The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 56 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

The league was so much better. I actually watched it and a lot of it as a former Celtic fan when I was a kid and teenager. The days of Larsson and even further back Gascoigne. Now their best players go to Southampton, Brentford and Palace.

So yeah it’s apples and oranges. And honestly that’s not to discount his abilities no mean feat no matter league to go unbeaten. That’s as much mental as it is ability wise. Let’s not kid ourselves either it’s two championship playing lower league one teams every week.
The phrase that comes to mind is: You can only beat what's in front of you. Regardless of the level, winning a league title and also going unbeaten is one hell of an achievement. Yes he still has to prove that he can do it at this level, but I'm not going to be dismissing his prior record because that league isn't as high-profile as it was 15-20 years ago. Every good manager has to start somewhere and I'd prefer a manager who has had to cut his cloth at lower levels than one who just gets a big job because he's a "name." Gerrard is, on the face of it, both.
The other thing that seems to have been lost in all of this is that Rangers were still trying to come back from bankruptcy, years of mismanagement and a double relegation. Until he went there, the league was actually a one-horse-race. Celtic had won nine-straight I believe.

Gerrard got Rangers back on top of the SPL. That's no mean feat. I think the way he set about it shows that he's a good manager. While there's no guarantee he'll succeed with us I can't see any obvious reason why he wouldn't. So, let's go with it.

He's had a good start, anyway. Makes you wonder what DS was playing at. Looking forwards to the CP game; a test, but one we can win.

I’ll be interested to see what plan he has for our young players. Obviously he isn’t going to chuck them into a relegation fight but once we’re in a comfortable position he could start introducing them. I notice that Man. City have given three young academy players a game today.
Gerrard has begun to build a reputation for progressing young players. Be nice to see that here.

I’ll be interested to see what plan he has for our young players. Obviously he isn’t going to chuck them into a relegation fight but once we’re in a comfortable position he could start introducing them. I notice that Man. City have given three young academy players a game today.
Gerrard has begun to build a reputation for progressing young players. Be nice to see that here.

If Bailey and Buendia don't get their acts together you could probably make an argument for Bidace to start some games out on one of the wings.

I can't stand this Liverpool legend talk.
So what. Yes he is a Liverpool legend. Because he was probably one of if not the best central midfielders in my time.
Jesus. So because he is a Liverpool legend any club he manages that isn't Liverpool is just a stepping stone or not his real passion.

It really doesn't matter if he does well for us and leaves for bigger and better things. That's life. And good on him if he does. It's called getting a promotion.
So everyone on here wouldn't take a promotion if offered?
I would jump ship for an extra £1 an hour.

Reckon Gerrard is going to give every player a fresh start to see what they're made of, and you can only put so many players in the matchday squad, so maybe the youngsters are being asked to wait their turn. It also means that players who are given their chance and don't perform may find themselves slipping down the pecking order fairly rapidly.

Thought Young and El Ghazi were both excellent when they came on. Probably Ings and Buendia were the big losers.

Gerrard bans fizzy drinks and all sugary sweets from menus, wants them to be the best versions of themselves! Question, why has he had too.
Surely that should’ve already been implemented shouldn’t it.

I think there is an element of silliness to all of that. If you're hitting your nutrition properly then a coke will make no odds but yeah you shouldn't have the coke everyday either.

Last edited:
Bet he's not going for a few jars with the lads afterwards. Suspect the lads are relieved! Watching how this turns out gets more and more interesting. Players who were hit and miss under DS may benefit from clearer roles and a positive style of play. El Ghazi looked up for it when he came on on Saturday, and Trez looks fired up in training.