The squad as it stands....... | Vital Football

The squad as it stands.......

Kenny Burns Unit

Vital Newbie
So far we've brought in Dawson, Robinson, Carvalho, Dias, Goncalves and Soudani. It is fair to say a goalkeeper, right back, DCM and another striker should complete our business. Can't say for sure but according to reports these could potentially be Pantillimon, Byram, Colback/Vukcevic and one of Grabban\Bamford\Oliveira.

Supplementing these new players will be Smith, Darikwa, Fox, Figueiredo, Worrall, Osborn, Bridcutt, Guedioura, Watson, Cash, Lolley, Brereton and Murphy.

So ideally we would have a squad of 22 which would be supplemented by the youth players. That would be superb.

I think it's safe to assume that Henderson, Evtimov, Kapino, Mancienne, Traore, Bouchalakis, McKay, Ward, Cummings and Vellios will try to be moved on. Fingers crossed.

Walker (already), Yates, Ariyibi, Grant & Clough are likely to be loaned out again.

If we could achieve the above it would be an unprecedented pre-season. All the dross that has been holding us back for years will have gone and we will have a vibrant young team supplemented by older, experienced heads. I'm not saying we'll win the league but what a statement of intent this will be. We've no idea whether the team will fly out of the blocks or take a while to gel but it certainly should be interesting finding out!

Top post chap! When you look at the squad/ potential squad on paper it does look impressive. We look like we are finally getting a strong spine surrounded by flair players.

What is the obsession with a tiny squad?

No club ever aims for 22. It would not be superb, it would be stupid. Especially given our record with injuries, in which the last couple of years have been an abberation

24-25 is the general aim. We will have a squad that size whether players leave or not because the ones he wants to leave will not really be part of it.

The obsession with players leaving is bizarre. I've seen people on twitter saying that players leaving is more interesting to them than those arriving. What the hell?

I don't care who is leaving that we won't want any more. Whether they have to stay or get to go makes no difference to how much I will enjoy the season. It doesn't seem to have much bearing on the finances either.

So far we've brought in Dawson, Robinson, Carvalho, Dias, Goncalves and Soudani. It is fair to say a goalkeeper, right back, DCM and another striker should complete our business. Can't say for sure but according to reports these could potentially be Pantillimon, Byram, Colback/Vukcevic and one of Grabban\Bamford\Oliveira.

Supplementing these new players will be Smith, Darikwa, Fox, Figueiredo, Worrall, Osborn, Bridcutt, Guedioura, Watson, Cash, Lolley, Brereton and Murphy.

So ideally we would have a squad of 22 which would be supplemented by the youth players. That would be superb.

I think it's safe to assume that Henderson, Evtimov, Kapino, Mancienne, Traore, Bouchalakis, McKay, Ward, Cummings and Vellios will try to be moved on. Fingers crossed.

Walker (already), Yates, Ariyibi, Grant & Clough are likely to be loaned out again.

If we could achieve the above it would be an unprecedented pre-season. All the dross that has been holding us back for years will have gone and we will have a vibrant young team supplemented by older, experienced heads. I'm not saying we'll win the league but what a statement of intent this will be. We've no idea whether the team will fly out of the blocks or take a while to gel but it certainly should be interesting finding out!
What is the obsession with a tiny squad?

No club ever aims for 22. It would not be superb, it would be stupid. Especially given our record with injuries, in which the last couple of years have been an abberation

24-25 is the general aim. We will have a squad that size whether players leave or not because the ones he wants to leave will not really be part of it.

The obsession with players leaving is bizarre. I've seen people on twitter saying that players leaving is more interesting to them than those arriving. What the hell?

I don't care who is leaving that we won't want any more. Whether they have to stay or get to go makes no difference to how much I will enjoy the season. It doesn't seem to have much bearing on the finances either.
It would be an impressive squad though and this is the main thing.Our exact squad size is not known but it is obvious we have a plan for once with building a strong spine surrounded with players who can express themselves.Surely you can see the positives rather than focus on any negatives?

I certainly don't want players at training who are not in Karanka's plans. What's the point? The 22 I mentioned supplemented by the cream of the young lads would do me fine. The squad needs to be lean and keen, not bloated with players who are never going to play.

Of course players leaving makes a difference, Pope. Have you forgotten FFP or do you think they play for nothing?

Don't patronise me.

