The Stadium!

Tottenham’s new stadium will not open until March
updated
Matt Hughes, Deputy Football Correspondent
January 9 2019, 10:30am, The Times
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fda29ce8c-13e8-11e9-8239-c0a124428b01.jpg

The new stadium will open with a capacity of 62,062Twitter
Save

Tottenham Hotspur have announced that their new stadium will not open until at least March but the club have still not confirmed when the first match will be.

Spurs’s Premier League home fixtures against Watford on January 30, Newcastle United on February 2, and Leicester City on February 10 will all be played at Wembley. The Champions League last-16 tie against Borussia Dortmund on February 13 will also take place at the national stadium.

Tottenham are in talks with the contractors, Mace, and Haringey Council to determine when they can hold the formal test events that are required before the club can receive the necessary safety certificates.

Tottenham face Arsenal on March 2 but the visit of Crystal Palace on March 16 is the most likely opening fixture. They are reluctant to stage their first game at the new stadium against Arsenal due to security issues and the possibility of suffering an embarrassing defeat to their north London rivals.

Supporters had initially been told to expect the new stadium to open in September only for delays in the contruction process to force the club into extending their temporary tenancy of Wembley Stadium.

In December it was reported that the delays owed to problems with safety systems at the ground. Since then the club have arranged test events for a limited number of spectators, in order to dry-run the ticketing system.

Mauricio Pochettino, the Spurs manager, said in late November that he and his squad were prepared to be patient over the move, which he hoped would happen by February.

“We need to wish and hope that in January or February we can move there and it will be a fantastic moment for everyone — the supporters, the players, it will be a massive boost,” Pochettino said at the time. “To wait maybe one or two months more, we need to have patience. We are so excited and cannot wait to move.”

It's frustrating as hell - but we're in the main contractors and Haringay's hands now.

Our claim for contractual damages should be accumulating like mad now; unless of course we screwed up our performance clauses.

It's frustrating as hell - but we're in the main contractors and Haringay's hands now.

Our claim for contractual damages should be accumulating like mad now; unless of course we screwed up our performance clauses.

I was shocked when I recently found out the profit margin on such big construction projects. It came to my attention after the Carillion collapse. They were bidding low and winning contracts with little margin and paid the price. If I remember rightly profit of 1.5 % was mentioned .

I wonder what the profit margin was on our stadium and what will be left if any after late delivery penalties if any ?

I was shocked when I recently found out the profit margin on such big construction projects. It came to my attention after the Carillion collapse. They were bidding low and winning contracts with little margin and paid the price. If I remember rightly profit of 1.5 % was mentioned .

I wonder what the profit margin was on our stadium and what will be left if any after late delivery penalties if any ?

If you can make 2% overall on a big construction deal, you've done extremely well as the main contractor. Much of how a margin is made or increased by a main constractor is by financial/cash management - not the actual fees themselves.

I play Table tennis with a guy who led the way in building most of the new stadiums in the UK in the last 20 years on one level or another and who also wrote a scathing report on the short-comings of Wembley for the FA (which will never see the light of day now) and if the overal deal showed between 1.5 to 2.5 net margin , he and his team(s) were in clover.

This is a sobering read:

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/market-data/top-100-construction-companies/2017

If you can make 2% overall on a big construction deal, you've done extremely well as the main contractor. Much of how a margin is made or increased by a main constractor is by financial/cash management - not the actual fees themselves.

I play Table tennis with a guy who led the way in building most of the new stadiums in the UK in the last 20 years on one level or another and who also wrote a scathing report on the short-comings of Wembley for the FA (which will never see the light of day now) and if the overal deal showed between 1.5 to 2.5 net margin , he and his team(s) were in clover.

This is a sobering read:

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/market-data/top-100-construction-companies/2017

I wonder how much profit will be eaten away by penalties for our stadium ? The risk seems too much to quote low for such a build.

I played table tennis to a fair level a long time ago. Not as daft a sport as it's ping pong name suggests. My brother and I used to practice together a lot as we had our own table at home, then we played in a league in London in later years. We used to take great pleasure in smashing the ball legitimately and winning the point while leaving a red mark on each other's thigh or arm where the ball hit at god knows what MPH !!!!

I wonder how much profit will be eaten away by penalties for our stadium ? The risk seems too much to quote low for such a build.

I played table tennis to a fair level a long time ago. Not as daft a sport as it's ping pong name suggests. My brother and I used to practice together a lot as we had our own table at home, then we played in a league in London in later years. We used to take great pleasure in smashing the ball legitimately and winning the point while leaving a red mark on each other's thigh or arm where the ball hit at god knows what MPH !!!!

We now know that Mace undertook the works uder a Construction management Contract - so that 'all' they were responsible for was overseeing the directly constracted trades ( i.e. certification, site management, testing etc) - how much penalties they are responsible for may well me very limited.

The main pain might well be against those who won the electrical/safety systems design, wiring and implementation - and even then it might be that subsquential damages and penalties could well be limited.

Mace, oddly may well come out of this making more money that they originally planned for!

Until we see financial results and notes to accounts for 2018/19 and then 2019/20 we really are just guessing now as the varies contractors will all be undetaking a CYA exercise ...

