The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is amazing how the fortunes of the club have changed in a couple of years with Wes and Nas in charge. In the past with Deadly and Lerner in charge we would be talking about who would be leaving and how we would miss them - Yorke, Barry, Benteke etc. Now we are confident of holding on to our players and how we will strengthen our squad as well. We are not a selĺng club any more.

I'm sure I read that Edourd was practically a done deal for Leicester. The Rogers/Celtic connection.

This is upsetting (trigger warning)...but i think every club needs to be a selling club in a ffp world.

We are not going to be able to compete with teams that regularly get champions league because their income is boosted massively, so we need to be smarter and less sentimental.

We need buy low and sell high if we plan on ascending, otherwise we’ll end up offering inflated contracts, stagnating, then needing to hit the reset button.

Unless we are confident that we can get to the holy land that is the champions league in the next 2 years then we should be looking to sell players at or close to peek value.

We either push hard and ride the Jack Grealish train all the way to top 4, or we look for a more sustainable and long term future. This summer will tell us which of these options our owners will go for. If it’s the later, then we should really be considering selling Konsa for what would be a considerable profit.

Having said that, i’d be extremely surprise if anyone comes close to matching the fee that would be required to shift him (50+mil would be my guess).

I’d much rather be talking about a push for trophies and long term club legends, but this is the world of ffp.

Players are assets. Those whose value increases aren't just financial assets; their increase in value also represents what the player is worth to the club as a player. It's a mistake to sell your assets unless you can use the money to buy even better quality assets. Otherwise you're in a downwards spiral.

The owners' approach is to buy promising players at average prices and develop them. You buy them to develop the team, not sell them (unless there is an advantage, see above).

So far I'd say the owners have got it spot on.

I have a blog where I wrote about player valuations and for me it goes back to what the player is worth to the selling club. That's all that matters really. The TV deal as well as years served in the EPL has given some clubs a lot of leverage. IMO half the clubs can base their player's valuation relative to the danger of relegation.

Burnley selling Tarkowski puts them at an existential threat hence the 50MM value, plus the Maguire valuation adds another layer of complexity to it for CBs. Palace with Zaha is another, IMO solely based on the factor they'd be relegation fodder without him and would need at least 50MM-80MM to get an expensive player in to replace him and a little padding in case they did go down.

Our valuation of Grealish is more dynamic now. Last year you'd say relegation plus the loss of future revenue put him at 80MM. Now we're currently in the chasing pack so you can tag another 20MM-40MM easily plus his output has increased. That type of valuation prices him out of a sale because at that value any team buying him would have to think that it is a deal that takes them to the next level. Its difficult to say whether he does take a team like Liverpool or United to another level. I rate him as highly as anyone but I don't know if he takes either of them to another level. United could pay it though they're dumb enough. Grealish will make them better but not by enough to oust Liverpool or City. Their problems are so deep Grealish can't fix them.

I would argue that only makes sense given what I mentioned above. Most teams just dont need to sell. Teams coming up about 3 years ago had such an advantage over the last few crops of promoted teams. I would say a lot of promotion chasers should have an alternate 3 year plan that factors in immediate relegation and immediate promotion. I honestly think in the first instance they should just assume they will get relegated. There is a measurable financial gulf.

Given Suso was sacked I don't think that was our plan but I do feel it was a consideration. I think teams should be looking at us as a model for success but modify the plan and learn from our mistakes. Good management will do that, they'll actually see our real mistakes and won't blindly buy 10 players. They might get 5 or 6 though and spend a little bigger on one or two key players. And they'll stick with the manager and they'll say "no matter what we're in a better position, if we go down we'll retain the core and with whatever we've saved by not going full Aston Villa we'll reinvest again".

Don't think our 10 players was a mistake; it probably kept us up. Most promoted teams have a core of players which can form the basis for the new season; we didn't. So they don't need as many new players. But they still need some; they problem they have is finding the money to finance worthwhile signings. With our owners we didn't have that problem.

I’ve wrote up a post three times now but ends up being too long.

The short of it is if Grealish stays we need to spend a good 50-60m on some quality additions and if he doesn’t stay we need to get the maximum price for him and I’m talking 120m and we reinvest it all.

Either way it’s going to be a big summer, We need to make decisions on Engels, Taylor, Wesley, Trezeguet, AEG, Heaton, Kalinic, Guilbert, Hourihane, Vassilev and Elmo.

