The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 238 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

Not that we necessarily 'need' a left back but Jamal Lewis at £13.5m is incredible business and he's a better player than Targett IMO.

Hopefully we can take Buendia off them.
Would definitely take Buendia, plays on the opposite side to Grealish and created a similar amount of chances last season despite being in an absolutely woeful team. £13m for Lewis seems low these days, something wrong with the Norwich set up to me too happy to take the money and not push for anything

Meanwhile for the price we are alledgedly bidding for a striker who in 5 premier league seasons has scored more than 8 goals only once Everton sign a Brazilian international midfielder who is a year older and has played over 200 times for Napoli. And they will be buying a beast in Dacoure aswell.

Looks to me like we are not looking for the next level and experience I had hoped. Playing with fire again. Hope they were not blinded by the 4 games at the end of the season and think we have cracked it. We haven't.

Not long to find out but if Wilson and Watkins are added to Cash then that doesn't leave much room to buy the at least 3 proven and experienced players i .think we needed .

This smells like last summer all over again.
Completely agree, although I’d say Everton are far above us unfortunately. They are a solid PL side, unlike us, and are a couple years further down the line with their own rich owners.

The Cash deal to me seems a bit complacent. He is highly rated by Forest fans, so might be an improvement on Guilbert but the idea that with all of our problems and absence of experience we’ve gone for a young championship right back does make me concerned that as you say we are basing our transfer policy on 4 or 5 games and not the other 30+ last season. I guess we will ultimately find out how it all fits together with other signings but unless we make some fundamental improvements to the starting 11 we’ll be in the same situation as last season

Completely agree, although I’d say Everton are far above us unfortunately. They are a solid PL side, unlike us, and are a couple years further down the line with their own rich owners.

That's the problem to this new generation of players we are not as good as Everton, the only way we'll get those players is to offer more money, and then you risk getting a mercenary.I know the majority of players are mercenaries but some will go anywhere for money even China

Completely underwhelming and infuriating is how I see it at the moment, but still live in hope because there's another month to bring in players (although we would all like them sooner ie. before a game is played).

I say infuriating because we were dead and buried on more than one occasion last season, and looking at losing Jack and others. We pulled off a miracle by staying up and have such a chance to push on while keeping the likes of Jack, Luiz and SJM.

But here we are. The lack of ambition by this club over the last God knows how many years really is something.

I really hope I'm eating my words when the window closes.

Wouldn't say that about Everton; they've needed a massive overhaul for years. Ageing and complacent players. Which is why Ancelotti struggled a bit last season.

Otherwise, agree with the above sentiments. Although, like all our signings, Guilbert had a bit of a mixed season, there is quality there, and it's not a position where we desperately need new blood.

Timing may be against us in that sacking Suzo and appointing Lange and McKenzie may have upset our transfer plans; we really need the latter two to dig out some real quality.

I wonder if the club's apparent lack of ambition/inability to attract the players we/they want is not related to actual ambition or even ability/willingness to spend but to the FFP restrictions on wage budget increase, which seemingly has nothing to do with ability to pay and everything to do with stopping any other clubs joining the ranks of big spenders. Are we not limited to a 4% wage bill increase, or something stupid like that?

News in saying Guilbert could be off to Nantes and already in talks.

Who knows perhaps Nantes was already in for Guilbert and it just made more sense to us to get Cash as a better replacement and adding another homegrown player.

Callum Wilson.. Hmmm. I know that if he has scored 20 goals last season and not the 8, Bournemouth would have stayed up and this would be a moot point. Wesley would have probably finished with around 8/9 goals and if we had been relegated, do you think many teams would have been chomping at the bit to take him off our hands?

Callum Wilson.. Hmmm. I know that if he has scored 20 goals last season and not the 8, Bournemouth would have stayed up and this would be a moot point. Wesley would have probably finished with around 8/9 goals and if we had been relegated, do you think many teams would have been chomping at the bit to take him off our hands?

perhaps we could throw Wesley into the deal , you know 20m cash or 25m and Wesley

Probably not. But let us consider the fact that Wilsons record overall since his time in the premier league is still pretty good and that is why he's in demand. Personally I would love him to come to Villa. As for Wes if he was fully fit he would have buried the chances Davis and Samatta squandered and would have been a good shout to get 10 or so in his first season. I wouldn't write him off yet.

News in saying Guilbert could be off to Nantes and already in talks.

Who knows perhaps Nantes was already in for Guilbert and it just made more sense to us to get Cash as a better replacement and adding another homegrown player.

I suspect it may be as simple as our Freddie cannot settle here. It would be a shame if he goes. For all his faults he has a great attitude.

I wonder if the club's apparent lack of ambition/inability to attract the players we/they want is not related to actual ambition or even ability/willingness to spend but to the FFP restrictions on wage budget increase, which seemingly has nothing to do with ability to pay and everything to do with stopping any other clubs joining the ranks of big spenders. Are we not limited to a 4% wage bill increase, or something stupid like that?

For me it was there long before FFP