The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 65 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

Martin O'Neill got us to 6th three seasons in a row on £20m net spend a season. We had a parade of managers who came after that fought relegation battle after relegation battle with exactly the same money.

The issue with O’Neill was the way he walked out of the club a week before the new season started. How many have ever done that? He knew exactly what he was doing, nothing had changed from the end of the previous season so he should have walked then. But he left us in the shite, deliberately in my view and we never really recovered. Think many will never forgive him for that irrespective of the top 6 finishes.

Just read the Sky interview with Gerrard and I must say I'm impressed with how he comes across. He clearly has ambition and is fully focused on the here and now and Aston Villa Football Club. Yes you can say it's all pre meditated soundbites but for myself personally I was excited and intrigued by his appointment and in the short space of time he's been here I can clearly see an improvement and direction in which he wants us to go.
Time will obviously be the telling factor of if he's successful or not but I think we could be on the cusp of something special.
Call me a dreamer but this feels like when we had BFR in charge and those were exciting times indeed.

Time will obviously be the telling factor of if he's successful or not but I think we could be on the cusp of something special.
Call me a dreamer but this feels like when we had BFR in charge and those were exciting times indeed.

For me. Nothing like it, not even in the same universe. No comparison at all.

Yup, agree, have a good impression of Gerrard and good vibes as to what he might do for us. Intriguing.

The issue with O’Neill was the way he walked out of the club a week before the new season started. How many have ever done that? He knew exactly what he was doing, nothing had changed from the end of the previous season so he should have walked then. But he left us in the shite, deliberately in my view and we never really recovered. Think many will never forgive him for that irrespective of the top 6 finishes.
The timing was intent on maximum damage to the club thinking of absolutely nobody but himself, not a seconds thought towards the fan base. ****.

Martin O'Neill got us to 6th three seasons in a row on £20m net spend a season. We had a parade of managers who came after that fought relegation battle after relegation battle with exactly the same money.
You're pretty much way out of touch of the utter contempt for the C hunt mate,
Despicable egotistical little bastard should have been sacked after season two

anyway back to Stevie Gee

MON left us and did what? He seems to have disappeared as a voice in football.
Gerrard may see us as a step in an evolving career but if that means his focus is on making a success of his time with us then that benefits Aston Villa. Turn us into a power again and he can go off to Liverpool at some stage in the future with no recriminations.

Very early days but thus far,very impressed with the new gaffer. Speaks well, better than I thought he would tbh, and team selection, tactics, game management and performances have been encouraging. Mind you,could have said the same thing about Tim Sherwood after he arrived….but that was probably as a result of the mumbling, bumbling Scottish bloke that had just left. We could have appointed Mickey Mouse and he would have been a breath of fresh air after Mr Lambert!

MON left us and did what? He seems to have disappeared as a voice in football.
Gerrard may see us as a step in an evolving career but if that means his focus is on making a success of his time with us then that benefits Aston Villa. Turn us into a power again and he can go off to Liverpool at some stage in the future with no recriminations.

The more time runs on and the more doubtful I think the Liverpool thing comes. Fact is that dispassionate American owners don't and won't give a toss about glamour and past player stories. When Klopp goes their sole objective will be to find the best coach for the job. That will be an extremely wide choice given the size of club. Any future there for SG is very far from certain.