The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
McGinn is good at twatting the ball cross field but cannot for the life of him play a meaningful forward pass that puts an attacker in.

Always amazes me how people watching the same thing can have two such differing opinions.

After Jack I'd say Mcginn is our best at seeing gaps and playing a clever little pass through the channels to slip in a striker. Think he's very good at it.

Always amazes me how people watching the same thing can have two such differing opinions.

After Jack I'd say Mcginn is our best at seeing gaps and playing a clever little pass through the channels to slip in a striker. Think he's very good at it.
If he's the second best at seeing gaps then it underscores why we need better quality at that. His industry and endeavour is good and that's his optimal function in the team IMO.

Agree to disagree. I think he'd by far our best centre mid.

Too early to judge Ramsey or Sanson, but not seen much to get excited about yet.

When comparing McGinn against Luiz, Nakamba and Barkley he's head and shoulders for me.

It's the Delph situation all over again though... @The Fear always used to say Delph was our best midfielder, but should be our worst... i.e. we needed to improve around him to progress.

Same goes for McGinn now I think.

Agree to disagree. I think he'd by far our best centre mid.

Too early to judge Ramsey or Sanson, but not seen much to get excited about yet.

When comparing McGinn against Luiz, Nakamba and Barkley he's head and shoulders for me.

It's the Delph situation all over again though... @The Fear always used to say Delph was our best midfielder, but should be our worst... i.e. we needed to improve around him to progress.

Same goes for McGinn now I think.
kind of agree, McGinn i thought would kick on this season and hasn't , i do appreciate he does a lot of unnoticed grunt work though. In terms of killer balls through the defence , can't think of many - Fulham away

@Pangloss points something that is actually backed up by statistics and I know people hate them because they're not applied contextually but we have a contextual position here.

McGinn does very little to progress the ball when he has it. His passing and dribbling don't contribute to our attack in a meaningful way. Pangloss has observed it, as have I and thats the reality. Now can you say the same thing for Marv, absolutely but I dont think you can say the same for Luiz.

IMO Luiz and McGinn are about the same level but vastly different skillsets. Sanson will eventually show his quality as well Ramsey.

I love McGinn, he is excellent for 70% of matches because we absolutely need his battle but when you're 0-0 or 0-1 down against Burnley, Sheffield or Palace he's going to do absolutely nothing. I think its a two fold issue (a) he is playing a different role and (b) the man is clearly not in form and/or is fatigued. I genuinely feel any of our midfielders could have contributed as much or more than him in the last 6 games.

Not for me. Zaha is at Palace for a reason. He has temperament issues. He's had a big move in the past and failed spectacularly.

Playing with fire is how I'd describe a move for him. Could dovetail perfectly into our team or cause strife. However I think the latter is unlikely given the makeup of the squad. Assuming we retain Martinez, Mings and Grealish and even Terry in the backroom staff he'll either fall in line or form a new one man bomb squad.

McGinn's problem is that if anything he works too hard, and runs into dead-ends because nobody's kept up. We were better earlier in the season; maybe we're getting a bit tired, no matter what DS says. We can play fast attacking football, but we haven't done it really since the Covid layoff.

At least by the summer we should see how Sanson is turning out. Hopefully he'll give us options.

@Pangloss points something that is actually backed up by statistics and I know people hate them because they're not applied contextually but we have a contextual position here.

McGinn does very little to progress the ball when he has it. His passing and dribbling don't contribute to our attack in a meaningful way. Pangloss has observed it, as have I and thats the reality. Now can you say the same thing for Marv, absolutely but I dont think you can say the same for Luiz.

IMO Luiz and McGinn are about the same level but vastly different skillsets. Sanson will eventually show his quality as well Ramsey.

I love McGinn, he is excellent for 70% of matches because we absolutely need his battle but when you're 0-0 or 0-1 down against Burnley, Sheffield or Palace he's going to do absolutely nothing. I think its a two fold issue (a) he is playing a different role and (b) the man is clearly not in form and/or is fatigued. I genuinely feel any of our midfielders could have contributed as much or more than him in the last 6 games.
Let's not forget that McGinn's attacking output was hardly amazing at the championship level. He's a high energy in your face rough and tumble sort of player. His technical ability is pretty average and he certainly gets a nose bleed in the number 10 position, I cannot remember him playing a well weighted defence splitting pass through the middle to Watkins all season. His passing range is more cross field and a decent lifted one round the corner which will generally get Watkins in down the left.

The way I see it is that he's decent but not irreplaceable. We lack creativity in the centre and if Sanson is a good player then McGinn will find himself out of the team next season.

Could we get Ward-Prowse?
For an ambitious player we have better long term prospects than Southampton do & I don't think the Sky 6 will be in for him so he could be interested.
We really need a player who can take a set piece and he is the very best + he's a decent all round player too.
On the Eduardo rumours [unlikely I think] we could offer Wesley [subsidised wages would appeal to Celtic] or Davis on loan. Either would benefit from getting some goals on their CV and up their confidence and there should be plenty of chances on offer for a Celtic striker.

Could we get Ward-Prowse?
For an ambitious player we have better long term prospects than Southampton do & I don't think the Sky 6 will be in for him so he could be interested.
We really need a player who can take a set piece and he is the very best + he's a decent all round player too.
On the Eduardo rumours [unlikely I think] we could offer Wesley [subsidised wages would appeal to Celtic] or Davis on loan. Either would benefit from getting some goals on their CV and up their confidence and there should be plenty of chances on offer for a Celtic striker.

I mentioned getting Ward prows in the summer but it fell of deaf ears on here , plus he's just signed a 5 year deal

If we buy a player purely because he is good at set pieces then the recruitment team and Deano are on the wrong path. And let’s face it elite clubs don’t do that so thankfully that is out of the question. And we have spent the last 4 years discussing Hourihane‘s set piece merit v overall contribution and I can’t face that again!. It’s not special team NFL.
We might be of a certain level still but we still need to show ambition and David Prowse or whatever his name is would be massively underwhelming.

Last edited:
He’s completely mediocre apart from scoring from free kicks, might as well bring Hourihane back

Ah but I mentioned him before he became some sort of super free-kick taker which has happened a few time this season, He has a lot more to his game than freekicks, we have signed Morgan Sanson since then who is a similar player but doesn't have the free-kicks or set-piece delivery. Well he might have if he ever. plays.

Just reading Chelsea could be looking to offload Timo Werner already.

Now that would be a statement signing! £45 million would probably get him (Think he was signed for £52 mill), so not out of our price range I don't think.

I think there's a cracking little player in there. I think his main problem at Chelsea is he's being played as a 9 and their main threat. I think he'd thrive as a 10, playing just behind Watkins. He'd certainly be a better shout than Barkley.

Might well be pie i the sky dreamland stuff, but if we're serious about becoming a force again then we're going to have to push ourselves to buy players considered out of our range.

Interesting theory. Werner certainly isn't cut out for elite level football, hence he has been a flop at Chelsea and he was disgraceful at the world cup in 2018. But his record at Leipzig shows he is good enough for the level below. Would be an interesting signing but certainly a very expensive one. Grealish, Werner and Watkins as a fluid front three could deliver for us.

Interesting theory. Werner certainly isn't cut out for elite level football, hence he has been a flop at Chelsea and he was disgraceful at the world cup in 2018. But his record at Leipzig shows he is good enough for the level below. Would be an interesting signing but certainly a very expensive one. Grealish, Werner and Watkins as a fluid front three could deliver for us.

Salah was a flop at Chelsea.

Some players just take a bit longer to grow into English football.

Status
Not open for further replies.