The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 174 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

He’ll be aiming for 1st, be happy with 4th, and would accept a Europa spot somewhat begrudgingly. Or a cup would do as long as it was alongside a 7th. Anything less, he’ll be disappointed and angry. As far as he’s concerned we finished 9th this season so he has to improve on that. You have to aim to win every game as a cup final and that’ll be his mantra.

Yep we've been browbeaten into thinking 8th is the new first over the last 10 years and we all have to stop thinking that we can't achieve the top 4, we have as much money as anyone else and a manager the players all know. Man City are 10 years ahead of us, Liverpool are purely down to Klopp, and Chelsea now have to start turning a profit no more dirty money laundered through it .
If we aren't looking at the top we may as well not bother going anymore

I'm more excited now than I have been watching that tripe for 9 months that's for sure.
This is where SG comes into his own, attracting players, which is why we brought him in.

Yup. Don’t disagree with the last bit at all. But as said before, that is actually the easy bit . He still has to coach and manage the set up, tactics etc etc. Being a big name attracting players means nothing in that respect.

More like an old style manager than a director of football. I’m not sure Saunders was the greatest coach in the world but the players knew where they stood. Same with Fergie and Clough. Most of them for that matter. And I don’t think the game has changed so much that a Fergie team of old wouldn’t do well now. It’s about buying the right quality of player. Winger’s old mantra. “We ave the quality””. We never got anywhere near them because unfortunately we didn’t.

More like an old style manager than a director of football. I’m not sure Saunders was the greatest coach in the world but the players knew where they stood.

This is a really good point, and I would probably put Zidane into this bracket as well as a manager. There is this media myth perpetuated that to be successful you have to be the re-incarnation of Pep, but different managers have different styles, and some can be successful and work for the club you are at, whilst others won't.

This is a really good point, and I would probably put Zidane into this bracket as well as a manager. There is this media myth perpetuated that to be successful you have to be the re-incarnation of Pep, but different managers have different styles, and some can be successful and work for the club you are at, whilst others won't.

I've said this before about Pep. Put him with say Wycombe Wanderers with their squad and their transfer budget. Like to see how successful he would be then........

It's like being born with a 'silver spoon' in your mouth.

Cloughie wasn't a coach at all. That was Peter Taylor's job. Cloughie was the motivator and mainly looked on from afar when the team were training. There were weeks when the only time the team saw him was on match days. He was a hard bastard and didn't take kindly to players taking the piss both on and off the pitch.

A good story I was told about Forest was one day the players turned up to training and were told that they were being taken to Scarborough for the day. The players thought this was for a relaxing day at the seaside. When they got there they found themselves at Peter Taylors new acquisition, a holiday home. Their job for the day was to move his furniture etc into it and what I heard was it wasn't easy.

Imagine that happening these days.

The story came from the old Forest Chairman Fred Reacher so I know it wasn't made up.

I've said this before about Pep. Put him with say Wycombe Wanderers with their squad and their transfer budget. Like to see how successful he would be then........

It's like being born with a 'silver spoon' in your mouth.

It's true, football is not rocket science, if you have a very high calibre of player, then you will be far more likely to achieve what you want tactically.

You can't play a high possession game if your players can't pass the ball to each other.

And it's amazing how many Premier League players struggle to do that sometimes.

It's a marked step up in the quality (on paper anyway) that we are signing.
Is it? We‘ve bought players with CL experience previously. Don’t get me wrong, I’m pleased with who we are buying, I think it improves us. I’m just not sure how big the improvement will be.

Think we all want to be competing with Spurs and Arsenal, not West Ham, Wolves and Leicester. We need consistent performers created consistently good results - don’t think 10th is acceptable personally. Like you, I’m looking forward to next season and what the new players bring. A winning season and two good cup runs would be a start.

Is it? We‘ve bought players with CL experience previously. Don’t get me wrong, I’m pleased with who we are buying, I think it improves us. I’m just not sure how big the improvement will be.

Think we all want to be competing with Spurs and Arsenal, not West Ham, Wolves and Leicester. We need consistent performers created consistently good results - don’t think 10th is acceptable personally. Like you, I’m looking forward to next season and what the new players bring. A winning season and two good cup runs would be a start.

Hence me saying in paper. In general we have spent big money on top end championship players but so far we have bought players from the top 4 sides in their country which to me us a big step up from the market we were in.

An interesting short chat about SG here at the 50 min mark. Talking about building for now vs. building for the future. I think most of us agree what he is doing is the right thing for us. We've been planning for long enough, we have a young enough team, we need players to push through the glass ceilings and then some of the younger players should be starting to really show their quality in 1 to 2 seasons.

Then we can also bring in my talented players as we'll be a more attractive proposition. All about execution by SG from here.