The Stadium! | Page 103 | Vital Football

The Stadium!

What will the ‘Operational test events involve? Using crowds for checking out things as well as setting off the fire alarms etc?

I am increasingly more impressed by the quality of the build. The latest photos on the website are very impressive. This is going to be a world class stadium. I think Levy and the board need great commendation for their efforts, I think we will really catch the public’s imagination. It will be a major change factor in the clubs image. I wonder what the contractors think? They get to see the build close up.

If we can consolidate our image with even better things on the pitch, I think we’ll take the nation by storm. COME ON YOU SPURS.

NRD -- 400 quid a day! Nice work if you can get it, I don't blame the Sparkies for filling their boots!

And the club announced a while back that the stadium would have the temporary name Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (no point in having a farewell to the Lane only to temporarily call it the Lane again!) until they can find a naming rights partner. Of course, I'm gonna use fans prerogative and call it The Lane no matter what it ends up being named. Just like Dortmund have Signal Iguna Park as their commercial name but the fans always call it the Westfalenstadion.

What will the ‘Operational test events involve? Using crowds for checking out things as well as setting off the fire alarms etc?

I am increasingly more impressed by the quality of the build. The latest photos on the website are very impressive. This is going to be a world class stadium. I think Levy and the board need great commendation for their efforts, I think we will really catch the public’s imagination. It will be a major change factor in the clubs image. I wonder what the contractors think? They get to see the build close up.

If we can consolidate our image with even better things on the pitch, I think we’ll take the nation by storm. COME ON YOU SPURS.

No idea what events are being held, but they might hold a few open training sessions. They'll probably want to use the south and west entrances to begin with, followed by the away fans entrance at the North East and the general entrance in the East stand which looks like it'll be the final one completed. They are also obliged to monitor and test the crowd coming to and from the ground before the first official game/event there.

No idea what events are being held, but they might hold a few open training sessions. They'll probably want to use the south and west entrances to begin with, followed by the away fans entrance at the North East and the general entrance in the East stand which looks like it'll be the final one completed. They are also obliged to monitor and test the crowd coming to and from the ground before the first official game/event there.
Yes that's more or less what I thought Eagle man. Having commissioned large school buildings as a Premises Manager and Helth and Safety Officer, I could see that a staged approach to opening it to the public was needed to assess the possible operational problems. Naturally, the sooner the better for testing is the best approach but there will be things (unfortunately) that are only going to bee seen in a real live situation i.e. matchday with many management eyes watching for errors and problems.

Drone guy dropped another one. I guess he wanted to see that NFL badge on the pitch. Music on this one is pretty funky. Expected to see Starsky and Hutch roaring down the High Road in their Ford Gran Torino.

Just watching the construction of the NFL pitch on the cctv cameras and noticed (after they had put down the RHS of the pitch and it looked to be completed) three guys roll back lengthwise strips of the Astra turf to reveal the base material. My supposition is that these are the areas where the rollers for the top (grass) pitch for our games to roll out on, not to damage the Astra turf? Interesting. So, I suppose, they pull back the ‘carpet’ then roll out of the grass pans from under the south stand. It would be really interesting to see the top pitch roll out and back to see the mechanisms work.

Just watching the construction of the NFL pitch on the cctv cameras and noticed (after they had put down the RHS of the pitch and it looked to be completed) three guys roll back lengthwise strips of the Astra turf to reveal the base material. My supposition is that these are the areas where the rollers for the top (grass) pitch for our games to roll out on, not to damage the Astra turf? Interesting. So, I suppose, they pull back the ‘carpet’ then roll out of the grass pans from under the south stand. It would be really interesting to see the top pitch roll out and back to see the mechanisms work.

Hey WelshTel. I'm using some guess work here, but I think the artificial NFL pitch stays where it is. It's laid either side of the tracks for the retractable pitch with turf caps (which blend seemlessly with the laid artificial pitch) to cover these up for the NFL matches. These are then removed when the football pitch needs to be rolled out.

