The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 176 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

Interesting Times article today using wages and amortisation to rank expected points/position. We ranked 10th last year and finished 4 positions below but only 2 below expected points total. We had wages plus amortisation of £194m..Wolves directly above us at £200m and next above that Leicester at £260m. So we need wages + amortisation to rise by over 30% to push up our expected position in the table to 8th from 10th. In terms of Gerrard he has basically performed to expected in league position. His recruitment on the face of it has looked quite good. If we spent £150m on 4 players at £37.5m each and paid them £150k each per week we would be level with Leicester in terms of expected league position using this metric.

Hope he gets it right this year, I am sick of waiting for us to walk the walk as Fear would say. Let’s build for now before building for the future and finally seems like we’ve woke up to that. Setting these 3 and 5 year time horizons just leaves us in a position where our best players keep getting taken.

It’s like building a wall but every time you add a new layer you have to stop and fix the foundation because the wall has sunk.

Interesting Times article today using wages and amortisation to rank expected points/position. We ranked 10th last year and finished 4 positions below but only 2 below expected points total. We had wages plus amortisation of £194m..Wolves directly above us at £200m and next above that Leicester at £260m. So we need wages + amortisation to rise by over 30% to push up our expected position in the table to 8th from 10th. In terms of Gerrard he has basically performed to expected in league position. His recruitment on the face of it has looked quite good. If we spent £150m on 4 players at £37.5m each and paid them £150k each per week we would be level with Leicester in terms of expected league position using this metric.
Interesting. Surely the figures are backwards looking though as they must be based on the official accounts? So presumably wouldn’t have included Buendia, Bailey, Ings from last summer after the last set of accounts were published, or Digne ir Coutinho’s loan mid season, plus the new signings we’ve made this summer so I expect that gap has already been closed

Today is the day Steven Gerrard became our manager. No one is bigger than the club. SG is not fucking about with anyone and nobody is going to undermine him. Carney has basically had the ear of Purslow and today Gerrard has flipped the tables on Carney and showed him who is in charge.

Good decision by Stevie - Carney has been shown he'll get game time. I still don't blame him if he makes a move for greater game time though. He's not there yet with us and his ambition will either make him or break him.

Good decision by Stevie - Carney has been shown he'll get game time. I still don't blame him if he makes a move for greater game time though. He's not there yet with us and his ambition will either make him or break him.
Where for greater game time tho? Germany look that only option - I blame beaky Southgate and his love affair with Sancho and Bellingham

Where for greater game time tho? Germany look that only option - I blame beaky Southgate and his love affair with Sancho and Bellingham
Strange isn't it to play in an inferior league and get picked for England. Play for a PL club outside the Sky6 and miss out.
Sancho has flopped in the PL and nobody has bothered with Bellingham, they wait until he's on a free

Just read Gerrard's post match comments and it seems we played the game today on the back of a double training session and an 11k run as he wanted them to be tired to see how they performed.
It's about time someone really beasted them fitness wise as I feel it's been a thing we've lacked for quite a while. Hopefully an extra 10-20% in terms of conditioning will help towards improved results throughout the season.

Just read Gerrard's post match comments and it seems we played the game today on the back of a double training session and an 11k run as he wanted them to be tired to see how they performed.
It's about time someone really beasted them fitness wise as I feel it's been a thing we've lacked for quite a while. Hopefully an extra 10-20% in terms of conditioning will help towards improved results throughout the season.
Thought that fitness levels improved last season. Recall the wake up call in our opening 2019/20 home game versus BOURNEMOUTH. WE looked like a team of part timers as we spent much of the game struggling to match the Cherries.

Well Steven, we have got a good squad. The sort of squad that can beat any team on the day.

It's up to you now. You have to pick the best team, decide on the tactics and get the results.

This squad is good enough. If we aren't successful this year it is down to you.

Concerned that the starting 11 today will be the one he starts with against Bournemouth. It's clearly obvious Ings and Watkins can't play together and for a manager who has picked 27 previous pl starting line-ups not to see this (when everybody else can) is concerning. Pre-season games are about trying something different as well as building fitness. Ings and Watkins together even for 45 mins is not something different. Big season coming up for SG if indeed he lasts it. That'll be down to him.