Love the old TT, play for a few hours every week to a decent standard, would like to play more, but limited by time, help keeps me fit and the bunch we play with have turned it into a real social experince post-matches/end of year etc.

It's not quite a replacement for squash, but skill levels are high, intensity is pretty good, but got no choice really as years of football/squash have destroyed my knees!

We now know that Mace undertook the works uder a Construction management Contract - so that 'all' they were responsible for was overseeing the directly constracted trades ( i.e. certification, site management, testing etc) - how much penalties they are responsible for may well me very limited.

The main pain might well be against those who won the electrical/safety systems design, wiring and implementation - and even then it might be that subsquential damages and penalties could well be limited.

Mace, oddly may well come out of this making more money that they originally planned for!

Until we see financial results and notes to accounts for 2018/19 and then 2019/20 we really are just guessing now as the varies contractors will all be undetaking a CYA exercise ...

Love the old TT, play for a few hours every week to a decent standard, would like to play more, but limited by time, help keeps me fit and the bunch we play with have turned it into a real social experince post-matches/end of year etc.

It's not quite a replacement for squash, but skill levels are high, intensity is pretty good, but got no choice really as years of football/squash have destroyed my knees!
I am 58 now so my style would probably be more defensive. I have not played for many years. I played against older opponents in the league and they were crafty buggers. I remember watching a tournament and a defensive player in particular. Gabin was his surname. He chopped everything back from a good 15 or 20 feet from the table relentlessly. He was playing Chinese and Japanese players and beating them purely with defence and forcing mistakes.

I used to play to 21 , not sure how the new scoring even works now.

Does anyone know the latest on naming rights?
Are we even going to have some major investor/brand pay ludicrous amounts to give the new WHL a name?
Will it be
‘The Nike Stadium’?
‘Levy’s Toilet Bowl’?
‘Valentinos’?
‘Pukka Pies R Us’?

Any clues yet??

Are we even going to have some major investor/brand pay ludicrous amounts to give the new WHL a name?
Will it be
‘The Nike Stadium’?
‘Levy’s Toilet Bowl’?
‘Valentinos’?
‘Pukka Pies R Us’?

Any clues yet??

Tight Corner Stadium. Steep Ramp Stadium ?

Will it be
‘The Nike Stadium’?
‘Levy’s Toilet Bowl’?
‘Valentinos’?
‘Pukka Pies R Us’?

Any clues yet??

The Amazon.

I am 58 now so my style would probably be more defensive. I have not played for many years. I played against older opponents in the league and they were crafty buggers. I remember watching a tournament and a defensive player in particular. Gabin was his surname. He chopped everything back from a good 15 or 20 feet from the table relentlessly. He was playing Chinese and Japanese players and beating them purely with defence and forcing mistakes.

I used to play to 21 , not sure how the new scoring even works now.

3 or 5 games to 11.

Played in national championships as a junior and won a few London tournaments as a kid. Great game.

Used to love playing to what I thought was a good standard , for not a lot of outlay as a kid growing up . Did well in the local leagues ,until someone replaced the bits of ply with pimply rubber , with the smooth rubber faced ,sponge layer bats that my dad couldn't afford ,so it was goodnight Vienna to my table tennis aspirations . Haven't played since .really enjoyed it though .

Not sure how that contributes to the topic or the thread ,but we ain't got much else to chat about on here at the moment ha ha

We used to use Butterfly rubber on our bats. I think it was from Japan. Had to replace it periodically. Before playing by about an hour ran the bat under hot tap then shake dry, not wipe. Made the rubber sticky and tacky so the ball would pick up more spin. Towel grip to handle to stop slipping. Best quality grade balls used to be 3 stars I think, hard and thicker gauge.

3 or 5 games to 11.

Played in national championships as a junior and won a few London tournaments as a kid. Great game.

We still play doubles to 21, singles to 11. Once a week for 2-3 hours, about to do two evenings a week.

Just moving to a bigger venue, all mates - 8-12 of turn up, started as an alturnative to squash would you believe (as we've all had one set of injuries/ops at some point) - really contributes to our overall fitness.

Nothing to do with the stadium at all, but just so you all know TT is going through a bit of resurgence now - and sky are really pushing it again, so I think you'll see it more popular than it has been since my mate Sky Andrews played!

We still play doubles to 21, singles to 11. Once a week for 2-3 hours, about to do two evenings a week.

Just moving to a bigger venue, all mates - 8-12 of turn up, started as an alturnative to squash would you believe (as we've all had one set of injuries/ops at some point) - really contributes to our overall fitness.

Nothing to do with the stadium at all, but just so you all know TT is going through a bit of resurgence now - and sky are really pushing it again, so I think you'll see it more popular than it has been since my mate Sky Andrews played!

Used to watch on TV, quite well suited as a TV sport. It's a relatively cheap sport to participate in and a sports hall can accommodate a good number of tables. Could be a sport worth investing in and promoting from both a youngsters and older keep fit players. Get kids off the streets maybe. Youth clubs of course used to have a table or two.

Remember Desmond Douglas and Carl Preen I think it was. ?