You don't have any better clue what the FFP situation is than I do. We have been crippled by it for years and suddenly we spend £13m on one player.

I don't know whether we are well within FFP, tight with it or just saying screw it. And neither do you.

Obviously we would like to see the likes of Traore move on. But unlike some fans, in our most 'sweet shop' transfer window for years it really isn't the part that I find remotely interesting.

Nor do I think a small squad is necessarily this panacea of performance. I've seen a small squad fall apart before with injuries. And I also think that we fans tend to overrate our young players, especially in terms of a promotion push.

The cliché "if they are good enough they are old enough" is bandied around as if it means you should always trust your young players. People miss the word "if"

I am curious as to who leaves as it has a bearing on who and how many players we can bring in which then has a bearing on what we do in the season.

Dead wood players are precisely that and if we can replace a few of them with players that we actually use them all the better.

None of us have to know our FFP situation to know that getting rid of unused players gives us more money to spend on other players

None of us have to know our FFP situation to know that getting rid of unused players gives us more money to spend on other players

Maybe if you have a couple of £30k per weekers to get rid of. But they have already gone. The likes of Traore and Ward are not on much- the latter was signed under embargo. There's not a huge amount of money to unlock in the likes of Walker or Clough.

I'm not saying don't get rid. Just that it's by far the most mundane part of a particularly interesting window for me

If them 10 players are only on £3k a week (very low estimate) then that's £30k a week. What's the point in having 10 players you aren't going to use when you can have one quality one on £30k a week?

If them 10 players are only on £3k a week (very low estimate) then that's £30k a week. What's the point in having 10 players you aren't going to use when you can have one quality one on £30k a week?

There isn't any point.

But if no one wants them, what are you going to do?

I'm not going to lose any sleep about it

Whether anyone wants them or not is a different matter. KBU said we should try and move them on, which I think most people agree with

Whether anyone wants them or not is a different matter. KBU said we should try and move them on, which I think most people agree with

I didn't say otherwise.

Just that I disagree with a tiny squad and the assumption that we have an army of top class young players ready to help us win promotion

I am somewhat bemused at the notion that we shouldn't be bothered about departures.
Without the players leaving that AK doesn't want, this impacts on the budget and wages available.
Therefore we may have a hold up in future signings as we need to sell first.

I didn't say otherwise.

Just that I disagree with a tiny squad and the assumption that we have an army of top class young players ready to help us win promotion

Most of us realise you just disagree with stuff for the sake of it, ive even bored myself the amount of times ive picked you up on the negativity, its 90% swayed that way, even when it makes you look like a pillock half the time. Read the posts for what they are instead of looking for anything at all to contradict with your opinion as tho it has any value whatsoever :spam:

Pope in "I am always right" shocker.

You can't help yourself can you Pope?

Pop this in your signature:

"Inhumanius et Sententiae"

Don't patronise me.

You don't have any better clue what the FFP situation is than I do. We have been crippled by it for years and suddenly we spend £13m on one player.

I don't know whether we are well within FFP, tight with it or just saying screw it. And neither do you.

Obviously we would like to see the likes of Traore move on. But unlike some fans, in our most 'sweet shop' transfer window for years it really isn't the part that I find remotely interesting.

Nor do I think a small squad is necessarily this panacea of performance. I've seen a small squad fall apart before with injuries. And I also think that we fans tend to overrate our young players, especially in terms of a promotion push.

The cliché "if they are good enough they are old enough" is bandied around as if it means you should always trust your young players. People miss the word "if"

Of course you can have an idea were we stand regarding FFP; you only have to look at the last three sets of accounts to work that out.

Clubs try and mask what they spend on certain transfers by not declaring the fee at the time, but they have to declare it in the accounts.

If we do not off load some players we will sail very close to the wind on wages; I would imagine the new guys are not playing for peanuts

How many players were in Calderwoods squad when we got promoted? I'm sure at one point Calderwood said he wanted to trim the squad down to 18.

I reckon there is at least 50 60 grand a week amongst that surplus which would make a major difference should FFP come knocking. Whether Forest are deep in the shit or not then by getting rid of unused players the finance are already in a healthier position for the next audit.
I think most fans are fed up of the deadwood wage draining dross that we've had over the past 15 years and would love to think we could get rid for once then sign a couple of Podences or a big name striker with change left. Just a little tidy up would be nice.