The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 287 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

How much we paying Heaton for the next three years? Have we forgotten how good he is? Is his injury more severe than we were last informed, because a few weeks back we were told he'd be fit for our third match of the season. I'd say a new gk is the lowest of low priorities

Realistically Harry Wilson or David Brooks please, Sarr if that's possible...oh, and Axel on loan so we grab him on the free after. Thanks in advance, Grumpy.

How much we paying Heaton for the next three years? Have we forgotten how good he is? Is his injury more severe than we were last informed, because a few weeks back we were told he'd be fit for our third match of the season. I'd say a new gk is the lowest of low priorities
Would love to agree, but unfortunately a top goalkeeper is required before the season starts. Don't get me wrong Tom has been fantastic for us and in an ideal world if he was fit and ready to go then yes we can bide our time. But none of us know what Tom Heaton we are getting post injury and it's a big risk to assume he will be just as good as he was. We can't take a gamble on this. And with Reyna gone none of us can say Jed can step up to the plate and fill his shoes. If Martinez comes in it's a massive statement from the club that we mean business.

Would love to agree, but unfortunately a top goalkeeper is required before the season starts. Don't get me wrong Tom has been fantastic for us and in an ideal world if he was fit and ready to go then yes we can bide our time. But none of us know what Tom Heaton we are getting post injury and it's a big risk to assume he will be just as good as he was. We can't take a gamble on this. And with Reyna gone none of us can say Jed can step up to the plate and fill his shoes. If Martinez comes in it's a massive statement from the club that we mean business.

34 withknee injury that might never fully recover, Sorry but I've got to go with a fully fit keeper who is 6 years younger and now one Arsenal might lose without liking it, I know Arsenal fans losing their nut and rather sell the other and make Martinez their first, saying he has more chance now than ever to secure it.

We need a decent keeper, and more to the point, one who can play 35 games per season, every season, for the next 3-5 years if we ever hope to stop leaking goals.

Fingers crossed we can get him and King - a great window if so.

We need a decent keeper, and more to the point, one who can play 35 games per season, every season, for the next 3-5 years if we ever hope to stop leaking goals.

Completely agree and one that can command and give his defenders the confidence to perform in front of him.

I'd take King, Not sure how much he would come for, Apparently he still thinks he can get his Man Utd move, and after seeing Callum leave on 100k a week, I can't see him accepting 50-60k
Probably a couple of other wingers I'd prefer but he seems a solid buy and probably our strongest player outside the defence, 16m can't really go wrong but we can't be paying any more than that for a player who has less than 12 months on his contract.

Last edited:
Yup. Although I would frame it as we need competition for Tom Heaton, who was clearly bought to be No.1.

Steer is unproven and seemingly injury-prone. He playoff heroics have bought him some leeway for me, but in my heart or hearts, I can't see him as the long-term solution.

Nyland... I had high hopes, but have to concede (much like him :lol:) that he is just not good enough to be trusted.

Kalinić - the less said about him the better, I guess. No idea if he is any good or not after less than 10 games (or so), but clearly Deano and Neil Cutler don't rate him, otherwise he'd be in and around the squad rather than being packed off to France on loan.

Martinez is young enough and £20m is really not that much in today's game. Although equally, I'd be happy with Romero coming in for £8m (or whatever has been mentioned). Either strikes me as an upgrade on Nyland and Kalinić, and probably Jed, if I am honest.

King scored 1 more goal than Wesley last season and played +200 more minutes. Half were penalties. Only 3 from open play. He's not that good and 29 in January

Round peg in round hole > stats playing for other clubs IMO.

I'd like King for his all-round abilities rather than just goals, I don't doubt he's head & shoulders over everyone else up front/on the wing at the moment, other than Watkins of course but I'm not married to the idea, I'm open to others for sure.

We can't have Watkins up front with the likes of Ghazi and Hourihane in the same side, it's nonsense IMO.

Wesley's never going to make it in the PL IMO mate.

Just seen that Watford have taken Danny Welbeck's Number 10 shirt off him and given him 38. Shades of Lambert's bomb squad. :LOL:

Not suggesting him but teammate Sarr is surprisingly still there, think we should be all over that.

It is also one of the more important positions on the pitch.

I do rate Heaton personally, but he's seemingly injury prone, he's also very poor with the ball at his feet. Finally, we saw the damage that Nyland can cause between the sticks letting in soft goal after soft goal and someone like him could cost us our place in this league if we have to rely on him. Reina was an improvement but was still a bit dodgy.

Whilst I wouldn't call this signing essential we certainly do need better backup and with the outlay we could make on Martinez it looks like Heaton will be that backup.

There is a nice sense that things are starting to take that bit more shape RE recruitment now after a challenging start.