We need more depth in the squad. Not only do we need good backup, and indeed good competition for places, but we ought to try for a position where we can go on good cup runs as well as compete in the league.

I can see Hourihane, Vassilev, Elmo, Taylor and Kalinic going. And one of Heaton/Steer.

I’ve wrote up a post three times now but ends up being too long.

The short of it is if Grealish stays we need to spend a good 50-60m on some quality additions and if he doesn’t stay we need to get the maximum price for him and I’m talking 120m and we reinvest it all.

Either way it’s going to be a big summer, We need to make decisions on Engels, Taylor, Wesley, Trezeguet, AEG, Heaton, Kalinic, Guilbert, Hourihane, Vassilev and Elmo.

I think we'll spend more than £60m even if Jack stays. Ideally we can look at buying proven quality now that our targets wont see us as being in a relegation battle. A good attacking mid to replace Barkley is probably going to be £40m+ alone.
From the players on your list of potential outs - I think we'll keep Wesley and El Ghazi as back ups. Although it does depend if we can find buyers for the ones who aren't out of contract.

I think we'll spend more than £60m even if Jack stays. Ideally we can look at buying proven quality now that our targets wont see us as being in a relegation battle. A good attacking mid to replace Barkley is probably going to be £40m+ alone.
From the players on your list of potential outs - I think we'll keep Wesley and El Ghazi as back ups. Although it does depend if we can find buyers for the ones who aren't out of contract.

Hourihane would be better than Barkley.

Don't think we can assume that the owners are going to dig deep into their pockets again. Reckon they are shrewd, and that means there's a time to spend and a time not to spend. I think we'll look to strengthen in the summer, but not sure by how much.

It wouldn't take much for us to be mounting a stronger challenge for top 6. As it is, I think 8th is probably our limit.

Agree we could really do with a creative midfielder with real vision. The reason we lose when we go behind is because when teams sit back we struggle badly. Someone with intelligence, invention and passing ability who can play off the front three's running helps address that.

Agree we could really do with a creative midfielder with real vision. The reason we lose when we go behind is because when teams sit back we struggle badly. Someone with intelligence, invention and passing ability who can play off the front three's running helps address that.

I'll add that I feel its slightly deeper than just one player picking a pass. Its a team game and you see the issues Liverpool are having trying to unlock defences and they have Thiago. I like McGinn and his industry but I think he's useless when we're laying siege. I think Sanson might have better short passing and then finding someone to replace Barkley will significantly help us to unlock those stubborn defences.

I think it about getting another significant danger on the field alongside Grealish.

Perhaps we’ve got a bit more clout with wages we can bring actual quality in on free transfers.

If Abraham and Edouard aren’t doable you’ve got Benteke on a free transfer, you’ve got Depay who’s world class that could come in on the left for free, and shift Jack in the middle, there’s Thauvin for free on the right, if we really want to be ambitious keep Jack on the left and bring in Draxler from PSG on a free transfer by any means possible for that creative spot.

Garcia up and coming CB at Man City is available on a free transfer only 20 years old, If we’re really struggling on the LB side Amavi is available on a free transfer too for competition and he could probably do half a job as a defensive winger when we want to shut the game up.

There’s quite a few gems that will be wanting Champions League football but if we fly the fancy Grealish flag now he’s getting world attention, and we bring in the right quality additions at the right time and show we’re serious we might actually attract someone that before wouldn’t look twice at us.

I'll add that I feel its slightly deeper than just one player picking a pass. Its a team game and you see the issues Liverpool are having trying to unlock defences and they have Thiago. I like McGinn and his industry but I think he's useless when we're laying siege. I think Sanson might have better short passing and then finding someone to replace Barkley will significantly help us to unlock those stubborn defences.

I think it about getting another significant danger on the field alongside Grealish.
McGinn is good at twatting the ball cross field but cannot for the life of him play a meaningful forward pass that puts an attacker in. He also doesn't score many goals. People act like he's this attacking midfield who is being held back but he only scored 6 at the Champions level.

I agree that we absolutely need creative quality in there. The question then becomes one of whether someone like Sanson is better than McGinn and therefore displaces him. We cannot play with McGinn and Sanson in there IMO, not enough creativity, both appear to be number 8s.

Status
Not open for further replies.