkley, to build attacks, and struggled without them. I think we may have solved the problem.
Let's put it this way if you gave Dean the choice of keeping JG and adding one of the 3 players he had brought in to replace him I'm sure he'd have kept JG and one other.

I think if we make those signings late in the window there would (correctly) be noises of panic buys. It would be worse.
Agree with that. It wasn't so long ago that all of our signings were being made at the end of the window. Makes for an "exciting" last few days of the window, but in my mind, the better clubs get most of their business done early. It demonstrates a level of organization/professionalism and also shows that we aren't desperately picking up the leftovers that nobody else wanted.....

Status
Not open for further replies.