I thought at first the NFL pitch would be retractable as well and live underneath the pitch we use, but seeing the way they laid it out I just don't think that's the case. As I said, I'm just guessing so I could be completely wrong.

Thank you ‘Eagle’. I rather guessed it would pan out that way. I’m still confused though. Yesterday the NFL pitch looked done and dusted but today? They’ve removed a big section and it looks like they’ve put an Earth or some material over a lot of it, which if like yesterday early on, they then cleaned off. Totally confused now. I was the premises manger of a large comprehensive school campus and oversaw the installation of new pitches and new wings etc. But I have to say this has lost me now. I wish I could have a couple of days just looking around the construction, I find it fascinating.

Sorry ‘Eagle’ ‘meant to congratulate you on the great time lapse!
Great job. For us in the remote regions, it’s great to have any photos of what’s happening. It’s still hard to take in that this major development in the clubs history is actually happening and I find it SO exciting. My other hobby is saving daisy petals and size grading them (kidding!).

One thing that impresses me that I hadn't realised from previous concept visuals was how close it is to the high road!
You can literally walk right off the street and into the stadium.
Looks great!

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that all the properties facing the stadium will be demolished. If so, they may 'curve out' high road to extend the pavement in front of the entrance? Just seem too close to the road with 60 odd thousand trying to exit the area.

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that all the properties facing the stadium will be demolished. If so, they may 'curve out' high road to extend the pavement in front of the entrance? Just seem too close to the road with 60 odd thousand trying to exit the area.
CS, from what I have read and seen ,you are correct . All the properties between ,what will be the new White Hat Lane station and the ground ,will be knocked down to provide a massive open concourse . The last I heard , the demolition notices had been served on all the shops but no date was given .
The new ,enlarged station will be called Tottenam Hotspur station I believe .this won't be completed until next year along with the four tower blocks and the hotel , all on the football ground site . It really is a massive development.

WW, "It really is a massive development"

Absolutely. All the focus (especially by us fans) is on the stadium itself. But the development around the stadium is likely to go on for several years imo. I think the whole issues about access are going to be a nightmare to plan and unfortunately there will be a lot of unsightly boarding/barriers around the stadium to guide the fans past the 'building site'. The hotel and the 3 tower blocks on the South side are yet to start(?) and as you rightly pointed out the additional demolition and redevelpment in the vicinity is a different project altogether.

You gotta hand it to them though that the High Road has virtually remained open throughout this build.

WW, "It really is a massive development"

Absolutely. All the focus (especially by us fans) is on the stadium itself. But the development around the stadium is likely to go on for several years imo. I think the whole issues about access are going to be a nightmare to plan and unfortunately there will be a lot of unsightly boarding/barriers around the stadium to guide the fans past the 'building site'. The hotel and the 3 tower blocks on the South side are yet to start(?) and as you rightly pointed out the additional demolition and redevelpment in the vicinity is a different project altogether.

You gotta hand it to them though that the High Road has virtually remained open throughout this build.
CS I think the foundations of the hotel have started , not sure about the tower blocks. I was under the impression there were going to be 4 towers but you could be right with 3.
Quite how they get over the problem of crossing the High Road , I have no idea

Firstly let me say thanks for the info you guys have given (Walthamstow and Critical etc). It’s great to hear the gossip about what is being built, where, when etc. That’s stuff people like myself can’t hear or read.

The pitch today is covered at the north end, about a third of it and I’m wondering why?

I’m also thinking that the various concourses and the stands at the different levels could empty onto a bridge across the High Road to help with safety at the point of stadium emptying. I could see that many schemes could be added in the future.

Sorry ‘Eagle’ ‘meant to congratulate you on the great time lapse!
Great job. For us in the remote regions, it’s great to have any photos of what’s happening. It’s still hard to take in that this major development in the clubs history is actually happening and I find it SO exciting. My other hobby is saving daisy petals and size grading them (kidding!).

Welshtel -- I appreciate what you said but honestly I just copy and paste a link to a post on YouTube. The drone guy and the Timelapse dude are the ones who spend the time to put these together. Big up to them.