The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 208 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we agree on spending big money as backups, as I don't think we're there as a club yet anyway, and you genuinely won't hear me criticising Smith giving young players a go in the team. I was impressed with a lot of the players who played yesterday for example, and there seems to be a lot of talent in that Youth Cup winning side.

My issue with Davis is just based around, what has he actually done to deserve a place in the first team? Quickly looking up his stats, the lad's got 6 goals in 85 appearances, and he's not a 17 or 18 year old who is just breaking through, he's 23. He needs a loan spell where he can play regular football.

So I think the only area where we disagree, is that I think we need better back-up options in the short-term to help us kick on and achieve our goals. We could do worse than a smart loan or free transfer (like Young).
I don't rate Davis at all but I do like look of Brad Young. Why can't he get brought through as Watkins backup option. He's same age as Greenwood was 2 seasons ago and he had 31 league appearances his debut season

I don't rate Davis at all but I do like look of Brad Young. Why can't he get brought through as Watkins backup option. He's same age as Greenwood was 2 seasons ago and he had 31 league appearances his debut season

Been thinking the same thing. Brad has a hunger about him. If Ollie gets injured then give Brad a shot, or pick a false 9 from our increasing squad of wingers and attacking mid fielders.

We haven't got a senior centre forward anywhere near Ollie's class, and we won't get one to sit on the bench.

I don't think there is a comparison, Greenwood has undeniable talent and you could see it in his first few games. If Brad was good enough he would he'd have made our bench. I don't believe you can develop players without them playing competitively. Experience matters. This means he'd have to go out on loan for 1-2 seasons depending on how he gets on.

Given the hype around so many players in our ranks, the players who will make it will make it. The ones who aren't good enough won't except for a handful who have the desire to really be better and take their opportunities.

Looks like the days are over of bringing in players on the cheap hoping they will click. We seem to be thinking a bit more about it now. Our transfer business has been spot on in recent windows and that has improved us massively. We now look like a club that can attract any good players to join us. Exciting times.

Last edited:
Weird in a way - taking Nyland and Kalinic out of it which were sort of panic buys for me, the only failures you'd say were Barkley and Jota - but each (for a period) played their part and contributed and in the case of Jota he helped turn the dressing room knowing DS so well to begin with anyway.

I'm struggling to think of a proper flop in its truest sense. Maybe Engels, but he was fine until his Spurs cock ups (but even then he scored from memory) and that one performance is all most remember so he wasn't really a flop either.

I think there has been players we brought in that are not happy about the way they are being played or that they are not getting the game time they feel they deserve, Its players that play their part in the squad that matters. I can understand Smith thinking he could get something out of Barkley Mike, but as you say, he failed. good job he realized that.

Weird in a way - taking Nyland and Kalinic out of it which were sort of panic buys for me, the only failures you'd say were Barkley and Jota - but each (for a period) played their part and contributed and in the case of Jota he helped turn the dressing room knowing DS so well to begin with anyway.

I'm struggling to think of a proper flop in its truest sense. Maybe Engels, but he was fine until his Spurs cock ups (but even then he scored from memory) and that one performance is all most remember so he wasn't really a flop either.
How have you managed to overlook Drinkwater

I think there has been players we brought in that are not happy about the way they are being played or that they are not getting the game time they feel they deserve, Its players that play their part in the squad that matters. I can understand Smith thinking he could get something out of Barkley Mike, but as you say, he failed. good job he realized that.
Luiz is a good example, he's being asked to play DM , a role he's not suited to

Status
Not open for further replies.