The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 210 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d class Wes as a flop when you look at what we paid for him. We tend to look at injured/ex players through tinted glasses and when he was out injured some thought he was turning it round.
Personally I think he wasn’t - all I saw was moaning and a lack of effort. Didn’t see much the other night at Walsall either considering he was a £20milion + player.

Half a season immediately after promotion. That's all he had . Think back to that first season , it's a world away from where we are now seemingly.. He deserves a chance in a side that isn't trying to fit shed loads of new players in after getting promoted via the lottery route ahead of the plan .

Our results without Barkley last season make for interesting reading. 7 wins 2 draws 3 losses. I really think he was a massive reason for the complaint that our midfield was under pressure hence why everyone wants a DCM but Buendia is a massive defensive upgrade on Barkley. 6th overall for tackles per 90 in Championship last season which is nuts for an attacking mid
Yes totally agree, I think Barkley had a negative effect on McGinn who couldn’t burst forward in the same manner and Luiz who isn’t the best at breaking up play was often left exposed. Because of that I am conscious of signing another outright attacking midfielder, we’d possibly be better off signing an good midfield all rounder instead. Buendia looks like he could play in a central attack midfield role but there’s a big difference playing on the wing and tracking back and actually being part of the midfield

Lange is in a much better position than Susow to avoid "flops".

When discussing "flops" we have to remember we were (and still are) limited in the amount we can spend each window. We therefore have to juggle the budget and match that to players we can afford in order to fill the positions we need to fill.

We will never experience a perfect window, where we purchase all of our first choices. Remember, there has to be a willing seller, a mutually agreeable price, a willing player with a mutually agreeable contract that fits within the wider budget.

It's all a matter of perspective and you could argue that Samatta was not a flop, he covered a position that needed cover, cost us net £4m and while he wasn't prolific, was integral to PL survival - no-one can say that we would have been better off without him. What we can agree on, is that we needed better to be able to progress.

Danny fcuking Drinkwater on the other hand - who made that call :lol:

Personally, I don't think we need a DCM, I'm certainly not a fan of players who can't play but can stop those that can. In this day and age, you all have to win the ball back asap. The modern defensive midfielder is a bare minimum Marv, but he doesn't just sit he nicks the ball and plays. I don't want us with a Jedinak , Rice or Philips .
Much better off not giving the ball away so much with 50 yard punts to Ollie from Mings
And it could be argued that our greatest ever team didn't have a true defensive midfielder. Sir Dennis was box-to-box, Sid was a passer with attacking instincts and Des was a grafter who mainly played on the right in front of Kenny Swain. Midfield is all about balance.

Actually, I can’t remember us ever having a dedicated DM. Is there any player we’ve had that fits into this category?

Half a season immediately after promotion. That's all he had . Think back to that first season , it's a world away from where we are now seemingly.. He deserves a chance in a side that isn't trying to fit shed loads of new players in after getting promoted via the lottery route ahead of the plan .
Reminder that Juan Pablo Angel didn't score a single goal in his first 1/2 season for Villa. He turned out alright.

And it could be argued that our greatest ever team didn't have a true defensive midfielder. Sir Dennis was box-to-box, Sid was a passer with attacking instincts and Des was a grafter who mainly played on the right in front of Kenny Swain. Midfield is all about balance.
And the epitome of the attacking midfielder. David Platt. 20 Goals a season from midfield.

I was certain Grealish is staying, I think most of us were, not totally convinced, no comments from Deano or the club or the player himself, an a little crazy rumours going around personal terms have been agreed, I mean you’d think if this was really a load of rubbish Villa would be going out of their way of suing the likes of the daily Mail or whoever is reporting it.

If he does go, which is still a massive if, Todd Cantwell isn’t the player who we should be linked with or being eyed as a replacement.

Losing Jack would set us back massively, I think you’ve then got to invest all over, bring in a proper established DM like Anguissa, Bailey out wide, Buendia in the centre and at the bare minimum you’ve got to be saying Pereira or someone else who is as highly rated as that Bailey.

It becomes a bit of a rebuilding process but one that we’d have to spend on if we want Europe, Hopefully Jack enjoys his holiday, comes back and signs a new deal and we haven’t got to be thinking about this stuff any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.