The Stadium! | Page 105 | Vital Football

The Stadium!

WW -- Sorry for beating you to the punch. lol

As for the prominent section of glass on the South Stand, I'm guessing that's where they'll perch the Cockerel. Not sure if they'll design a new one and house the old one in the Tottenham experience or somewhere else in the stadium if they do that. As I said, it's just guesswork.

I went for a stadium tour about eighteen months or so ago , and couldn't believe they had the original cockerel on display in the main entrance foyer. I was actually touching it and had to refrain from giving it a man hug . I had some photos taken on my old blackberry phone which " died " just afterwards,sadly, so I haven't seen them since .

Me posing with my arm around my mate , the cockerel ! Priceless

WW -- Sorry for beating you to the punch. lol

As for the prominent section of glass on the South Stand, I'm guessing that's where they'll perch the Cockerel. Not sure if they'll design a new one and house the old one in the Tottenham experience or somewhere else in the stadium if they do that. As I said, it's just guesswork.
Wouldnt that be amazing , having the cockerel perched up there above everybody .
On some of those drone shots ,you can see a reservoir in the background . The house I was born in is just the other side of that . There is/ was ( not sure if it's still there ) a pub called the Ferry Boat Inn and I can only assume that before my time , when dinosaurs ruled the earth, there would have been some sort of ferry across the way . No luck like that when I used to walk there from Walthamstow .
When we had a cup replay or European games ,on a Wednesday evening , we would walk there straight from school, get to the ground really early and just hang around outside . We were always some of the first to get in ,run to our spot at the pitch side and watch the game peering through those metal hoops that were on top of the perimeter wall.
In those days ,on a Saturday when the first team were away ,the reserves played at home . For sixpence (old money) you could watch the game from anywhere in the stadium and just walk around anywhere . There were still a few thousand spectators there but it was quiet enough to hear the players shouting to each other ,encouraging , ranting , telling who to do what , ...I learnt a lot from that .
On the perimeter wall there was an alphabet which related to other games being played that day , the games being printed in the programme . Some chap in a white knee length coat would put the half time scores up on match days . On the days when the first team were away ,they had a system whereby the bloke in the white coat could display the Spurs score every fifteen minutes . He had to walk half the length of the pitch along the sidelines with the numbered boards and took great delight in keeping it all secret until he could display it for all to see .
How things have changed

It’s really interesting to see the pitch being constructed on the trays. Is that sand they are levelling out? (As a drainage aid/base for soil and turf?). I noticed that they are setting the trays out in stages, supposedly to make room for the works vehicles, storage etc. with them not being fully pulled out yet. It’s a huge logistics task. A nightmare to protect manage.

Any news on when the stadium will be ready?

Naming rights?

Hey Taricco. Nothing on Naming Rights just yet so it will be called The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium until they sort that out. Nothing new on the stadium being ready either. Just that there will be test events in August and the opening match being Liverpool on September 16th. Pissed off the KO is at 12:30 though, surely a 5:30 KO for our opening game there would have made a better day out of the whole opening ... but that's Sky for ya.

Wouldnt that be amazing , having the cockerel perched up there above everybody .
On some of those drone shots ,you can see a reservoir in the background . The house I was born in is just the other side of that . There is/ was ( not sure if it's still there ) a pub called the Ferry Boat Inn and I can only assume that before my time , when dinosaurs ruled the earth, there would have been some sort of ferry across the way . No luck like that when I used to walk there from Walthamstow .
When we had a cup replay or European games ,on a Wednesday evening , we would walk there straight from school, get to the ground really early and just hang around outside . We were always some of the first to get in ,run to our spot at the pitch side and watch the game peering through those metal hoops that were on top of the perimeter wall.
In those days ,on a Saturday when the first team were away ,the reserves played at home . For sixpence (old money) you could watch the game from anywhere in the stadium and just walk around anywhere . There were still a few thousand spectators there but it was quiet enough to hear the players shouting to each other ,encouraging , ranting , telling who to do what , ...I learnt a lot from that .
On the perimeter wall there was an alphabet which related to other games being played that day , the games being printed in the programme . Some chap in a white knee length coat would put the half time scores up on match days . On the days when the first team were away ,they had a system whereby the bloke in the white coat could display the Spurs score every fifteen minutes . He had to walk half the length of the pitch along the sidelines with the numbered boards and took great delight in keeping it all secret until he could display it for all to see .
How things have changed

Yeah, it'll be pretty cool to have the Cockerel located there. I had a good chuckle imagining you giving it a man hug on your stadium tour!

Cool stories about your youth, especially the guy in the white coat! How times have changed indeed!

I have officially been involved in getting the new stadium ready on time and spoken to a contractor working on site. Through an electrical component supplier I got connectors for the giant screens delivered as an emergency after a cock up.

Apparently the pitch has to be out 90 minutes before play. But I couldn't get a clear answer on how the sections knit together seamlessly.

I have done my bit in delivering the stadium on time or may have jinxed it to fail....as everything I do lately turns to shyte.

Nice one NRD. Great that you were involved in some way. Here's a video showing the mechanics of the retractable pitch for anyone who's interested (I wish I'd seen this earlier myself!). However, I'm not sure it will answer Nick's question about the sections fitting seamlessly together.

With so much talk and images of the new Stadium, here's some timelapses from just over a year ago, and basically the farewell to our old one.

What did I say....everything I touch turns to shyte. Our new stadium looks like a toilet. Everyone is having a right laugh. Didn't anyone spot it from the plans ? FFS it even tapers at one end, if it had been a perfect oval it would be ok. We should name it The Armitige Shanks .