The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 117 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly physicality, but you do need to be a top athlete in the PL. That's why our new conditioning centre was built. You need to be able to move fast and keep it up throughout the game. SJM said he was shocked at how demanding the PL was.

Yes absolutely agree. But don’t believe the physicality being spoken about was that . More the big muscled lump you get in the lower leagues .

It helps but it's not the be all and end all. Not everyone will necessarily have to tick that box. When you refer to "top" players and I look at the Everton signings, apart from Rodriguez I'm stumped to know who you are talking about.

By top I was referring to players that would be deemed good enough to play for a top 6 side that MD was saying we should be going for instead of the Buendias of this world.

The only measure I have now, is we need players who can slot straight into the team. We have young and learning, we have a few who fill the squad and provide cover, now we need the quality good enough to replace some of the first team regulars or give them a run for their money.

And of course, if the chance comes along for a good, up and coming, prospect, then that isn't to be sniffed at either.

It is all about a blend really isn't it? But we now surely have to be looking at the more expensive end of the transfer market, for players that aren't simply punts/prospects.

Personally, I think Buendia will go to Arsenal give the choice, he'll see them as the bigger club, as I would imagine would all players who are not Villa fans

Think back to Purslow’s remarks about needing to be in the PL for 3-4 seasons before we could pay the big wages.

It‘s all very well saying this players great or crap, but we’re still transitioning. Didn’t go into last season thinking “wow, we’ll tear up the league” but was pleasantly surprised at how well the new players performed. We will buy younger players on lower wages with potential and a Buendia type fits that player profile.

For the money being touted (£40m !!) the risks outweigh the potential upside for me. I'd rather we actually used our scouting network to unearth a gem. We did it with McGinn . Or promote Chucky

So you don’t want Buendia, because you mistakenly label him as unproven, but you want to go take a risk and try to sign some ‘hidden gem’ who is likely to be, yes you got it - unproven 🤦‍♂️

You’re not making any sense, put the pipe down 😄

Marg
As is often said "I won't believe it till he's holding up a a scarf at Villa Park". If the speculation is true I won't be too disappointed nor massively excited.

Buendia isn't the big "marquee" signing that many, including myself were hoping for. Though perhaps that will still come. He did well for a crap side in the Premier league and was the man in the championship last season. What we will need him to do is a level or 2 above that though. However just as Grealish would be even better at a man city with better players around him so Buendia will be better with Grealish, Ollie, Mcginn and whoever else we might sign around him.

What I do like (if this isn't bollocks obviously) is that we're acting decisively. We want a player. We've gone out and got him.

Marguee signings by definition are expensive and risky. The main question, for me, is: is he likely to strengthen the team? From what I've seen, the answer is yes. If the price goes much higher though, then atwhat level is Primerie, or whatever his name is, from Sandwell the better option?

Marg

Marguee signings by definition are expensive and risky. The main question, for me, is: is he likely to strengthen the team? From what I've seen, the answer is yes. If the price goes much higher though, then atwhat level is Primerie, or whatever his name is, from Sandwell the better option?

Marquee signing or not there is always a risk and we have countless examples of that. I am by no means saying we should not attempt to sign a player worthy of a top 6 side but just that I do not see a convincing reason for such a player to want to sign for us yet. No harm in trying. If we get Buendia, we should piss Arsenal fans off even more by putting in bids for Saka and ESR.

I think fees have gone crazy in the last few years anyway, Watkins fee including add ons will be around 33m for a player who had never played in the Premier league. Uf he's the player the manager wants and we can afford him then I say get him.

Now let's get another attacker and complete the trio behind Ollie.
I think we need to replace the 3 who left first. Plus another CB

Status
Not open for further replies.