The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 335 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

We definitely need a Hourihane replacement, other than that (and assuming Traore deal is done) I think we've improved the squad. Only time will tell if we have improved our league position.

No point fretting about it though, it won't change the outcome and you'll get a ulcer. Also, don't be fooled by Newcastle's win over a very poor West Ham, they'll both be in and around the plug hole.

I’m still really worried, because as it sits at this minute compared to last season I can’t see much of an improvement, we have Martinez last year we had Heaton, Cash - Guilbert, Watkins - Wesley, all unproven, bookies still have us to go down and I can see why, is our defence any stronger than last season? I don’t think so. Hope I’m wrong but on paper nothing much as changed.
we have 2 weeks to get some class in or we’re having another season of pain.
Agree. We haven't really improved anything, including the manager. It's going to be another long long season.

This thread has been sniffing some depressive gas or something.

Positives

Martinez might be better than Heaton and last all season, command and organise the defence, something we haven't had properly since Brad Friedel.

Targett might actually have a better season, he's just had one hell of a kicking last season and he'll be better for it, Never know he might get some competent competition in the likes of Danny Rose/Rico Henry.

Mings and Konsa will be better this season, We've had some decent games in Pre season we beat both Man Utd and Arsenal who fielded quite strong sides, yes only a friendly but with the teams they put out with players looking to impress they'll be expecting the wins, we finished last season as one of the strongest sides.

SJM is back to 100% now, DS said he was at 80% after he came back from injury and said he's raring to go.

Already Jack Grealish and Watkins are linking up well, Grealish himself says it's coming on already, Luiz won't have a bad start like last season, and Grealish has something to prove to Southgate to keep getting picked.

IF Cash doesn't perform and impress then we know we've got Guilbert who will be improved as well.

With the likes of Traore instead of Ghazi it'll be like playing with an extra player on the field, I can see us getting another winger in be it King, Benrahma or Rashica, as soon as that happens Grealish can move into the centre and really start linking midfield to attack something we also lacked last season.

After listening to Dean Smith today I really expect us to get at least 3 more players, my money is on 2 wingers and a left back.

Like everyone has said it would be nice to have an experienced CB, but I believe we won't struggle like last season, Grealish himself expects the team to be finishing between 8-12th realistically I think 12-15th.

Cheer up guys we could have a blinder of a season.

Shame we can't just sell our players, rather than loaning them out but with him and Vassilev going out there must be one coming in , unless Traore is regarded as a striker replacement which I suppose could be the case

I think we've made 3-4 significant additions to the first team. In addition, the remaining core players will be starting their second PL campaign, with all the experience of last year to build on. With a little more luck on injuries, I think we could be a lot better this year.

Up until January/ February we were doing ok out of bottom three wise. SJM had some issues in November before that stupid challenge to break his ankle followed by Heaton & Wesley injuries on New Year’s Day. We had el gazhi at cf for a couple of games, Nyland in goal looking like a jelly at times & confidence drained away pre lock down.
I don’t see any correlation between the team in that poor run and now. Bookies follow history & expectation. Mid table here we come.

Can understand the scepticism of some with regards to the coming season but I don’t think we can underestimate the first season of experience in the Prem many of them now have under their belt. To get that experience and survive the drop is huge. That, along with the quality over quantity signings we’ve made this window should lead to a much more relaxed May 2021. Building blocks are being put in place...and with the knowledge that our owners aren’t going to do a Randy...get it right and the next 10 years could be very exciting! Let’s face it, it can’t get any more uninspiring than the previous ten!

Positive reinforcements coming in and our major assets still in place, so a decent closed season for me. However, I think we may need to do something about strengthening our central defensive options. The first few games will will give us a clue and we’ll still have a couple of weeks to correct any weaknesses.

Positives

Martinez might be better than Heaton and last all season, command and organise the defence, something we haven't had properly since Brad Friedel.

Targett might actually have a better season, he's just had one hell of a kicking last season and he'll be better for it, Never know he might get some competent competition in the likes of Danny Rose/Rico Henry.

Mings and Konsa will be better this season, We've had some decent games in Pre season we beat both Man Utd and Arsenal who fielded quite strong sides, yes only a friendly but with the teams they put out with players looking to impress they'll be expecting the wins, we finished last season as one of the strongest sides.

SJM is back to 100% now, DS said he was at 80% after he came back from injury and said he's raring to go.

Already Jack Grealish and Watkins are linking up well, Grealish himself says it's coming on already, Luiz won't have a bad start like last season, and Grealish has something to prove to Southgate to keep getting picked.

IF Cash doesn't perform and impress then we know we've got Guilbert who will be improved as well.

With the likes of Traore instead of Ghazi it'll be like playing with an extra player on the field, I can see us getting another winger in be it King, Benrahma or Rashica, as soon as that happens Grealish can move into the centre and really start linking midfield to attack something we also lacked last season.

After listening to Dean Smith today I really expect us to get at least 3 more players, my money is on 2 wingers and a left back.

Like everyone has said it would be nice to have an experienced CB, but I believe we won't struggle like last season, Grealish himself expects the team to be finishing between 8-12th realistically I think 12-15th.

Nicked!

Positive reinforcements coming in and our major assets still in place, so a decent closed season for me. However, I think we may need to do something about strengthening our central defensive options. The first few games will will give us a clue and we’ll still have a couple of weeks to correct any weaknesses.

Said on the previous page, our defence last season was poor, it needs improving and it needs experience. Sorry to use the E word that some hate so much again.

I am super happy with the window. Cannot criticise any of the buys at all. Hope we can get some consistency into our game now.

Positives

I like your optimism, but...............................

Heaton was brilliant last season and if Martinez can replicate that then great, but I don't see him as an improvement as a fully fit Heaton would have been perfect.

Targett is just a pansy and is nowhere good enough and never will be. We should have signed a top left back.

Cash, well none of us know if he's going to be PL quality. It could take him a season to get there, but I don't expect him to be for a while.

Watkins, yes I think he is going to be a great signing but only if he gets enough service.

SJM, as most on here know he's not my favourite player. Decent but not top quality imo. This season will define for me whether he can kick on to become a top PL player.

Traore, to me is the biggest risk. Had a shocking last season and rated as Lyon's worst player by their fans. Yes he was good for them before that, but the French league isn't exactly the best in Europe. Will need a good start as he comes across as a confidence player. Any better than Trez, well despite him being an average player it was his goals that kept us in this league.

Personally, I don't think we have been smart enough in this window compared to other clubs who have got better players cheaper. Players were there for the taking as we have seen but were we ambitious enough to sign them or is Dean Smith the barrier to them signing.

I think our best signing has been Craig Shakespere who I think will bring some much needed changes to our attacking game.

I still think however unless there are some quality signings before the window slams shut that we will struggle to finish outside the bottom 6. I hope I am wrong.