The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 268 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

I suspect one of the reasons Brentford demanded such a high fee is a sell-on clause when they bought him from Exeter City. (See article below)

Nevertheless, Brentford have definitely overcharged us and we having lost out on Callum Wilson were easy prey.

"It is understood that the Grecians negotiated a 15 per cent sell-on clause when selling Watkins to Brentford."

ARTICLE...... https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/how-much-exeter-city-stand-4477504

If we get Watkins and King I’d be fairly happy that it’s an upgrade on last season. They can both play up front and both play wider so could interchange.

Just as long as we are providing some service for the guy as he’s certainly not a traditional target man and could very much look a waste of money expecting him to be a Davis who can score.

Rumours than Watkins deal is close.

£28 million rising to £33 million with add-ons!

That's a lot if fudging money for a Championship striker!

No pressure lad!

Well if we picked him and King up then all of a sudden I'm looking back at our defence again and thinking it ain't up to snuff compared to up front.

That would be a nicer problem to have given where we're at as I type ...

Watkins was one I definitely wanted, but that fee is going to put a lot of pressure on the lad. Ife he gest 12 next season he will have done alright so long as the rest are chipping in as well

If we get Watkins and King I’d be fairly happy that it’s an upgrade on last season. They can both play up front and both play wider so could interchange.

Just as long as we are providing some service for the guy as he’s certainly not a traditional target man and could very much look a waste of money expecting him to be a Davis who can score.

Around 70m for Cash, Watkins and King - with no doubt the rest of our budget being used on a keeper, for me is not great business in the transfer window.

I am concerned.

Seeing as we "lost out to Newcastle" on Wilson, but have "beaten Spurs" to Watkins, I don't know if I should be spooning out my eyeballs in despair, or dancing naked in the street. Or could it be that these are silly ways in which to measure your football club?

The seasons he scored 10 he was out wide, so an excellent return for a WF.

All the reports are that he has a really excellent and professional attitude, so more power to him.

We'll just have to try and remember that he didn't pick his transfer fee and try and judge him on his own merits.

Context is important and that’s a good point if that’s how he played. The interesting thing about that is that he’s versatile and I assume can play anywhere along the front line.

Of course Brentford are going to rape us. They know that Deano has zero reach beyond their tin pot club, so where else we gonna go?

If he buys him for that much it’s not so much pressure on Watkins, he can say ‘gimme a break, it’s my first PL season’ - all the pressure is going to be fairly and squarely on Deano’s shoulders.

Mccormack and hogan should have been harsh lessons learnt. You simply dont spunk this sort of money on unproven players who are now past the 'potential' age. Harsh, yes and hopefully I'm wrong.

Johan lange sure earnt his crust since joining us!!

It's a touch embarrassing that we've been absolutely ass raped by Brentford on this but hey ho. Not Watkin's fault he has cost this much but there will be instant pressure to deliver of the like he has never felt before.

Personally I haven't been massively impressed from what I've seen, but a mate of mine who used to be at the Brentford academy and is a hardcore Liverpool fan, and therefore a footballing snob, really does rate him, talking up his athleticism and intelligence on the pitch.

Well, IMO, that's what we're sorely lacking up front and in wider forward positions, we're slow and dumb.

Give me King and Watkins for £50m in *this team* and I'm happy.

Context is important and that’s a good point if that’s how he played. The interesting thing about that is that he’s versatile and I assume can play anywhere along the front line.
If we get another striker in, then Watkins is effectively two signings in one.

If King comes in, does that mean Jack can look forward to starting at 8 and 10 mostly this season rather than wide left?

Well my ex-Brentford academy mate has said the following about him:

(1) Work rate is tremendous and defends very well from the front

(2) Fantastic learner on the training pitch and this explains why he became so successful as a number 9 after spending most of his career on the wing. He also rarely repeats the same mistakes week on week because he learns and adapts so well. A coaches dream.

(3) He has a lot of pace and makes intelligent runs both in the box and off the shoulder.

(4) I guess like all strikers he needs good service, especially crosses and through balls to exploit his pace.

(5) Smart lad off the pitch and has a private school education.

(6) Scores important goals and often the first goal, rather than getting on the score sheet after Brentford are a few up.

(7) We're overpaying but then that's the state of the market and Brentford have done a great job playing hardball with us.

If we get another striker in, then Watkins is effectively two signings in one.

If King comes in, does that mean Jack can look forward to starting at 8 and 10 mostly this season rather than wide left?

Yup and with someone to measure a sliderule pass to - right now he's got Ghazi/Trez/Samatta/Davis to pass to, little wonder he didn't bother passing much last season ...

Also just remembered Exeter have a sell on clause for him of 10 or 20% which will have driven the price up by a few million

Well my ex-Brentford academy mate has said the following about him:

(1) Work rate is tremendous and defends very well from the front

(2) Fantastic learner on the training pitch and this explains why he became so successful as a number 9 after spending most of his career on the wing. He also rarely repeats the same mistakes week on week because he learns and adapts so well. A coaches dream.

(3) He has a lot of pace and makes intelligent runs both in the box and off the shoulder.

(4) I guess like all strikers he needs good service, especially crosses and through balls to exploit his pace.

(5) Smart lad off the pitch and has a private school education.

(6) Scores important goals and often the first goal, rather than getting on the score sheet after Brentford are a few up.

(7) We're overpaying but then that's the state of the market and Brentford have done a great job playing hardball with us.
Sounds great. Is it still the case in football if you've got more than 5 GCSEs your nickname is "Einstein"?

Anyway, with £33m based on goals and an England call, I hope it rises to £33m as quickly as possible!

Watkins will be make or break for Smith. If he does well then we should be further up the table, fail and surely Smith will be gone.
I can see he's an intelligent lad and has done well in the chumps but I thought when we were talking £18m he seemed expensive.
Massive risk this one.

Seeing as we "lost out to Newcastle" on Wilson, but have "beaten Spurs" to Watkins, I don't know if I should be spooning out my eyeballs in despair, or dancing naked in the street. Or could it be that these are silly ways in which to measure your football club?
If you’re going to be dancing naked in the street it won’t be your football club the neighbours are measuring.